So ive been recruited to provide the kegs for a backyard Oktoberfest..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After trying my Kolsch, my dad rocks up a week later with a box of empty longnecks and asks me to brew some for him. This is coming from someone whose favourite beers are carlsberg, boags premium and VB and has turned his nose up at all my other brews.

Which is confusing as it tasted nothing like those IMO. I reckon it's probably late hop additions that put a lot of people off craft/homebrew beers.

I'm fermenting another batch now, this time with Northern Brewer hops and a different yeast (Wyeast 1007).

I'm all enthusiastic about saison at the moment. The yeast is strong, works well in weather that other yeast wouldn't tolerate, and gives funky flavours that other complement the flavours of any fruits/herbs you care to toss in during secondary ferment.

To give them something to remember you could brew a saison, and when serving up on the day, toss in some diced up fruit or herbs to liven up the drink, as they do in Belgium. Fresh mint is particularly good because it smells so fresh and appealing and reminds folks of mojitos. (Well, reminds me of them anyway).

Brew a saison for the season!

TimT said:
...toss in some diced up fruit or herbs to liven up the drink, as they do in Belgium.
Can I get a source on this? Never heard about this practice before (nothing in the farmhouse ales book for instance).

I'll try and find it for you Tiprya, my brain remembers anecdotes better than it does specific sources!

I may or may not have misremembered this reference, but let's put it this way. I've been doing this with a few of my saisons lately and it tastes beautiful.

Here's one:

Even the staunch Purity Law Germans are not above taking some liberties with fruit, although “fruit beers” as such are verboten. At Munster’s Pinkus Muller brewpub, the dry, crisp altbier (made, like the lambics, with a large portion of wheat) is served with seasonal fruit. The fruit is macerated and then soaked in syrup; the beer is added to the glass and the Pinkus Alt is poured over.

Hefeweizen and Grapefruit smoothies were a popular summer drink when I was last in Germany,so I guess it makes sense.

I'm keeping an eye on this thread as I've been asked to brew beer for a mate's wedding in october.

TimT said:
I'm all enthusiastic about saison at the moment. The yeast is strong, works well in weather that other yeast wouldn't tolerate, and gives funky flavours that other complement the flavours of any fruits/herbs you care to toss in during secondary ferment.

To give them something to remember you could brew a saison, and when serving up on the day, toss in some diced up fruit or herbs to liven up the drink, as they do in Belgium. Fresh mint is particularly good because it smells so fresh and appealing and reminds folks of mojitos. (Well, reminds me of them anyway).

Brew a saison for the season!
While that would make this task a whole lot more enjoyable for myself, i just cant see the people im catering to digging a Saison, i can imagine the yeast's flavour contribution enough to throw them off

I usually use my girlfriend as somewhat of a guinea pig for these sort of things, like most of the people i know, she like the mass produced stuff and is only just (due to my pushy ways) getting in to trying different beer varieties and styles, but even she thought the banana and bubblegum esters in the last saison i made her sample a slap in the face

What one of the previous posters before me said, i think its the hop presence that throws a lot of people as with other uncommon flavours for them
really considering taking my chances with a kolsch since i should be able to keep the ferment at under 15* through winter at least and hopefully have the means to cold condition then anyway

Back