Smelly Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

applecracle

Reaction score
I am curently brewing a coopers cerveza, after 3 days in the fermenter its really starting to stink up my unit (I brew in my spare room). Do you think this could be an Infected brew in the making ? for one of my first brews I made a Spicy ghost that smelled very similar whilst brewing and had a really foul after taste. the fermenter is bubbling away much faster than it usually does so maybe I can just smell it more because it is releasing more gas

any thoughts ?

Cheers
Peter

what temp is it fermenting at, and what does it smell like?

Wraith

lagers give off smells sometimes when fermenting. If it ferments out ok, taste and decide then if its infected.

I am curently brewing a coopers cerveza, after 3 days in the fermenter its really starting to stink up my unit (I brew in my spare room). Do you think this could be an Infected brew in the making ? for one of my first brews I made a Spicy ghost that smelled very similar whilst brewing and had a really foul after taste. the fermenter is bubbling away much faster than it usually does so maybe I can just smell it more because it is releasing more gas

any thoughts ?

Cheers
Peter

As yeasty has stated, if your ferment is working really hard because of the high temp (if this is the case) you will get a bad smell which in most case's is rotten egg gas (H2S) :( I on rare occasions I have that problem so I put a couple pinches of a product called DAP (Diammonium Phosphate) This product is a yeast nutrient and it also helps to control the H2S. Some homebrew shops may carry it. I always have a litttle on hand.

BYB

Thanks for your replies.

It does smell alot like rotten egg gas, the temp is sitting at a constant 22c using the yeast that was supplied with the kit which states temps between 18-32c but with 21-27c being optimum. I might go try find that DAP but the HB shop closes at 5pm so I wont be able to get it til saturday so hopefully it will have righted itself by then

Cheers
Peter :beer:

As yeasty says, Some lager yeasts will produce rotten egg smell (hydrogen sulfide), this is normal and will dissipate with conditioning, the other main cause is bacterial infection, let the beer finish fermenting then taste it before you tip it out. My suggestion...next time chuck the kit yeast and try using a better dried yeast such as a safale and keeping it at 18 or as close as possible, you'll notice the difference in the final beer. Though if it is infected that wont make a difference, thats a sanitation issue, make sure your equipment is sterilised and rinsed well.

Wraith

Back