• We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.

Smokey flavour

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

kook

Reaction score
I'm sitting down to a bottle of my first all-extract (non kit) brew at the moment. It tastes great, except for one thing, its got a smokey flavoured aftertaste thats overpowering the hop boquet :(

Any ideas what could have caused this? I suspect it may have been malt getting burnt in the boil? Hops getting burnt in the boil?

donburke

Reaction score
I'm sitting down to a bottle of my first all-extract (non kit) brew at the moment. It tastes great, except for one thing, its got a smokey flavoured aftertaste thats overpowering the hop boquet :(

Any ideas what could have caused this? I suspect it may have been malt getting burnt in the boil? Hops getting burnt in the boil?

did you use a belgian yeast ? i often get comments of a smokey flavour in any beer i make that uses a belgian yeast

i assume the smokeyness has faded by now, has it ?

Muggus

Case swap whore
Reaction score
did you use a belgian yeast ? i often get comments of a smokey flavour in any beer i make that uses a belgian yeast

i assume the smokeyness has faded by now, has it ?
In 9 years...you'd hope so...

Nick JD

Blah Blah Blah
Reaction score
The smoke might have been from the twin towers falling.

yum beer

Not in the house, you've got a shed..
Reaction score
This is taking 'digging up an old thread' to new levels...

Latest posts