Slabs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they dont do liquor in NSW ... they do in Victoria

ive tried the bourbon and cola and wont be doing that again ... not good

they dont do liquor in NSW ... they do in Victoria

ive tried the bourbon and cola and wont be doing that again ... not good

Ohh man I wish they did in NSW....Aldi is awesome...scored 3.4kgs of Kalamata (spelling?) olives the other week for $14....SCORE!!!!! And anyway how many place can you buy all those cheap tools to build your brew stand with and get the loaf of bread at the same time :p

hahaha Pok

+1 for aldi's, cheap shopping and you can buy man stuff there two :super:

Back to topic, not in any order depends on my mood 1: Tooheys Pils, cheap at around $40 slab very underrated aussie beer, have converted all who taste it ( I know I know its no Pilsner urquell but its not as exy as it either )

2:Just discovered Little Creatures Pale Ale :icon_drool2: Where has it been all my life, bloody pearla, made a mess in my pants when i tasted this little gem.

3:The old favorite Tooheys old top australian porter. Steady performer always good and you can get it in king browns.

Mate i could go on and on but their my fav three at the moment. So much beer only one liver. :beerbang:

Oh i nearly forgot Murrays Sassy Blonde, Absolutely amazing Belgian Pale ale Leffe blond clone, another pantsmesseruperra you've got to try this even just a four pack. Thanks Australia.

Not a slab, but bws has a special on at the moment for two minikegs (5L) of any combo of eku pils, kapuziner weissbier or a kellerbier brewed by the same mob. two kegs for $60. Never tried any of them but got SWMBO to pick up a weissbier ($35) as it has some good reviews here Between being a uni student, having four kegs and god knows how many bottles of my own and trying to shift ten kilos, I couldn't really justify the second keg ;)

yer i've tried murrays sassy blonde and loved it got a similar brew in the fermentor atm, good to have a belgian beer with a lower abv too when ur not up 4 a big night haha

yer i got some konig pils the other night ,very very good :D especially for 40$ and got monteiths summer ale cos it was on special for 40$ thinking it would taste similr to a golden ale james squire ohh god how i was wrong in a word ginger beer :angry:
might try tooheys old next its good to get some dark beers for the winter

I usually go for Coopers Pale Ale Gotta get some drunk again to reculture the yeast mmmm :p

I thought that would be the ultimate mans shopping dream!

Aldi's is cheap but they don't stock enough stuff, so you need to go to another grocer to get everything else. At least that's the case with my local Aldi, so I haven't been there recently except to buy a $30 DivX DVD player...

Anyway, Slabs... Last slab I bought was during Xmas cooking time, bought some Tasman Bitter from Liquorland. Every bit as good as Boag's draught ;)

With the season turning, I'm drinking less beer, so my brewing should be able to keep up, at last. Only buying the odd single or mixed sixer to try new beers or revisit old faves.

Hard to go past a case of Coopers longies...Pale or Sparkling.
Last time I bought one, from Dan Murphys, it was $45 for 12 good quality longies of a good quality beer.
Big thumbs up for the Coopers Longies in any flavour. Got a carton of Stout a week ago. Perfect winter drinking at $36 for a carton from Dan Murpys here in SA.

Plus you get the king browns x 12 for bottling afterwards!

... and don't forget the yeast that you can culture from them as well. All adds up to GOOD value.
This is probably answered elsewhere but is the Stout yeast the same as the yeast in the pales?

Another vote for Haagen, though buggered if I know where you get it for $29. bought it at dan murphy's for $39. Four blokes all agreed it was a bloody good drop.
Really? It's not worth that much. I started drinking it when it first come out @$24 6 years ago, stopped drinking it when it went slowly up to $29. That's from the nookenburra hotel though, they were first to get it and Squires in WA and still the cheapest for both.
I'd never pay more than $30 for it, it's malty but bland on the hops. These days I stick to coopers (any of them) in longneck cartons, helps to have all the proper crown seal bottles. I have pay $50 for a carton of longnecks though :( That's only $4 a long neck, when they're $5 for a single, so good value anyway. But I'm envious of anyone who can get them for $40.
Coopes stubbies are often $40, but I need the bottles and don't need the wasted space of twist top stubbies.

i got a slab of holgate mt macedon and fish rock brewery lager bot very good but pricy way too pricy loved the caramel sweetness of the holgate fish rock was a good beer but not extraordinary for its price

after buying a few slabs i've gotta say my new favorite over coopers is furstenburg from 1st choice @ 40$ a slab and good crown seal bottles :chug:

i found the ultimate slab session beer
(at least i think so)

its called MAE's its a belgian pale ale similar to stella but costs only 30$ a slab at vintage cellars atm so its both quality and quantity ;)

If you can stretch the budget I reckon cases of LCPA pints. I lived of em for a while (easy within the budget cuz i dont drink a lot lol) and theyre excellent bottles for your own brew afterwards.

Either that or come over to my neck of the woods, a nice feller is doing his own importing and undercutting a lot of the brewed under license stuff, so you get proper imported euro lagers etc for around $40 a case, or things like hogaarden wit for $45/case...

(at least i think so)

its called MAE's its a belgian pale ale similar to stella but costs only 30$ a slab at vintage cellars atm so its both quality and quantity ;)
It's very dissapointing for a belgian beer brewed over there, I had high hopes but it's pretty average, and a couple of posts mention it in the worst beer thread as dissapointing too.
It's not bad, just not in the range of squires or coopers for flavour.But at the price it can't be beat, it's better than Haagen too which is over $30 a carton now. But it's similar to haagen, lots of malt, not much hops. At least it doesn't taste bad, like anything else under $40, eg tasman, tooheys, CUB etc. In fact most of my mates will love it, I might buy another to share with friends at the next party, none of my other mates have heard of it yet and I tried it 4 months ago( didn't seem good enough to even mention to them, but now haagen has gone up so much in price...)

(at least i think so)

Very dissapointed in MAES. no taste. should have spent $30 on HBsupplies. Althought I bought it because im not going to be abl to brew for the next 6 weeks and dont have enough HB stocks to last.

its very dissappointing that all your tasman bitters etc are now over $30. even your Hollandia from Vintage Cellars was an ok drop for what you paid. but no chance of getting that for under $30 now.

Latest posts

Back