Boingk's Best Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boingk

Reaction score
Here we go...I think I just made a beer I would be content to drink until the proverbial cows come home!

This is for all the extract brewers out there - and for K&K'ers who want to have a shot at something more ambitious. Here we go...this requires a 40 minute boil - an 8 litre pot would be ideal.

Ingredients:

Malt Shovel 'Two-Row Lager' 1.7kg can,
800g light dried malt extract,
400g dextrose,
20g Hallertau, 20g Cascade hop pellets.

Put hot water from the tap in a saucepan and stand the 1.7kg kit in it while you do the boil.

Remember to stir the following occaisionally to ensure that it doesnt stick to bottom.

Bring 3L of water to the boil in a large pot, then gradually add the LDME until all is in.
Add 20g Hallertau at the start of the 40 minute boil.
Add 10g Cascade at the 20 minute mark.
Add 5g Cascade at 10 minutes til end, and flameout.
Add the dex and kit at flameout also.
Stand in a cool sink of water for 10 minutes to drop the temp before pitching.
Make to 22.5L: OG 1.042 & FG 1.012

I fermented sub 16'C, nothing fancy, using the Saflager yeast that comes with the Malt Shovel kit. Bottled after 10 days in primary. Primed with 6g white sugar per 750ml bottle.

Result: Very nice crisp pallate with a balanced bittering and hop profile. The citrusy hop flavours intermingled well with each other and complemented the malt and bitterness. The body was just right for making it both a session beer and a good one for a quiet sipper. Head was amazing - a tasting at the two week mark revealed a fairly dense head that seemed to not want to die! It laced the glass until the last drop. It only gets better from there...

Hope you have good results if you try this!

Cheers - boingk.

Back