Slow Ferment?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hosko11

Reaction score
Hi All,
I put a brew on last Friday night: 1x Coopers APA, 1.2kg DLME, 250g Dextrose, 250g Maltodextrin plus hops, made to 22l and aerated with spoon until a good foam was sitting on top. The OG was 1.051 and the expected FG is 1.013. I pitched US-05 into 22C and have maintained the temp at 19C +/- 1C with the fridgemate and heat pad.

On Monday the SG was 1.041 and airlock action was non-existent (it was quite active on the Sunday), so I swirled and wrapped some insulation around the fermenter to try and minimise the temperature cycling and noted airlock action about 8 hours later.

This morning the SG is 1.033 after 5.5 days and still no airlock action.

Given the temp etc is this an overly slow ferment for US-05? From what I'd read I was expecting a 5-7 day ferment, but at the current rate it could well be 10+ days. Should I re-pitch or just chill out and let it be?

Cheers,
Hosko

Shake/swirl the hell out of the fermenter (try not to get it on lid) and bring the heat up. That will get things going if it is ever going to.

24hrs after that if you have no joy I would re-pitch with my fingers crossed ;)

It might have been a bung yeast?

I reckon at 19deg the US-05 should be doing quite well, I ferment at that temp all the time and it usually takes about two weeks before it has completely stopped, sometimes a little less. You might have a slight air leek in the fermenter, if the SG is getting lower, then it is fermenting :)

+1 SG getting lower then OK. I had 1 brew a little while back that I could not recall the air lock bubbleing but SG lowerd to around 1010 and tasted fine when kegged. Just be patient!!

Good luck! hope it turns out ok with Shake Heat Repeat, maybe invest in 2nd fermentor if in hurry and stagger your batches!!

I have 4 fermenters on the go :eek:

The reply was just me being cheeky suggesting that my recommendation of shaking up the fermenter was going to be quicker for Ppp who was the original poster who had the problem...

PS: and 2 racking cubes and a priming bucket - lots of plastic containers at my house!

I have 4 fermenters on the go :eek:

The reply was just me being cheeky suggesting that my recommendation of shaking up the fermenter was going to be quicker for Ppp who was the original poster who had the problem...

PS: and 2 racking cubes and a priming bucket - lots of plastic containers at my house!

hence why i said Good Luck - Just beeing cheeky as well. Maybe turn the heat up to 28deg!!! :D

hence why i said Good Luck - Just beeing cheeky as well. Maybe turn the heat up to 28deg!!! :D

Why you young whipper snapper! :p Back in the old days it was a kilo of homebrand sugar, the yeast that came with the tin and a MINIMUM of 28 degrees!

just on the topic what are some peoples longest fermentaions. Ive got one that has been going for 2 1/2 wks now.

just on the topic what are some peoples longest fermentaions. Ive got one that has been going for 2 1/2 wks now.

What is it? You're seeing the SG is still dropping? Or you have bubbles in the airlock? 2 weeks is the minimum I leave a brew for anyhow...

If fermenting at that high a temp you will get more of a fruity ester taste in your brew :beerbang:

SG is still moving - air lock is very very slow now.
Then that bad boy is still "in play", so let it ride. SG+Airlock= still fermenting.

Bit of heat and a shake - not too much. Until SG is stable just let it sit...

If fermenting at that high a temp you will get more of a fruity ester taste in your brew :beerbang:

For a quick brew I found the coopers larger kit seemed to be consistant and very quick fermenting + did not have the naties in its taste at the end. From my early experience following the instructions on the kit at 28 deg i had 2 outcomes.

1/ Possible to turn a batch around in 3-4 days
2/ Could have a nasty sour type taste

Just for the record I average 10-14days a brew at 18deg now!

I ve got a Morgans Golden Sheaf + amerillo. Used Brewcellar wheat yeast ( K-97?) made on the 2/5/08.
Started 1049 now 1017 going to botle the #%^*@! this weekend. Whats that 20 odd days? at 18-20degs and still not there. Thats annoying. Thats also a good reason to have two fermenters on the go. :icon_cheers:

Daz

I ve got a Morgans Golden Sheaf + amerillo. Used Brewcellar wheat yeast ( K-97?) made on the 2/5/08.
Started 1049 now 1017 going to botle the #%^*@! this weekend. Whats that 20 odd days? at 18-20degs and still not there. Thats annoying. Thats also a good reason to have two fermenters on the go. :icon_cheers:

Daz

At least you got the K-97 to even start, man i've had trouble with that sucker of a yeast, had to pitch another two to even get a reaction, bloody thing took four days to kick off :ph34r: Cheeky F**ker that K-97

At least you got the K-97 to even start, man i've had trouble with that sucker of a yeast, had to pitch another two to even get a reaction, bloody thing took four days to kick off :ph34r: Cheeky F**ker that K-97

Hey Homebrewer79.
That makes me feel a little better. If it turns out crap I may have an excuse. I was told the brewcellar yeasts are good quality and reliable. I did re-hydrate prior to pitch. Next one Ill use a different yeast for sure. :icon_cheers:

Daz

Damn, 2 weeks before the fermenters free .... sounds like a trip to the lhbs for another one is in order ....

Anyway, thanks all for the comments. Sounds to me some more paitence and maybe an occasional rock to get the yeasties in suspension is the go.

Regarding fermentation lengths, I've only done one previous brew being the coopers lager that came with the micro brewery. I used the supplied coopers yeast, but re-hydrated it the John Palmer way before pitching. It took 6 days @ 18C including 3 days of a constant SG at the end. I thought that was pretty damn impressive.

Cheers,
Hosko

Just an update to say the SG is still dropping thankfully. Down to 1.022 after 9.5 days. 9 more points to go.

Latest posts

Back