SMaSH with EKG or Fuggles... Grain suggestions?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyF

Reaction score
Hi all,

Did my first BIAB SMaSHes a few weeks ago, both using Maris Otter for the grain and one using EKG and the other Fuggles. I'm now looking at doing another SMaSH in the next week or so and am looking for suggestions for a grain to use with either the Fuggles or EKG left over from the first lot of brews.

I have about 50g of each left and am doing approx 10L batches (using a 19L BigW pot).

Any suggestions on grain (or better yet a full on recipe) would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Tony

Why smash?
95% maris otter
5% medium crystal
Use a bit of both ekg and fuggles and you should be able to make a great British ale.

NealK said:
Why smash?
95% maris otter
5% medium crystal
Use a bit of both ekg and fuggles and you should be able to make a great British ale.
I guess because I'm new to all-grain brewing (shit I'm new to home brewing flat out hehe) and i want to get a feel for how the various grains and hops taste. :)

It would give you an idea of what crystal malt brings to the table if you repeated one of your smashes with 5% crystal.
I understand where you are coming from with trying to get a taste for different ingredients but there are very few beers that use only one malt. I have always found it helpful after doing a smash beer that I enjoyed to re-brew it with a touch of something else and compare the two side by side.

NealK said:
It would give you an idea of what crystal malt brings to the table if you repeated one of your smashes with 5% crystal.
I understand where you are coming from with trying to get a taste for different ingredients but there are very few beers that use only one malt. I have always found it helpful after doing a smash beer that I enjoyed to re-brew it with a touch of something else and compare the two side by side.
Hmm.. too true.

OK, you've convinced me! Maybe I'll redo BOTH of the smashes with that 5% crystal in there!

Thanks NealK!

Brew 2 identical batches and then use 1 hop in 1 batch, the second in the other. I think it is the best way to determine which you like best and also educates the palate to identify both hops clearly. The added benefit is 2 lots of beer!

AJS2154 said:
Brew 2 identical batches and then use 1 hop in 1 batch, the second in the other. I think it is the best way to determine which you like best and also educates the palate to identify both hops clearly. The added benefit is 2 lots of beer!
That's pretty much what I did with my first 2 BIABs. Both Maris Otter SMaSHes ... even used the same yeast... only thing changed up was the hops. The mash was slightly different and the one with the Fuggles had what seemed to be "less than ideal" yeast (pack seemed to have a leak in it) Other than that and being 4 days apart they were identical.

NealK said:
Why smash?
95% maris otter
5% medium crystal
And West Yorkshire ale yeast (Wyeast)...mmm Mother's milk

NealK said:
...there are very few beers that use only one malt. I have always found it helpful after doing a smash beer that I enjoyed to re-brew it with a touch of something else and compare the two side by side.
Disagree with the 1st bit as there's many beers brewed with a single malt, and they're some of the best beers around. But you're spot on on the second bit.

There is a single hop EKG IPA in the DIY Dog free recipe book, #109. Four different grains though...

Made a tasty SMaSH beer last year with Marris Otter and Tettnang for hops. MoTet. I quite like using English malts & German hops together.

dblunn said:
And West Yorkshire ale yeast (Wyeast)...mmm Mother's milk
Heard this was supposed to be the ducks nuts for an ESB. Might possibly switch from the Danstar.
How about Wyeast 1968 - London ESB Ale (heard this one mentioned a fair bit as well)?

pajs said:
Made a tasty SMaSH beer last year with Marris Otter and Tettnang for hops. MoTet. I quite like using English malts & German hops together.
Also heard Galaxy and MO is quite nice as well. Will give one of these a go once I've used up my Fuggles and EKG.

mstrelan said:
There is a single hop EKG IPA in the DIY Dog free recipe book, #109. Four different grains though...
Ah.. forgot I had this recipe book, thanks for reminding me!
So damned much to brew ... so little time

Latest posts

Back