Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couple pictures :

Inside the oven
wfo1.jpg

Outside of oven, old photo as coloured render now done

wfo2.jpg

King Panda said:
http://www.claypave.com.au/pizza-ovens/

These kits are good, easy to build and very efficient. If you want something custom they also have a huge range of refractories so any style is achievable.

Full disclosure, this is my family's company.
Funnily enough that's where I got my bricks from i live like 400 meters away from there factory at dinmore qld

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1454399717.677783.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1454399739.055857.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1454399753.343301.jpg

Here's the inside of my oven although I haven't used it in a few months in winter I use it just about every weekend
I think the all in cost of mine including the base and firewool blanket was under $600

Just in case anyone is looking for kiln/oven bricks there is a brickworks up here that can make kiln bricks and there pretty cheap. Plenty of freight guys as well

Ducatiboy stu said:
Just in case anyone is looking for kiln/oven bricks there is a brickworks up here that can make kiln bricks and there pretty cheap. Plenty of freight guys as well
We still have a functioning brickworks???

A kiwi fruit orchid up here has a stack of decent size prunings for firewood ( free ), has anyone used it ? Google was no help, although I did find out it's an ingredient in a naturally based vaginal lubricant...

Hairy camel good to hear your oven is still going strong after 7 years. Would you guys mind if the family business used your pictures?

King Panda said:
Hairy camel good to hear your oven is still going strong after 7 years. Would you guys mind if the family business used your pictures?
No worries dude I actually got my bricks from your families business from memory I think I was the first one to get the bricks from you now it seams everyone's building them

Ooh you can call me Paul

Thinking about offsets. Have used a UDS for ages with all charcoal, and a few hickory lumps for smoke. I love the mostly set and forget aspect. But I need more cooking space.

Reading about offsets, I hear they run on wood only, not charcoal, and consequently require more tending to the fire.
Why? Can't they just run on all charcoal too? If not, why not?
Does a programmable PID fan style setup help at all?

I don't want to be up every 2, 3 or 4hrs through the night for an overnight cook (i.e. big Brisket). I don't want to be chasing wood from random places. I don't want to be storing epic quantities of wood.

Other than the cooking space, why should I look at an Offset?

Jump on harks website and look at gmg pellet grills. I don't have one (want one) but they are automated and have wifi which you can read temps off your phone and not have to tend to whilst you sleep.
They are apparently efficient to run also.

jimmy86 said:
Jump on harks website and look at gmg pellet grills. I don't have one (want one) but they are automated and have wifi which you can read temps off your phone and not have to tend to whilst you sleep.
They are apparently efficient to run also.
I like this answer. I just happen to have a contact who's a wholesaler. Epic Discounts Ahoy!

Would make it almost like your not even bbqing with all that stuff
Like the idea for people who want an awesome BBQ without having to actually do any work to cook it .... Flip a switch set the temp and rack off and check your phone every now and then

Not my idea of fun ..... I like to set some wood on fire and watch it and play with the vents , add more wood .... Burn myself , melt hairs and drink a fair few beers
Just grab the hark tri-fire offset i would recommend ..... Half the price twice the fun
When my cheap offset falls apart ( thinking it maybe this year some time ) I'm getting a tri-fire ...... Unless something else comes out around the same price and the same quality

You can run offsets on charcoal but wood is better

I normally just light a few handfuls of briquettes and use wood for the rest of the cook

Spohaw said:
Would make it almost like your not even bbqing with all that stuff
Like the idea for people who want an awesome BBQ without having to actually do any work to cook it .... Flip a switch set the temp and rack off and check your phone every now and then

Not my idea of fun ..... I like to set some wood on fire and watch it and play with the vents , add more wood .... Burn myself , melt hairs and drink a fair few beers
I did say set and forget, but then again I always check the Maverick constantly and mostly it's at temp no worries.

I don't mind the odd adjustment, and even the odd wake up is ok. I've had that with the UDS. I just don't want to be out of bed every 2 hours to add wood. Is that required?

Spohaw said:
Just grab the hark tri-fire offset i would recommend ..... Half the price twice the fun
When my cheap offset falls apart ( thinking it maybe this year some time ) I'm getting a tri-fire ...... Unless something else comes out around the same price and the same quality
Hark tri-fire is constantly in stock at the wholesaler I know, so that's always going to be cheaper than the GMG by a factor of a million.

Spohaw said:
You can run offsets on charcoal but wood is better

I normally just light a few handfuls of briquettes and use wood for the rest of the cook
Glad to hear, this does make things more appealing to me. I use mallee root charcoal in my UDS now and if I can use it in an offset, that could be the go. With some wood would be OK.

Sorry mate I didn't read all the thread ... I don't cook while I sleep so I wouldn't know

I only do day time bbq's , maximum 8 hour cooks but mainly 5-6 hour cooks ... Dinner / lunch bbq's

Latest posts

Back