So What's The Go With Galaxy Malt?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we could be clutching at straws now...

:lol:

No, not at all... malt at any colour intensity measured in EBC can have differences in hue. All EBC measures is the colour value from pale to black. You'll still get variations in hue within that. To illustrate the point, in today's world of genetic engineering, a theoretical blue beer is a red beer is a green beer and they may all be, say, 5 EBC. You get that variation (but obviously subtler) depending on the grain (wheat, barley, rye, etc...), the variety, the malting techniques, the OG of the beer and so on.

Wes would be doing a betaglucanase rest which falls into that temp range, he speaks about it in this part of the post.

I wouldn't dream of brewing Galaxy without a beetlejuice rest either :unsure:

Love the malt 100% in my Aussies and pils.

Batz

Of necessity I've just done a 1970s style Carlton Draught tribute with BB Pale Pilsener,.............................. I'll be interested to see what the colour is like as well, but from AndrewQLD's rice lager in the DB I'm yet to be convinced.

Carlton wannabee (BB Pale Pilsener) was good and ready for racking today so I just did it now. It's as pale as a Barrow-Wight. On the other hand I recently brewed a Kiwi Blonde with the same malt, and put 150 of Carared in for some colour. It's nice and clear in the bottle now and it's turned out around the same colour (hue) as the galaxy-lager picture I posted at the beginning of this thread.

No, not at all... malt at any colour intensity measured in EBC can have differences in hue. All EBC measures is the colour value from pale to black. You'll still get variations in hue within that. To illustrate the point, in today's world of genetic engineering, a theoretical blue beer is a red beer is a green beer and they may all be, say, 5 EBC. You get that variation (but obviously subtler) depending on the grain (wheat, barley, rye, etc...), the variety, the malting techniques, the OG of the beer and so on.

Awesome next time someone offers me a brew I might throw a comment like "Wow the EBC value seems to be of a lesser value say 4Y but the chroma has brought out an intense brightness to the hue".

Gidday Batz,

I think for the "beetle juice rest" you would need to be at "41.35C for precisely 15.6 minutes" B) otherwise the claws will be too hard to be rehydrated properly.

But for those of you that are still watching, Galaxy is a barley variety that was bred for Asahi in Japan for their ultra clean lagers. The desire for a beta glucananse content relates pimarily to the post fermentation stage and the subsequent filtration to ensure they had the brightest and most stable beer possible.

I also understand that BB have bred another variety - Quaser - to take the place of Galaxy.

Oh, and re the comments on diastatic power, Galaxy is not a lot different from most Aussie malts. ie All have quite high DP levels - certainly a lot more than English ale malts. Galaxy's claim to fame is the higher than normal beta glucanase content.

Must get a hold of some Quaser and try a brew.

Wes

I wouldn't dream of brewing Galaxy without a beetlejuice rest either :unsure:

Love the malt 100% in my Aussies and pils.

Batz

Great info Wes,

As much as everyone loves the German malts there is a lot to be said for supporting the Aussie market.

Kabooby :)

Gidday Batz,

I think for the "beetle juice rest" you would need to be at "41.35C for precisely 15.6 minutes" B) otherwise the claws will be too hard to be rehydrated properly.

But for those of you that are still watching, Galaxy is a barley variety that was bred for Asahi in Japan for their ultra clean lagers. The desire for a beta glucananse content relates pimarily to the post fermentation stage and the subsequent filtration to ensure they had the brightest and most stable beer possible.

I also understand that BB have bred another variety - Quaser - to take the place of Galaxy.

Oh, and re the comments on diastatic power, Galaxy is not a lot different from most Aussie malts. ie All have quite high DP levels - certainly a lot more than English ale malts. Galaxy's claim to fame is the higher than normal beta glucanase content.

Must get a hold of some Quaser and try a brew.

Wes

OK hard to believe I can get any brighter but it's "beetle juice rest" for my next Aussie then.

Thanks for the info Wes.

Batz

Having walked around Ross's store room and had the opportunity to taste a large number of malts I have to say BB malts tasted great. If I was eating malted barley for breakfast I know what malt would go into my breaky bowl.

Thanks Kai. That's one I'm going to tuck into my "That helps me on a HB Scale how?" file. :p

Warren -

EBC is strictly a laboratory measurement of the amount of Blue Light (at a single frequency 427nm if I recall correctly) that gets absorbed as the light passes through a 10mm thick sample.
It has NO bearing on the colour of the beer; you could accurately report the EBC for red and green food dye at various concentrations.
As most brewing ingredients throw similar hues, EBC is a good rough guide to what the finished beer will look like, but a guide, far from definitive.

MHB

Thanks Mark, that's a better explanation than mine.

Slightly off topic here but I made an American amber with BB ale malt and I still consider it the best ale I have ever made. I recently replicated it but used TF Maris Otter I was 'overstocked' on at the time. It's now being drunk and whilst the malt hit is incredible, the beer has a far less clean finish and is definitely more chewy. I much preferred the BB ale version which gave a smoothness to the malt flavour and aroma.
I've now used all the BB malts with great results and, apart from my Overtly UK bitters, I'll be using them as my base malts.

Having walked around Ross's store room and had the opportunity to taste a large number of malts I have to say BB malts tasted great. If I was eating malted barley for breakfast I know what malt would go into my breaky bowl.
Mmm... malty breaky...

Hmm, interesting comments about BB malts. As much as I think they are very good, I have been a little disappointed with BB Pale. I have always been a JW man prior to this and I think JW Pils is better than BB Pale. I haven't tried BB Ale malt though so that may be another story...

Hmm, interesting comments about BB malts. As much as I think they are very good, I have been a little disappointed with BB Pale. I have always been a JW man prior to this and I think JW Pils is better than BB Pale. I haven't tried BB Ale malt though so that may be another story...

Yes I agree the JWM export pils is much better than BB pale, the BB galaxy and BB ale are awesome but the pale I believe is possibly closer to a swill lager malt designed for giving body to beers with sugar etc or low gravity. The galaxy can do the same as that but at the same time its much better and more versitle as far as my experience with them all as told me.
Makes a good beer and all but BB galaxy and JWM export pils is better.

Mmm... malty breaky...

SWMBO thinks I've already got a problem , just wait til I'm tucking into a bowl of MO for breakfast :rolleyes: .

hmmm just re-reading up on galaxy malt.....and the real question is wtf i was under the impression that galaxy was an ale malt! no idea what planet i was on (yes bad pun). im sure someone told me that galaxy was a better malt than using marris otter (which is of course an ale malt). clearly i misunderstood?

At the same colour spec you can still have differences in hue.

I think we could be clutching at straws now...

Kai's Point Exacty, Light Straw or White straw. :lol: Bigger issue with daker beers, red/mahogany/brown can have the same SRM. depending on the malts used will determine the hue but light density does not change.

I made a Galaxian Pale Ale with 4kg of Galaxy malt, 1kg of Munich I and used Galaxy hops. Very tasty brew indeed, I plan on knocking up some lager malt/ale yeast summer quaffers in the next few months....

Crundle

Have never tried Galaxy myself. I did try a bag of the BB Pale Ale a year or so back & liked it in cleaner ales.
I have been thinking about getting a bag of Pils malt now that the weather is heating up (?!.. well it was last week) Mainly for a Saison, & some lighter Summer style ales & APA's. Has anyone tried it in a Saison? any thoughts?
Actually Bribies flavour description & it's high DP have me thinking it might also be interesting in a big beer like an American Barleywine? has anyone tried it?

Latest posts

Back