So What's The Go With Galaxy Malt?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
I want my Galaxy waaaah waaaah waaah :icon_drool2:

I think I read that the new seasons will be coming in about the middle of May, anyone have any news? Yes I know BB pale pilsener is very similar but with my rice and maize brews, and getting into lager season, I'm hanging out for my favourite grain and its glorious colour. The only malt in the following shot is Galaxy.

solly_cerveza.JPG

The bottles contain mine, not the products of the fine Modelo mob. Not that you would want to press anything Mexican to your lips at the moment. :blink:

I want my Galaxy waaaah waaaah waaah :icon_drool2:

I think I read that the new seasons will be coming in about the middle of May, anyone have any news? Yes I know BB pale pilsener is very similar but with my rice and maize brews, and getting into lager season, I'm hanging out for my favourite grain and its glorious colour. The only malt in the following shot is Galaxy.

View attachment 26661

The bottles contain mine, not the products of the fine Modelo mob. Not that you would want to press anything Mexican to your lips at the moment. :blink:

I love my Galaxy as well, and I wasn't falling for some old BB Pilsner will do the job either.

Batz

Any place for Galaxy hops in here as well?

Hey guys, why do you love it so much??

:icon_cheers: CB
Marketing is a great thing! Yes Galaxy is a very good malt with high diastatic numbers ( great for high adjunct beers) but a good brewer could use any of the Burston malts to produce a great beer.Galaxy will be back in WA mid May.BTW watch out for the new Belgian malts. Cryer malts are really putting a fantastic selection of malts out there for us !
Thanks David and crew. :beerbang:
GB

Hey guys, why do you love it so much??

:icon_cheers: CB

I use all the BB malts, I like the ale malt in an American Pale / Amber and in an Aussie Old. The pilseners are also nice as a clean malt in a beer where the hops are at the forefront. But for me, in a delicate high-adjunct beer such as an American Classic Pilsener or a Cerveza the Galaxy produces a crystal clear lager with a glorious golden colour (no other colouring malts required, see photo) and the most delicious malt flavour like walking past the Arnotts factory when they are baking butter shortbread. :icon_drool2: Love the stuff.

I use all the BB malts, I like the ale malt in an American Pale / Amber and in an Aussie Old. The pilseners are also nice as a clean malt in a beer where the hops are at the forefront. But for me, in a delicate high-adjunct beer such as an American Classic Pilsener or a Cerveza the Galaxy produces a crystal clear lager with a glorious golden colour (no other colouring malts required, see photo) and the most delicious malt flavour like walking past the Arnotts factory when they are baking butter shortbread. :icon_drool2: Love the stuff.

wow....Bribie you have me sold! :icon_drool2: One of the things I have been looking for in my ales, APA especially, is that nice subtle biscuity taste that can still shine through under the hops....Maybe I should give this one a go?

Bribie BB Pale (which is a Pilsner malt) will handle a fairly high adjunct load. I've gotten away with 25% non-malt adjunct which consequently was flaked rice. Had no problems whatsoever converting either. If you're stuck I think it's a more than reasonable alternative to Galaxy.

FWIW Barrett Burston list the colours of these two malts the same 3-4 EBC. So "theoretically" you shouldn't experience any real colour difference.

Warren -

Of necessity I've just done a 1970s style Carlton Draught tribute with BB Pale Pilsener, rice, sugar and Superpride so the proof of the pudding will be in the eating (or drinking) :icon_cheers: Going into secondary in a few days time. With that load of adjuncts let's see whether the malt shines or not. I'll be interested to see what the colour is like as well, but from AndrewQLD's rice lager in the DB I'm yet to be convinced.

Heres some totally excellent info on the galaxy malt in the form of a post to the aus craft brewing digest from Wes.
I'am sure he won't mind it being reposted here for the benefit of everyone using it.

Graham in singing the praises of Galaxy malt, has jogged me into response mode. Actually he is right about Galaxy - I believe it is the best pale/pils/lager malt currently produced in Australia, and yet has some interesting characteristics that bare elaboration.

First some background: Galaxy malt is malted from 100% Galaxy barley. Developed by Barrett Burston, the Galaxy strain is contract grown for Barretts mostly in northwestern Victoria and southwestern NSW and is primarily an export only malt. The barley produces slightly smaller grains than other strains and the plant itself is more bushy and does not grow very tall. This "bushiness" helps smother any weeds and in turn means less use of weed control sprays.

Specifications are:
Moisture 4.5% max.
Extract (dry basis) 81% min.
Colour 3.3 - 4.0 EBC
Total nitrogen 1.58 - 1.75% (9.9 - 10.9%)
Kolbach index 40 - 46
Diastatic power 250 min (degrees WK)
Beta-glucan 180 max. mg/L
AAL 80% min (Apparent Attenuation Limit)

The description on the spec sheet reads:
"Galaxy malt is a premium export lager malt produced exclusively from Barrett Burston's own strain of Galaxy barley. Suitable for use in lagers, dry ales and stouts, Galaxy will finish dry and clean when mashed at normal saccharification temperatures (64 - 66C), but can be mashed at higher temperatures (68 - 70C) to afford more body to the finished beer. The malt is characterised by its versatility and ability to cope with high levels of cereal adjunct while offering greater levels of attenuation than those found in other pale malts."

