Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went and checked out local hardware and they had she oak shavings or bags of pellets. The pellets were a bit expensive so I grabbed the shavings. Will they be alright in the Aldi smoker or should I wait until I can get some bigger chips.

At my local BBQ Galore they sell 9/10kg bags of pellets for about $30. Limited varieties including hickory, peach? and macadamia. 3 of us went together and split a bag of each. Who knows if they are the same quality as the little bags of pellets but the price is right and the smoked food has been great.

Hop Thief said:
I went and checked out local hardware and they had she oak shavings or bags of pellets. The pellets were a bit expensive so I grabbed the shavings. Will they be alright in the Aldi smoker or should I wait until I can get some bigger chips.
I reckon shavings might go pretty quickly, maybe put them in a pouch made of foil with a few holes, then sit that in the smoker tray.

earle said:
I reckon shavings might go pretty quickly, maybe put them in a pouch made of foil with a few holes, then sit that in the smoker tray.
My local hardware wanted $18.50 for 450g of pellets. The joy of living in a country town with only 1 hardware shop. I will stock up next time I go to Melbourne. I have soaked the shavings for an hour and just put them on. Will get some foil pouches ready to top it up.

Cheers

earle said:
At my local BBQ Galore they sell 9/10kg bags of pellets for about $30. Limited varieties including hickory, peach? and macadamia. 3 of us went together and split a bag of each. Who knows if they are the same quality as the little bags of pellets but the price is right and the smoked food has been great.
Those are pellets for the pellet smokers, they are mixed in a 70/30 ratio with oak. The reason being they also provide heat as well. WHile they will work the flavours won't be much different because of the mix being in favour of Oak. Which by the way isnt a bad thing as I smoke with old wine barrels. What you want is the concentrated bags, they normally cost around $15 but your only getting a kilo or less for the price.

Put it on low just after 11.am, the gauge on the door says 75 c and I have smoke. the break in begins.

Seifer said:
Those are pellets for the pellet smokers, they are mixed in a 60/30 ratio with oak. The reason being they also provide heat as well. WHile they will work the flavours won't be much different because of the mix being in favour of Oak. Which by the way isnt a bad thing as I smoke with old wine barrels. What you want is the concentrated bags, they normally cost around $15 but your only getting a kilo or less for the price.
Thanks, I wondered if they were different but didn't know how.

These guys are pretty good for pellets as well.

http://www.smokedandcured.com.au/

According to their website, their pellets are 100% what they say they are with most woods, although some need a small amount of another wood to help bind the pellet.
They're pretty cheap too. I bought a 3kg bag through their Ebay store for $30 delivered. I think their 10 kg bags were only $60 delivered.

Update on the Aldi / Hark smoker.

Consensus on the forums is that, up to now, this smoker doesn't go low enough to do a satisfactory "low and slow" . I haven't been able to double check the dial thermometer so I've been "winging it" for my first couple of smokes.

Yesterday I did a whole duck and a lamb shoulder. Bearing the low and slow thing in mind, I gave the meat a blast on high for an hour then turned it down to lowest for 3 hours. They both looked fine coming out of the smoker.
smoker 4.jpg

smoker 5.jpg

The duck turned out ok but could have done with a bit longer, however the lamb was still bloody inside.

I popped it in for another half hour on high to bring it back up, then an hour back on lowest. It's turned out spot on.

smoker 6.jpg

On the assumption that Hark may have acted on feedback and fixed the "problem", next time I'll have a crack at maybe a couple of extra large chickens done for say five hours or more on low and see how it goes.

Don't get too caught up in the hype of "Low and Slow". I get just as good results, if not better cooking "Hot and Fast" (L&S ~120°C/250°F, H&F ~150°C/300°F)
Benefits are still a great cook, plenty of good smoke contact time and you get the meals done in close to half the time.

Bribie G said:
Update on the Aldi / Hark smoker.

Consensus on the forums is that, up to now, this smoker doesn't go low enough to do a satisfactory "low and slow" . I haven't been able to double check the dial thermometer so I've been "winging it" for my first couple of smokes.

Yesterday I did a whole duck and a lamb shoulder. Bearing the low and slow thing in mind, I gave the meat a blast on high for an hour then turned it down to lowest for 3 hours. They both looked fine coming out of the smoker.
attachicon.gif
smoker 4.jpg

attachicon.gif
smoker 5.jpg

The duck turned out ok but could have done with a bit longer, however the lamb was still bloody inside.

I popped it in for another half hour on high to bring it back up, then an hour back on lowest. It's turned out spot on.

attachicon.gif
smoker 6.jpg

On the assumption that Hark may have acted on feedback and fixed the "problem", next time I'll have a crack at maybe a couple of extra large chickens done for say five hours or more on low and see how it goes.
I can get mine to sit right on 110C if it's in the shade, vents closed and gas turned right down
I know shaunous changed the jet in his to a fine mig welding tip (or maybe it was a main jet from a moto carby) to get the temp down
I wouldn't mind modding mine so I can easily swap in finer jets for low n slow, then a big one for cooking pizzas up hot

Mine sits on about 105 C on it's lowest flame, and yes, having a black metal box sitting in the sun will obviously have a major effect.

At those temps, I'd expect a large chook to take about 4 hours, you want to cook to temperature not time. You want 74 C in the thickest part of the breast, and around 78 in the thigh. But, and it's a big but, you won't get really crispy skin. For that, you want to go around 160-180 C, and probably for 2 hours.

Get yourself an instant read thermometer. The $20 brewing ones are okay, but a Thermopen is awesome. Plus, also does more accurate temp readings on your brew day.

Thermapen sounds the go, I'll invest in one for the forthcoming comps season, up to now I've been using Robin's Kitchen / House type probe thermometers but time to step up I guess :p

I have an I Grill Mini for my temp probe and its the best $50 I've ever spent.

read about it here http://product.weber.com/igrill/igrill-mini/

It also displays a graph timeline so you can see when it will be finished, way in advance.

I'd post a pic but my security setting wont allow on this stupid computer.

Now you've got me going... I can see all sorts of brewing possibilities. I see that Weber also do a pretty standard looking instant read thermometer as well for a nice price, and a couple of remote models as well.

I've got a Maverick ET732 dual probe remote monitor. Does food internal and smoker or oven temp with alarms and timers. The probes aren't waterproof though.

When you are talking low and slow, you should be thinking largish slabs of solid meat in the 100-120C range for 20+ hours.

To prevent the meat from drying out, you will need to ensure that the water pan is topped up with water, so the air is moist.

When doing low and slow a remote temperature probe with alarms is about as important as a fridge when you want to do lagering. Sure it can be done without, but why would you? The Maverick ET732 is a good piece of equipment, but I think there is some more competition out there. Something like a Raspberry Pi or Arduino with WiFi and a few temp probes would make for a more sophisticated system, but it wouldn't be nearly as easy to get going.

Ha. My tip, Buy the best thermo set up money can buy. Now take the probe in your left hand and a pair of scissors in the right. Cut the cable. Once cut, take your now wireless hi tech probe and stick it in the meat. When it goes through like a hot knife thru butter, your meat is done. If not check a half hour later. Rely on a digital temp all you want but probe tender is probe tender. A real pitmaster only needs to use his finger anyway. Save your cash guys. Really.

Latest posts

Back