Smart Wiring For House/brewhouse

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen a Suss look character sitting out the front with a lappy, looked a bit like you. <_<
I am running wireless now but am having connection problems with the rest of the house and in the shed forget it.All rooms are timber walls and Iron roofed.If I could get the thing to work I would stay wireless.I have a Belkin wireless router adsl modem combo. Can I just add a turbo charger or a F'n big Ariel ?
GB

Haha just came to mind about the security thing....deffinatley use a password....I have no idea how many times I have been able to use the internet for free in random locations due to the lack of passwords. Lucky I'm pretty honest and not up for hacking into their personal info because they could be in for a rude shock if I was.

Pok

I drive around quite a bit for my job and quite often have the lapdog up and running on the passengers seat of the car, it really is amazing how many open wireless networks there are around the burbs, scary really :ph34r: I keep hassling my bosses to get a mobile net connection but they are too tight to provide it. I guess all I really need to do is drive another block or so and find another open access point, free internet sharing for all I say. Just lucky I am not into torrents and all that bandwith hogging stuff. I can imagine conversation now, uninformed computer user at home notices their internet has slowed to a crawl so calls their ISP to complain, the ISP say you have been downloading bla bla bla and have now been shaped. End user at home says no I have not I've only been sending emails, the car parked outside their house drives quietly away, next victim chuckles the driver (insert evil laugh here)

Jezzus....$2K....

fly me over for a weekend, buy the bits,( I will get trade price for you ) pay me some cash, and you will money let over...

2 days and some beer and it will be done..

I should know, I do enough of it....18yrs experience

NOW...( grabs flame suite )...stick with CAT5...cat 6 is a wank...To be honest, are you EVER going to need more than 100Mb locally, considering that you would be lucky to get 1-2Mb from the street, if you had the $$$

We have set up full VoIP telephones systems, running 50-100 extensions + Data in Vlan config and it has never been an issue...

Stick with the Cat5...better than wireless and .....

Dont let the IT crowd cloud your judgement....

Removes flame suits, and waits......

I drive around quite a bit for my job and quite often have the lapdog up and running on the passengers seat of the car, it really is amazing how many open wireless networks there are around the burbs, scary really :ph34r: I keep hassling my bosses to get a mobile net connection but they are too tight to provide it. I guess all I really need to do is drive another block or so and find another open access point, free internet sharing for all I say. Just lucky I am not into torrents and all that bandwith hogging stuff. I can imagine conversation now, uninformed computer user at home notices their internet has slowed to a crawl so calls their ISP to complain, the ISP say you have been downloading bla bla bla and have now been shaped. End user at home says no I have not I've only been sending emails, the car parked outside their house drives quietly away, next victim chuckles the driver (insert evil laugh here)
WEP and a password is not as secure as WPA and a password. No encryption and no password is what most of those who use other's connections can "crack". Real hackers can't be bothered driving around the suburbs looking for secure connections to crack, they are too lazy to get off their arses. Security of home wireless networks is an issue but not one that shoulod prevent you from taking advantage of it.

Plus you always have MAC address filtering like someone else suggested.

Jezzus....$2K....

fly me over for a weekend, buy the bits,( I will get trade price for you ) pay me some cash, and you will money let over...

2 days and some beer and it will be done..

I should know, I do enough of it....18yrs experience

NOW...( grabs flame suite )...stick with CAT5...cat 6 is a wank...To be honest, are you EVER going to need more than 100Mb locally, considering that you would be lucky to get 1-2Mb from the street, if you had the $$$

We have set up full VoIP telephones systems, running 50-100 extensions + Data in Vlan config and it has never been an issue...

+1 couldn't agree more

Rook

Wireless is nasty, it's what you use when it's impossible to run copper. All concerns raised about black spots, dropping data rates, regular dropouts and having to hold the laptop at a 45 angle while you stand on one leg and move it in small circles are very real, and get worse as speeds go up. Moreover, latency with wireless is more of a problem with data rates - you might be able to transfer a file reasonably quickly at a theoretical 54Mbit, but it takes an extremely long time to request the file. If you're making lots of small requests with lots of small responses - for example, webbrowsing, gaming, streaming media, etc - your apparent speed goes to hell. Then there's the security and configuration problems. Forget it, run wire while you've got the chance.

