Small batch - How to ....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually hang about, that's a hell of a slow cooker - thinking 10lt+?

I'd get a 5lt bucket with a lid and then you'd have something to spew into if you're brew was not to your taste.

Thanks gents for all of the input.
Very much appreciated.
Will investigate the Big Green Shed in the next few days and pick up one of these goodies.

Will then have a backup as Vini suggests ... :lol:

I have the same intention, I grabbed a couple of 5L maxipails+lids from the big green shed. Plus the taps with backing nuts, rubber washers for each side from the local home brew shop.
I used a timber spade drill bit to drill the tap hole and also a smaller bit for the airlock. Will be brewing with them this weekend hopefully

1433500844038.jpg

chubbytaxman said:
Brewers ...

I have a couple of ... different ... brews I am looking at having a crack at.
Before I go all out, I thought I would try Small Scale Brewing to see if I actually like the brew.

What I am after is some tips on where to get the smaller equipment ... Like a fermenter (say about a 5 or 10 litre capacity) ... or easier just to scale down and use standard 20 litre equipment ???

Thanks for your input

Cheers

chubby
I've posted on head space and so have others. Basically there is no problem with a fermenter that is half full unless, possibly, you leave the brew in primary for a long time and your fermenter lets in oxygen.

Slow cooker mini mash tun that is an awesome idea. Then again a BIAB on a gas stove would be better.
I've wondered if anyone has mashed in like a sealed pressure cooker type vessel.
What weird science could happen then?
I'd think what happens in large mass production. The bigger batch the better with many things I think its the extra pressure that makes the chemistry work better, maybe. Temp control would be critical so you might need one of those fandangled techno electrical ones.

Back