Skin formed on cider......?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

einnebcj

Reaction score
Hi all

Got 10l of cider in the fermenter - been there for four weeks. Just checked it tonight for the first time in a week or so and noticed a whitish skin has formed over the top. Little jiggle of the fermenter sees the skin split.

panic?

possibly acetobacter. Has it been actively fermenting the whole time and has it been exposed to oxygen?

Time will tell - I had white skin form on cider once without noticeable taste issues occurring in finished bottles even months later but skin is not a good sign. Taste will also tell.

Haven't taken a hydro in a couple of weeks but was pretty low then so I'd say it's fermented out by now. And yes to oxygen - not long period....but exposure is exposure. Maybe should take a sample.....

Had a taste.......a moments silence please.......she's gone.

Very very bad taste - still lingering there in my mouth a few minutes later.

Bugger

Wonder if I can get another batch down ready for Xmas.........

The fact that after drinking about 20ml I feel sick seems a fair indicator it's beyond vinegar or salad dressing!

No chilled?

(That's a joke for old blokes. The point is that there isn't really anything that can make you sick in even really shit beer.)

Latest posts

Back