Galaxy also has high levels of Beta-glucanase (as distinct from Beta-glucan) and this characteristic is of immense interest to professional brewers. Now before you all dive off to find your copy of Noonan's NBLB, let me explain. Beta-glucan is the stuff that causes stuck mashes and haze and must be controlled in the malting process. Beta-glucanase enzymes break down the beta-glucan into glucose in the malting process and usually do not make it into the final malted barley in any significant strength. Galaxy however does retain good levels of Beta-gluconase and this is used to good effect by commercial brewers in a sub-40C rest to further degrade the Beta-glucans and better set key parameters such as foam head, body and most importantly the "lauterability" of the wort (just sent the spell-checker into spasm!). As Graham pointed out, Galaxy is a very clean lautering malt and this coupled with the requirements for long term stability in fully packaged beer, is what the big boys are looking for. For us homebrewers this surfeit of Beta-gluconase can be used to handle high levels of cereal adjunct and enable a better breakdown of beta-glucans into fermentables. Stouts (made with say 15% flaked barley) will produce a nice dry finish because there is little unfermentable material left in the wort.

Galaxy is also by nature a highly attenuable malt. The AAL of 80% in the specs above is quite high - most mega-lager malts would be in the 70's - and this characteristic makes for a fine dry Koelsch, or a dry stout. If you want to use it as a pils/lager malt then use a main saccharification rest of 68 - 70C. On the issue of protein rests - I would suggest 10 to 15 minutes as a guideline and possibly longer if you are using a cereal adjunct such as FB where that cereal will be providing body/head/mouthfeel in its own right.

A pointer on levels of modification - Galaxy is a FULLY modified malt and will produce great beers with a simple single step infusion. You dont need to go the masochist route like Graham did, but I would suggest that you mash in a couple of degrees higher than normal to avoid an over-dry finish in your beer. There are several microbrewers now using Galaxy and doing just that.

This caution also applies to Weyermann malts. They are FULLY modified and dont need a protein rest, in fact a 20 min rest at 38 - 40C is TOO long and will reduce the head considerably. I know this from a recent experience!

So, happy brewing - I'm off, can feel a Koelsch coming on......

Wes

Isn't 38-40C an acid rest? 50-55C is a protein rest...
Love this malt but beware the lazy boil, otherwise DMS results.

Good advice, I always do a nice roll for at least 90 minutes (usually about 100 mins with bittering addition after ten minutes when some break is happening).

Bribie BB Pale (which is a Pilsner malt) will handle a fairly high adjunct load. I've gotten away with 25% non-malt adjunct which consequently was flaked rice. Had no problems whatsoever converting either. If you're stuck I think it's a more than reasonable alternative to Galaxy.

FWIW Barrett Burston list the colours of these two malts the same 3-4 EBC. So "theoretically" you shouldn't experience any real colour difference.

Warren -

At the same colour spec you can still have differences in hue.

Im confused Bribie especially after the quoted text from Jayse. Are you referring to BB Galaxy or a different kind of malt called Galaxy?

Im confused Bribie especially after the quoted text from Jayse. Are you referring to BB Galaxy or a different kind of malt called Galaxy?

BB Galaxy. As they say makes a great beer especially when using adjuncts etc. However that quote is very helpful as I've been mashing it at 65 under the impression that it would clean up the adjuncts better, but as suggested I'll mash at 68 or above. If I can eventually get my hands on some that is :icon_cheers:

Isn't 38-40C an acid rest? 50-55C is a protein rest...
Love this malt but beware the lazy boil, otherwise DMS results.

Wes would be doing a betaglucanase rest which falls into that temp range, he speaks about it in this part of the post.

Galaxy also has high levels of Beta-glucanase (as distinct from Beta-glucan) and this characteristic is of immense interest to professional brewers. Now before you all dive off to find your copy of Noonan's NBLB, let me explain. Beta-glucan is the stuff that causes stuck mashes and haze and must be controlled in the malting process. Beta-glucanase enzymes break down the beta-glucan into glucose in the malting process and usually do not make it into the final malted barley in any significant strength. Galaxy however does retain good levels of Beta-gluconase and this is used to good effect by commercial brewers in a sub-40C rest to further degrade the Beta-glucans and better set key parameters such as foam head, body and most importantly the "lauterability" of the wort (just sent the spell-checker into spasm!)

I think we could be clutching at straws now...

:lol:
I have had quite a lenghty persitant debate with david cryer about this and even though somewhat drunk and ignorant at the time I walked/staggered away at the end of the night believing it.

Latest posts

Back