Skip bittering additions with hopstand?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crusty said:
That's interesting
I've never encountered any extra bitterness from dry hopping & according to BeerSmith 2, BrewMate & BeerTools pro, a dry hop addition of even a fairly high Alpha hop, adds no bitterness ( IBU ) to the finished wort. It's unusual that you got that result.
I just don't see how a hop floating in fermentation temperature wort can release any bittering compounds..Maybe something has affected your bitterness but I'm pretty confident that it was not coming from a dry hop addition.
IBU is a measurement of alpha acid isomerisation only. There are other bittering compounds in hops that beersmith won't take into account. Bite a hop pellet. Soak some in water and drink the water. No IBUs, still bitter.

Parks said:
Please try the dry hop experiment I mentioned - soak a couple of pellets in a shot of vodka for 24hrs, strain and drink. You will find the result very bitter.
To be a controlled experiment, be sure to do a shot of straight vodka first - so you know about the 'sharpness' of that vodka. Then try your hop + vodka experiment.

Then do a couple more shots of vodka just to be sure….

good luck with the results.

rockeye84 said:
Beersmith2 has an option for steep/whirlpool, which calulates the ibus depending on time of whirlpool/steep. But is doesn't adjust the boil additions accordingly, as in by adding a 15min hop stand, a 10min boil addition pretty much becomes a 25min addition, IBU wise. Thats why my 25 min addition in reality will be going in with 10min of the boil remaining.

I agree with Parks, I have found my less bitter beers seem more bitter after dry hopping, but most crap you read on the net states that dry hopping adds no bitterness..
I've been scratching my head on this problem with Beersmith2 for a while now but your solution seems simple and intuitive, cheers for that info!

This might be something for another thread, but does anyone have any examples of hops that they thought added more perceived bitterness when dry-hopped / added for hop stand than others?

Sure they all might to a varying degree - but since the focus with hops is usually on IBU I'd be keen to hear - Manticle / Spiesy / others?!

Would be good to refer to when deciding whether to dry-hop or also if a beer is coming out less bitter than planned during fermentation...

supertonio said:
I reads a really good article in BYO magazine online about 'hop bursting' (which I'm assuming is similar to what you mean) when you add all your hop addition in the last 30-20 mins.

I have just done this on a centennial APA by adding hops around every 5 mins at the 30 min mark. Am almost easy to bottle and the taste from the fermenter is really good. The bitterness is really smooth as opposed to a big whack which you sometimes get from a normal 60 min addition.
this is the link to the article on hop bursting, it seems quite a few breweries use this method

http://www.mrmalty.com/late_hopping.php

Not off topic at all mate, I will be doing this my next brew, as per the recipe I posted at the start of this thread. Ill keep you all posted on how it goes.

pat86 said:
This might be something for another thread, but does anyone have any examples of hops that they thought added more perceived bitterness when dry-hopped / added for hop stand than others?

Sure they all might to a varying degree - but since the focus with hops is usually on IBU I'd be keen to hear - Manticle / Spiesy / others?!

Would be good to refer to when deciding whether to dry-hop or also if a beer is coming out less bitter than planned during fermentation...
I often find certain hops give bitterness during dry hop. One particularly bitter brew was dry hopped with vic secret . 30 gm in a 19 ltr keg. The total beer in the fermenter was 22 ltr so I also did a few bottles with no dry hop. The bottles were as expected but the kegged beer was way more bitter. A harsh lingering bitterness. At the time I assumed that extra bitterness was extracted due to having the hop bag in the keg under very high pressure for 24 hrs to carb.

''twas a good read, that dude has a super serious setup. I've seen his brewery before but, flicking through and looking a a dedicated conditioning fridge ect -wow

I'm curious about the temperature of the hop stands, and how that affects the bitterness. For ultra hoppy beers I like to do an 80C 15min hop stand, then a 60C 15min hop stand.. Really brings out the flavour, but I can't calculate the IBU outcome in beersmtih... the whirlpool/steep option adds the IBUs (I'm assuming) at 100C or therabouts... pretty sure these lower temps would not extract as much bitterness. My experience says that it definitely tastes less bitter than the IBUs would suggest...

I usually just aim 10 IBU higher than I want and that seems to work out OK, although I'd prefer to find out how to actually know that I'm hitting the right mark with a recipe.

Latest posts

Back