For the data and TV, you can DIY - get a 100m box of cat6 and 100m of Belden RG6, some wall plates, one of the patch panels you've been offered gratis, a punchdown tool, an F-type crimping tool and crimps, a bag of cable clamps and a TV splitter amplifier with as many ports as you've got rooms. Your nearest google search will answer every question you could possibly have on how to hook them up. And no, the data isn't being connected to the phone network, because the router is isolated.

The phone and power are legislated, which means you're not legally allowed to do them yourself. For power, you've got to get the sparky, but $2k is ridiculous. For phone, it isn't any more difficult or dangerous than wiring the data ports, it even uses the same outlets, and, unless the wiring is coupled to the mains and blows up an exchange, no one is ever going to care or check who your phone wiring was done by. Not that I'm suggesting you do anything naughty, of course.

Yet another option is that you could use a sparky for the sparking stuff, and a data cabler for the phone/data cabling. They're only as qualified as I earlier suggested you become, and hence should charge significantly less. You might need to show them what they're doing wrong a few times, but at least it will all be legal.

EDIT: yep, I agree with stu, except the bit about going cat5 instead of cat6. While most of the time cat5 is fine for most applications, you simply can't do Gigabit over long runs with it. Even then I'd agree, but the difference in price between cat5 and cat6 is so small that there's really no reason not to get the better cable.

:)

Anyone remember the "who the hell would need more than 640k of RAM" MS-DOS versions of yore? :p

I agree - I can't see a use for CAT6 either, but believe me that sooner or later we'll all need it. For what, I have no idea. Maybe for sipping virtual beers. :lol: I guess it all depends on how long you intend to keep the house.

This may be the thread you were looking for: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=19891

I have wired and wireless here. At present I only have a single cable run from the back of the TV, back to the wiring closet in the spare room. It carries data from the MythTV box and the PS3 back to the routers. The wireless is also based in the wiring closet and runs 802.11g with WPA and a private VPN over the top. Everything else is firewalled, even if they have the WPA key. It's good, but can't support 2 simultaneous Standard Definition programs, or a single HD program. When I eventually put in another MythTV frontend, it will be a wired run too. The wired is only 100MB, but I'm thinking of adding 1000MB when the other frontend is online.

Speaking of wireless security, there was a guy called Dave in my area for a while with a completely insecure network. It helped me a great deal when I was testing my network :ph34r: .

T
Speaking of wireless security, there was a guy called Dave in my area for a while with a completely insecure network. It helped me a great deal when I was testing my network :ph34r: .

Yep, the 'Phillips' family were very generous with their provision of wireless internet access to a friend of mine too :ph34r:

:p

Way too many IT geeks on this forum...

Wireless is nasty, it's what you use when it's impossible to run copper. All concerns raised about black spots, dropping data rates, regular dropouts and having to hold the laptop at a 45 angle while you stand on one leg and move it in small circles are very real, and get worse as speeds go up. Moreover, latency with wireless is more of a problem with data rates - you might be able to transfer a file reasonably quickly at a theoretical 54Mbit, but it takes an extremely long time to request the file. If you're making lots of small requests with lots of small responses - for example, webbrowsing, gaming, streaming media, etc - your apparent speed goes to hell. Then there's the security and configuration problems. Forget it, run wire while you've got the chance.
Hmmmm .. must have been a while since you used wireless. Most of the above is either noexistent or not noticable. I mean go ahead and run cable all over the place to devices that don't need anything like the 100Mb that cable is theorectically capable of delivering. In my case that would have been an completely unnecessary PITA, crawling around in the ceiling, cutting holes in walls then trying to drop cable. Like I said I've numerous wireless network devices and is there is a problem it's usually with the device not the network. I've got 2 Netgear MP101 wireless audio player that are flaky yet the Soundbridge is fine. The Zensonic z400 is likewise unreliable but the z500s are very reliable.

It also depends on how well the protocol you're running over wireless copes with interruptions. My wireless is very good, and occasionally I get a dropout. The VPN software I run doesn't cope with it at all, but once I repair the VPN, most things just keep going. SSH is great for this. The vpn could be out for hours and SSH will just keep going as if nothing has happened when it comes back up again. Other protocols may not be so forgiving.

