Slow / Balanced Carbonation Method

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Georgedgerton

Reaction score
I have been thinking about carbing my next keg useing the balanced method rather than the "quick carb" ie: hooking the gas up at serving pressure and leaving 10 - 14 days.

The only thing that concerns me is leaving the gas on for that period of time should one have any leaks in the system - though I have checked and all seems OK.

I did wonder if the bottle was turned off overnight would there be enough co2 still present in the regulator to compensate for the amount of gas that would be absorbed into the beer during that period of time? If so the next morning the bottle could be turned on again where one could keep a closer eye on things until confidence if gained in a leak proof system.

I wouldn't be turning it off every night, if you're going to be using it everyday. Think about it this way, if you have a leak, you'll find out, and you'll need to fix it. I leave mine connected and on all the time. found a leak - fixed - no dramas now, was a lesson, but now it's set and forget.

I have been thinking about carbing my next keg useing the balanced method rather than the "quick carb" ie: hooking the gas up at serving pressure and leaving 10 - 14 days.

The only thing that concerns me is leaving the gas on for that period of time should one have any leaks in the system - though I have checked and all seems OK.

I did wonder if the bottle was turned off overnight would there be enough co2 still present in the regulator to compensate for the amount of gas that would be absorbed into the beer during that period of time? If so the next morning the bottle could be turned on again where one could keep a closer eye on things until confidence if gained in a leak proof system.
[/quote

i understand the thinking but i dont think it is a good idea to keep turning gas on and off,i know what you mean by getting confidence in your system not leaking too, but instead of turning it on and off all the time"this is part of your original problem in your other post"try keeping a small pastry brush or new paint brush in a jar of really soapy water, then when ever you want to know if its okay just brush the mixture around all your connections to see if there are any leaks"air bubbles from soapy mixture on seals and connections" this way you can get confident about your system not leaking, do it 6 times a day if you need, so if its stable with no leaks you are not moving the connections around much then it shouldnt leak anyway. i had the same thinking when i started kegging for about a week but now only test it when i refill a new keg or move the kegs around in the fridge for any reason
. cheers
fergi

Same here, I always leave my kegs at serving pressure to carb up. If you have a leak in the system it is still going to leak when you do turn your gas on, and when you turn the gas off the leak will ensure all kegs in the system loose their pressure. Get spare seals and keep some seal lube handy. I have only had a leak once in my many years of kegging. It was when I didn't worry about keeping the seals lubed, since never had a drama (touch wood)

I run two kegs for drinking and two for gassing. So by the drinking kegs are empty the other two have had heaps of time to gas. I have a spray bottle of spapy water in the fridge to test for leaks.

The amount of gas left in the line/reg is nothing compared to the volumes absorbed into the beer. Beer will be gassed to about 2.4 times its volume.

QldKev

God advice, make sure it's right to start with and then your not introducing additional problems into the system.

Thanks once again

I agree with this. Set and forget, put the keg in the fridge on a Sunday night, and on Friday night the kegs is cold, carbonated, and ready to go.

If your looking for leaks try a small spray bottle mixed with plain tap water, and liquid detergent. Spray on the connectors and watch for bubbles.

I wouldn't be turning it off every night, if you're going to be using it everyday. Think about it this way, if you have a leak, you'll find out, and you'll need to fix it. I leave mine connected and on all the time. found a leak - fixed - no dramas now, was a lesson, but now it's set and forget.

I'll just add my method to the already excellent replies.

I always carb up the kegs at servig pressure, usually give them several shakes and then I find that they settle out about right after 24 - 48 hours and I turn the gas bottle off at night.

cheers

Latest posts

Back