So That's What It Feels Like...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diesel80

Reaction score
Was only 4 weeks old when it blew. First A/G is no more.
Just started to taste the part, cleared magnificently for a no-chill.
The head was fantastic.

Alas there is nothing left but fond memories now.
Can't believe i never even took a photo of it. Too caught up in drinking it!

Oh well, better set my new monster mill up for a brew day in the near future!

Cheers,
D80

Collect your tears of loss and heartache and mash another beer with them. :icon_cheers:

I remember my first AG very well. I, however took photos to cherish the memories... Memories...

:lol:

Was only 4 weeks old when it blew.
The head was fantastic.

Alas there is nothing left but fond memories now.
Can't believe i never even took a photo of it.

Oh well, better set my new monster for a day in the near future!
Yeah...I feel your pain... :icon_cheers:

4 weeks. Thats impressive. I think mine only lasted a day or two :D

You've inspired me to actually take a picture of my first AG in the glass... not the clearest beer you've ever seen, but I blame the (very) late hop addition (which may or may not have been in an attempt to mask a slight sour smell).

Regardless, i'm enjoying the hell out of drinking it, and there's plenty more to come... but yeah: photos' of the "first" will be pure gold once i'm old and jaded

when there is no more of the first big IPA you ever made, you cry

then you cry again because the next one has more carared and late hops in it and it tastes like the tears of baby jesus

i still dont know if i want photos of mine, sure its a great beer :icon_drool2:

but it looks like i filled my glass by scooping it through a muddy puddle :unsure:

i still dont know if i want photos of mine, sure its a great beer :icon_drool2:

but it looks like i filled my glass by scooping it through a muddy puddle :unsure:

:lol:

Yep, a few of my earlier beers looked like this also.

when there is no more of the first big IPA you ever made, you cry

then you cry again because the next one has more carared and late hops in it and it tastes like the tears of baby jesus
8 pounds 6 ounce baby Jesus?

Lol, lets hope so!

I managing to keep it together, since i have A/G #2 in the keezer mourning the loss of A/G #1. Trying to resist the urge to drink A/G #2 as it has only been in the keg 8 days and 17 hours, 52 mins.

Cheers,
D80

My first ever all grain was crap. Nothing actually went wrong in the process, and I've followed the same process since, but for some reason the first one just wasn't right. The second one onwards have been good though.

My first kit was crap..But my fist AG was bloody great and my 2nd and 3rd.

About to bottle my 4th and it looks promising.

All of which I attribute to the great help support and advice I received from AHB and its members.

So thank you to everyone, much appreciated. :icon_cheers:

The reason I'm looking forward to xmas so much this year is that on Christmas eve 2011 my first AG will have been in the bottle two week and I'm going to crack it. I've never looked forward to chrissy so much in my life!

The reason I'm looking forward to xmas so much this year is that on Christmas eve 2011 my first AG will have been in the bottle two week and I'm going to crack it. I've never looked forward to chrissy so much in my life!

HAHA... Yeh thats a bloody good reason

My first ever all grain was crap. Nothing actually went wrong in the process, and I've followed the same process since, but for some reason the first one just wasn't right. The second one onwards have been good though.

Thats a big ditto for me

Granted I missed a couple of targets and only got about 1040 in the fermenter, but it just didnt taste right at the end of it

Havent had too many problems since...

Could also be the fact that the first AG was the only brew not to have used the temp controlled fridge since it got installed the week afterwards...

Either way things have been on the up since :icon_chickcheers:

Sponge

Looking back now I think there's a chance maybe I used unmalted wheat and didn't get full conversion or something. In hindsight I believe everyone's first all grain brew should be 100% malted barley and a recipe that is forgiving if efficiency figures vary 10% either way of the target, including the hop utilisation factor changes that efficiency changes bring.

EDIT: Double checked my order from back then and I definitely ordered malted wheat, could have accidentally been sent unmalted. Dunno. Beer was cloudy (not chill haze) and tasted wrong.

:icon_offtopic:

8 pounds 6 ounce baby Jesus?
...in your golden, fleece diapers, with your curled-up, fat, balled-up little fists pawin' at the air.

I like to think of Jesus like a shapeshifter, or a changeling, like that guy--You ever hear of that TV show Manimal?

Lol, lets hope so!

I managing to keep it together, since i have A/G #2 in the keezer mourning the loss of A/G #1. Trying to resist the urge to drink A/G #2 as it has only been in the keg 8 days and 17 hours, 52 mins.

Cheers,
D80

Geez mate, thats been ready for at least 1 day, 17 hours and 52 mins...

I just put a keg of late hopped AIPA in my keezer and have it gassing up. Finally I have 3 beers on tap and a "spare" on carbing up. Even had some over to fill 3 bottles with. Now I only have 1 fermenting though, so better get a brewday going soon.
Going away for a few weeks on boxing day though. Not long enough between now and then to get primary done, so might leave it until closer to departure date so it can have 3 1/2 weeks in primary until I get home.

Feels great having my keezer finally full though. :)

Latest posts

Back