Slug Slime Anyone?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

braufrau

Autumn Leaf Brewery
Reaction score
We have this problem with slugs in our house. Don't ask me how we come to have slugs in the house because I don't know where they hide at night. Perhaps I should go spot lighting one night.
Anyway ...
pulled the fermenter out of the box where the beer had been fermenting for the last fortnight and there is a sparkly trail all around the lid.

:huh: :rolleyes:
gallery_3596_317_11448.jpg

Slugs love a beer, if you set some traps - saucer of beer, you will probably catch quite a few.

cheers

grant

slugs can live in your drain hole in the shower, they come out at night, the good side of it is they eat mold in the shower recess.

Oh so slugs are my friends???
Well I'd rather them in the house than the garden.
And I'd rather slugs than millipedes!
Silver lining and all that. :)

slugs can live in your drain hole in the shower, they come out at night, the good side of it is they eat mold in the shower recess.

They also eat the 'sleep' from your eyes when you are snoozing.

Think about that when you go to bed tonight.

Screw salt. Got a flamethrower? :blink:

and cockroaches clean your teeth :blink:

dont salt the slugs - it looks a terrible way to die. If you want to kill them get them pissed before drowning in a 1/4 full can of beer

Cheers
Steve

I feed them to my chooks whenever I catch them in the garden. Nothing like recycling.

but the real question is do you eat the chooks when you catch them in the garden after they've eaten the slugs which probably ate millipeads on the way in..! :eek: :lol:

I feed them to my chooks whenever I catch them in the garden. Nothing like recycling.

My chooks wont eat slugs, fussy bastards. Give them snails and they'll fight over them, but not slugs :(

Well, reading this thread will probably give my nightmares now

*note to self, best have an extra pint tonight*

Don't get rid of them! Apparently you can swallow them live and whole to treat stomach ulcers, as well as using the slime to treat several skin complaints.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlere...i?artid=2275234
Garden slug
Therapies involving the slug Arion hortensis, locally known as u' marruculē or lummachē senza guscio (snail without a shell), has been briefly mentioned in previous work by our group [11]. The most popular use of this gastropod is to treat gastritis or stomach ulcer by swallowing it whole and alive. A clear mucous produced by the slug is rubbed onto the skin to treat dermatitis, inflammations, calluses, and acne (Figure 4). The mucous is thought to promote wound healing. In addition, a special ritual is incorporated in the treatment of wart. Mucous from a live slug is first rubbed onto the wart, and then the slug is hung out in the sunshine to dry out and die. It is believed that once the slug has dried up, the wart should as well. A similar remedy for wart involving mucous from an unidentified snail is mentioned in Guarrera's work in Latium, Central Italy [30]. This may, however, be a reference to the same species of garden slug.

But thankfully they don't leave a slime trail... just empty bottles and kegs. :D

Cheers - Fermented.

I set a trap for them under my bathroom
(Under my house)
No slugs came to the party.
Look like I have to clean the mould myself.

Back