Hmmmm .. must have been a while since you used wireless. Most of the above is either noexistent or not noticable. I mean go ahead and run cable all over the place to devices that don't need anything like the 100Mb that cable is theorectically capable of delivering. In my case that would have been an completely unnecessary PITA, crawling around in the ceiling, cutting holes in walls then trying to drop cable. Like I said I've numerous wireless network devices and is there is a problem it's usually with the device not the network. I've got 2 Netgear MP101 wireless audio player that are flaky yet the Soundbridge is fine. The Zensonic z400 is likewise unreliable but the z500s are very reliable.
Using .11g right now, with, at times, all of the listed issues. I'm in a unit building, so even though it's only 10m or so, it's got to bounce around or through a few concrete and rebar walls. There are situations where wireless doesn't exhibit all of these problems, but I haven't yet come across a situation where it doesn't exhibit some of them. They're just not always noticeable to the user, or significant enough to affect the particular application.

I remember staying in Brisvegas last year, and picking up 10 or so Unsecured wirless networks...

Boy, did I download heaps of......lets just say "Instructional Videos" :ph34r: . Whent down a treat the ollowing day in the training session. USB sticks came from everywhere....

I remember staying in Brisvegas last year, and picking up 10 or so Unsecured wirless networks...

Boy, did I download heaps of......lets just say "Instructional Videos" :ph34r: . Whent down a treat the ollowing day in the training session. USB sticks came from everywhere....
So the lesson is, secure you network in some way or another as it appears that only way 99.9% of the population will get access is if there is NO security. The other 0.1% of the population who could get the tools to crack wireless security regard it as a party trick. Does anyone know if it is an offence to use another's wireless network without the operators permission? Hope not as we've had quite a few admissions here.

Wireless is nasty, it's what you use when it's impossible to run copper. All concerns raised about black spots, dropping data rates, regular dropouts and having to hold the laptop at a 45 angle while you stand on one leg and move it in small circles are very real, and get worse as speeds go up.
So you have been watching me then ? :unsure: Mate the rest of your info reads like one stop training manual.Good one I will keep .
GB

:)

Anyone remember the "who the hell would need more than 640k of RAM" MS-DOS versions of yore? :p

I agree - I can't see a use for CAT6 either, but believe me that sooner or later we'll all need it. For what, I have no idea. Maybe for sipping virtual beers. :lol: I guess it all depends on how long you intend to keep the house.

Cat5e will do for gigabit. Sure we don't need it now, but with Fibre to the Node, a bit of internal bandwidth will be healthy. Hell, even my old Socket A based motherboard came with TWO Giga ethernet ports built right in there. Does 5e cost any more than old Cat5? Or did you guys mean 5e?

I think about doing things like streaming bluray and HDTV around the house. Won't be long and it'll be quite commonplace. Would you be happy with 100mbps then? Bugger what comes in from the street, there is always demand for bandwidth internally too.

EDIT: but hell, it's just a shed link.

Does 5e cost any more than old Cat5? Or did you guys mean 5e?

Cat5 is getting a little hard to come by at the moment, so it's hard to compare 5 with 5e (enhanced), but cat6 costs about 1.5x as much as cat5e.

But can't you imagine anyone wanting to watch HD shows on their shed TV whilst simultaneously surfing AHB? :icon_cheers:

So you have been watching me then ? :unsure: Mate the rest of your info reads like one stop training manual.Good one I will keep .
GB
It's not, there's a bit more to it than that, but head down to Jaycar and have a chat to Warren, or his 2IC (can't remember his name). They'll be more expensive than a cabling wholesaler, but they'll have all the parts you need and steer you in the right direction RE how to do it.

Cat5e will do for gigabit. Sure we don't need it now, but with Fibre to the Node, a bit of internal bandwidth will be healthy. Hell, even my old Socket A based motherboard came with TWO Giga ethernet ports built right in there. Does 5e cost any more than old Cat5? Or did you guys mean 5e?

I think about doing things like streaming bluray and HDTV around the house. Won't be long and it'll be quite commonplace. Would you be happy with 100mbps then? Bugger what comes in from the street, there is always demand for bandwidth internally too.

We're trialing IPTV High definition at work at the moment and it only uses 4Megs and also using Cat 5

Rook

Latest posts

Back