Smokey Flavour

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjp

Reaction score
Put down a k+k on the weekend after doing just extracts for a while. used a CSA kit,1.5 kg llme,300g ldme,100g dex, 350g crystal malt(milled and steeped at 70c and then allowed to sit and cool for 12hrs in 1.4l) did a 10l boil starting with grain juice + 1l sparge. added llme + dry fermentables and 10g goldings at 40 min, 10g goldings at 10 mins, 10g goldings at flameout. then added csa kit ,stirred and crash cooled. Used CPA recultured yeast(didn,t have ldme when making this,so used 1l water with 70g dex + 50ml golden syrup + 4 stubbie dregs 5 days before pitching). Broke hydro while washing/sterilizing(AGAIN),so dont have an og. did a taste test today to see how its going--- Great goldings flavour, and por bitterness from kit, but suprisingly a very smokey aftertaste-never had this before, but hope it stays thru to conditioning.Was suprised at first, but really like it.Can anyone see what Ive done with this recipe that might explain it(smoke flavour)Have done similar k+ks in the past but there is usually something slightly different in each one so I can work out what different things do. Have never had this smoke flovour before though and wouldn't mind knowing how to reproduce it.Has been in primary for 5 days at 19C(consistant) No unusaul krausen or smell. any Ideas where smoke came from?

Just wanted to add, that Ive never mashed/steeped longer than 80 mins before, so could this be the culprit?-also never used combination of dex and golden syrup to make a recultured yeast before. gotta find where the smoke came from---luv it!!

most likely your boil as its possible that you scorched it.

was actually one of the few boils without any blackness on the bottom-buggered if I know, but i want more.

no idea then ether, i had a golden strong that had a smokey flavour but couldnt figure out how i got it.

Back