Slow Start To Fermentation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sxs19

Reaction score
Hey guys

I put a dark ale down yesterday with the following

1 can coopers dark ale
1kg light dried malt
1 11.5g packet of safale US05 yeast expire date 01 2010

Dissolved dried malt with 4L hot water (man that stuff likes to clump up)
Added the can of coopers goo
Mixed both very well to aerate
Topped to 22l
Sprinkled yeast over the top
Sealed with glad wrap
Put into ferment fridge with 2L frozen pet bottle

Temp when placed into fridge was about 22c

Temp dropped down to 15 or 16 degrees over night.

I checked it this morning before i went to work and there didn't seem to be much activity. Checked again at 1730 when i got home and still didn't really seem to much happening. I usually do toucan brews and with both yeasts (coopers standard yeast) totaling 14g of yeast and im used to seeing lots of foam within the first 24hs.

Question time

Is this perceived lack of fermentation activity usual when using the safale yeasts

My yeast was not stored is ideal conditions ie. the kit that i grabbed it out of is at least 1 year old, and was stored in a kitchen draw. Could my yeast be dead/stale?

How long should i leave my brew before i pitch another pack (yes i know im impatient)

As usual thanks for any replies

Hey guys

I put a dark ale down yesterday with the following

1 can coopers dark ale
1kg light dried malt
1 11.5g packet of safale US05 yeast expire date 01 2010

Dissolved dried malt with 4L hot water (man that stuff likes to clump up)
Added the can of coopers goo
Mixed both very well to aerate
Topped to 22l
Sprinkled yeast over the top
Sealed with glad wrap
Put into ferment fridge with 2L frozen pet bottle

Temp when placed into fridge was about 22c

Temp dropped down to 15 or 16 degrees over night.

I checked it this morning before i went to work and there didn't seem to be much activity. Checked again at 1730 when i got home and still didn't really seem to much happening. I usually do toucan brews and with both yeasts (coopers standard yeast) totaling 14g of yeast and im used to seeing lots of foam within the first 24hs.

Question time

Is this perceived lack of fermentation activity usual when using the safale yeasts

My yeast was not stored is ideal conditions ie. the kit that i grabbed it out of is at least 1 year old, and was stored in a kitchen draw. Could my yeast be dead/stale?

How long should i leave my brew before i pitch another pack (yes i know im impatient)

As usual thanks for any replies

SXS, no need to aerate using dried yeast. Rehydrate the yeast in 10 times it's own weight of cooled boiled water (plenty of info on AHB re why and how to do this). At 15 - 16 degrees things will be a little slow using S-05. All should be ok, different yeast different fermentation.

Cheers,

Screwy

Latest posts

Back