So Sick Of Cleaning

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berazafi

Reaction score
Gday guys

I have noticed scatter throughout threads little tid bits of peoples easier ways of cleaning

I constantly find myself cleaning, i spend more time cleaning than brewing it seems.

My house seems to get covered in water, i get covered in water, im getting sick of it

Could people post up there ways of making cleaning and sanitising easier (pics would be good of gadgets

Thanks

David

Of all my equipment, this was the best buy and don't know why I didn't get one sooner. Cleans my bottles and fermenters well. This also decreased my cleaning time and water mess. Cost me about $15 posted from ebay. :)

washing_sterilising_4.jpg

Brass bottle pressure cleaner. Screw them on to a tap fitting. Applies great pressure into a bottle and gets all the gunk moving. The wire activates the water when depressed

I started kegging, it reduced my cleaning time and increased my drinking time.

Sorry guys i already keg, forgot to mention that, couldnt handle having to bottle as well that would send me insane

second that one kids are even better if you can make it in to a game.

Barls,
This would mean you need to reproduce. Something I am sure you would struggle with, chasing fishermen. But for a price I could send you a blank check(*wink*) Damn the E & D world we live in....

HK

who said anything about them being my kids, god i hope not im too young and good looking,
im talking from experience mate, my brother and i use to get conned to do the old mans stock take ie who could count their box of items faster.
i dont need no blank check mate i dont get close to those antennas when they are running

The immortal words of my uni lecturer were, paraphased, "If you don't like cleaning, brewing is not the career for you and you might as well turn around and walk out that door right now." :)

If you are talking about cleaning kegs search for my post with the words "cleaning gone" or "keg cleaning" or "forever" in it...too drunk to remember exactly what I called it, but you'll find it :chug:

PZ.

berazafi said:
Sorry guys i already keg, forgot to mention that, couldnt handle having to bottle as well that would send me insane
[post="123962"][/post]​

What's your cleaning methods?
The only thing I do is sanitise the fermenter and mixing spoon. I use the likes of 1 Shot (1 teaspoon per litre of water) or Iodophor (1ml per litre). Then it's just a matter of making sure it gets to all the fermenter surface and that's about it. As for the kegs, I usually just give them a rinse when they are empty and give them a squirt of Co2 and sit them in the corner until they are ready to be used.
Couldn't be easier.

Napi san is the greatest cleaner, next to that the next best thing is a girl friend in a invisible uniform using her elbow grease.

Jayse

I have the 3-stage line up, fermentor, CC, keg.

My theory and it has been working for me for the past 6 months, I time as my keg runs out to have a fermentor finishing. (or as close as possible) When the keg runs out leave it alone in the fridge full of Co2.

Once your fermentor is ready, degauss and open the keg. It will still be sanitised. Taste the CC to ensure it is not infected. A quick hose out of the keg and using a sanitised hose pour the CC into the keg.
Next taste the fermentor ensuring its ok to continue. Since you know the CC were ok, a hose out and then pur the fermentor into it.
Finally the fermentor is also currently sanitary so a quick hose and drop another batch with a sanitised spoon. (normally I rotate my fermentors, so I will clean/sanitise my second one at this stage, and leave the first one in soak overnight with fresh water, and I will need to sanitise the second one prior to use.)

Remember if any of your equipment should be left sitting around; re-sanitising will be required.

Some people sound like they absolutely kill themselves.

Cant speak for kegs, but just rinse bottles with very hot water after use stand on bottle tree and then spray with your sanitisor of choice an hour b4 bottling. - All beers have great head + no ill tastes.

Fermentor and bits is just as easy rinse all the gunk off it, put two teaspoons of homebrand nappi treatment in and then fill up with enough hot water to melt the powder, throw ur bits in, then leave for an hour rinse with high pressure cold water and spray with your sanitisor an hour b4 brewing. - Takes about 5 mins cleaning time and after 50 odd brews never had a infection!

Some of the cleaning methods I hear on here are mind boggling.

Last time I cleaned out the fermenter with bleach, early one sunday morning, I had a grumpy missus complaining of being woken by bleach smells.
Easily solved... do it on my RDO's.

Gotta love cleaning, sterilising, and sanitising. At least the end product is worth it!

Latest posts

Back