Smart Wiring For House/brewhouse

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know if it is an offence to use another's wireless network without the operators permission? Hope not as we've had quite a few admissions here.
Code:
Queensland Criminal Code:

408E Computer hacking and misuse

(1) A person who uses a restricted computer without consent of the computer's controller commits an offence.

Maximum Penalty - 2 years imprisonment.

restricted computer means a computer for which-

(a) a device, code or a particular sequence of electronic impulses is necessary in order to gain access to or to use the computer; and

(b) the controller-

(i) withholds or takes steps to withhold access to the device, or the knowledge of the code or of the sequence or of the way of producing the code or sequence, from other persons; or

(ii) restricts access or takes steps to restrict access to the device or knowledge of the code or of the sequence, or to the way of producing the sequence, to a person or a class of person authorised by the controller.

According to that section, an unsecured network is fair game. That's not to say there isn't other legislation that prohibits it.

It's not, there's a bit more to it than that, but head down to Jaycar and have a chat to Warren, or his 2IC (can't remember his name). They'll be more expensive than a cabling wholesaler, but they'll have all the parts you need and steer you in the right direction RE how to do it.

Or head down to Hardly Normal, by a wireless router and plug it in ... and save yourself some work. Unless of course you like the crawling, digging etc ...

Or head down to Hardly Normal, by a wireless router and plug it in ... and save yourself some work. Unless of course you like the crawling, digging etc ...
precisely, pbrosnan. Wireless is for the consumers who don't have the nous to put cables in.

precisely, pbrosnan. Wireless is for the consumers who don't have the nous to put cables in.

...or for renters. We can't install in-the-wall cabling at our place, so it's either run cables around the skirting boards (wife loves that) or wireless. I use both (I transfer multi-gigabyte files between PCs regularly and don't have the patience!), but it should be said - my wireless connection has never suffered dropouts, hacks, poor performance (below 54kbps anyway) or instability. It's a $100 Dynalink RTA1025W and my ADSL syncs at 19Mbit. My point is, don't write off wireless - like I said earlier, it's easier to upgrade in the future and no need for behind-the-walls troubleshooting or new cable runs when one generation of cabling expires... $2,000 for wires or $100 for wireless... certainly an option.

not sure how old this thread is but I thought i would throw my 2c in ;)

wireless is OK, but cables still win the day IMO. Add a wireless router to your cabled setup for laptops, wii's, or other randomness, but keep the cabled setup for the devices they are not on the move. I share a house with a few friends (rented), we started off with wireless, but (it *could* have been our router at the time, billion 7300G) with 4~6 pc's on it, it was so god damn unreliable and annoying and slow we ended up ditching it and just blue tacking wires around the place!

now, with only 1-2 laptops on the access point, it's fine and dandy... so imo, OK for a temp solution, or if you only have a couple of puters in the place, but go with the cables in addition if you can.

...or for renters.
Them too, or for anyone else who can't install cables for whatever reason, or for situations where you want both, (like I do) for a laptop and PDA on top of my wired network. If you can install them, though, wired beats wireless hands down. I wouldn't be too concerned about it becoming obsolete either - there's still a long way to go in saturating the capability of UTP cabling, and since it's cheap and already heavily invested in, R&D will continue with the contsraints of UTP in mind.

Anybody tried using these?
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=533
Aslong as the shed is using the same phase(if you house is only single phase then your right) it sends the data along live power lines.

I haven't used the DLink ones, but have used the Netgear ones and they work great. Just as long as you are on the same phase as you state.
I've also used a Wireless Extender (Belkin) and that works well too.

Currently I have a mix of the Netgear Ethernet over Power and fixed ethernet connections with 2 wireless base stations, and an Airtunes box configured here at home that means you can access the Interweb from anywhere and stream to the home theatre room from anywhere (including the shed).

Doc

Them too, or for anyone else who can't install cables for whatever reason, or for situations where you want both, (like I do) for a laptop and PDA on top of my wired network. If you can install them, though, wired beats wireless hands down. I wouldn't be too concerned about it becoming obsolete either - there's still a long way to go in saturating the capability of UTP cabling, and since it's cheap and already heavily invested in, R&D will continue with the contsraints of UTP in mind.

Gracious of you to concede that it isn't only the ignorant or the technically incompetent who need to turn to "nasty" wireless. Seems to me that wireless is a widely adopted technology with a great deal of industry support. So by that measure it must be a very good solution for many users in a wide variety of situations. This may extend to include those of us who could install cables but chose not to as it is redundant and thus a waste of time. Whatever your particular situation may be I find it hard to believe that you have sufficient evidence to support the claim that "wired beats wireless hands down", in fact I don't really know what that would mean. Would wired win at cards, would wired be better at scrabble? Perhaps wired is a better speller.
The point is, horses for courses and wild generalisations for the garbage bin.

Well...when the IT crowd STOP putting so many overheads on THEIR packets...maybe we could all live with 9600Bps...

AHhh...the days of Unisys Mux's with 9600Bps links and VT100 emulation.... :beerbang:

And yes..there is a lot of life left in copper......believe it or not... :D

Well...when the IT crowd STOP putting so many overheads on THEIR packets...maybe we could all live with 9600Bps...

AHhh...the days of Unisys Mux's with 9600Bps links and VT100 emulation.... :beerbang:

Bring back the Vax Vms. Nothing like a mainframe to take up all the available space in the coolroom! :p

Bring back the Vax Vms. Nothing like a mainframe to take up all the available space in the coolroom! :p

I remember working in "the mainframe " floor on the railways...we had to wear whit coats, walk on sticky pads thru the doors...climate controlled....and HEAPS of tapes.....huge big racks of tape's

And that was in the early 90's...

Unisys, Tandberg, HP......long before C$SCO and Uncle Bill

I gotta say I love this era of SANs and stuff.

Just the other month I was like "Oi datacentre, I need some SAN space" - "yeah how much" - "Can I have a terrabyte?" - "Will one be enough?"

Getting them to back up 500GB composed of 4.1m small pdfs and tifs in a timely fashion is, as they say, another story. (PS, don't even think to try it over a wireless network :))

I gotta say I love this era of SANs and stuff.

Just the other month I was like "Oi datacentre, I need some SAN space" - "yeah how much" - "Can I have a terrabyte?" - "Will one be enough?"

Getting them to back up 500GB composed of 4.1m small pdfs and tifs in a timely fashion is, as they say, another story. (PS, don't even think to try it over a wireless network :))

Did you send the response in ASCII format...???...or Binary.... :D

Back