Smaller Cider Batches In Larger Fermenter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gop

Reaction score
I've got 2 x 20 litre beer fermenters, they are plastic with screw off tops. I was thinking of making some cider, but didn't want to make 20l since I'm pretty new to this and didn't want to throw a lot of $ into vinegar. Will say, 10l of cider brew ok in a 20l tank, or am I better off investing in a few 5l glass carboys?

Yep, it will be fine fermenting in a larger vessel. Pretty hard to stuff up cider- juice + yeast.

I've got 2 x 20 litre beer fermenters, they are plastic with screw off tops. I was thinking of making some cider, but didn't want to make 20l since I'm pretty new to this and didn't want to throw a lot of $ into vinegar. Will say, 10l of cider brew ok in a 20l tank, or am I better off investing in a few 5l glass carboys?

I have just bottled 12L from a 25L fermenter and went very well, the advantage of the fermenter is the tap down the bottom will make it easier to bottle than the 5L carboy.

Personally I would invest in the 2x5L jugs, It's always better to keep air away from your cider. You can rack to a fermenter with a tap for bottling, especially if you bulk prime for bottle conditioning. I prefer to keep the headspace as small as possible, a large headspace is much more risky.

Latest posts

Back