Six String Brewing Comp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fungrel

Reaction score
upload_2017-6-27_12-16-16.png

Foghorn also have a brew comp next Tuesday 7pm. Anyone going? I am likely unable to attend anyway. May get along to six string next month tho.

So six strings website is... a little lacking... in anything. the only info is on the facebook post above.
I will hopefully give them a call at some stage.

So I got an entry form and info, here's the rules:

Six Strings Home Brew Comp Rules said:
The Six String Home Brew-off is open to amateur home brewers. Beers made at a commercial brewing facility using commercial equipment or with assistance of a professional brewer will be disqualified. Entries must be made by home brewers at their home.

Cost of entry is $5 per entry and a maximum of 4 entries per person.

Entries will be limited to the first 80 paid entries. Entries are open from Thursday 22nd June and bottles must be delivered to Six String Brewing Co 4/5 Chiltern Road Erina, no later than 5pm Sunday 30th July

Bottle requirements:
Each entry is to be submitted as two bottles, minimum 330ml, Max 750 ml. Bottles must be free of identifying marks. Bottle caps should be plain. Bottle must have a bottle ID tag with category and style attached by rubber band – not glue, string or tape. Brewers Id will be provided at the time of entering.

Entries will be judged based on the BJCP Style guidelines. Entrants are required to select the category and subcategory ??? for their entries. The categories have been limited to assist in limiting the number of competition entries. If you are not familiar with the BJCP, please read the guidelines for your entry style, where commercial examples are included.

Judging will be a blind tasting and bottles must be unidentifiable in any way. Judges will include Six String Brewers plus experienced Home brewers. Brewers will receive a copy of the judges scoring sheet for their brews entered. This can be collected from the Six String Brewing Co tasting room the following week.

Judging for the Six String Home Brew-off categories will take place of Friday 4th August and Best in Show judging on Saturday 5th August during the international Beer day celebrations. Winners will be announced on this date at an award ceremony, if brewers are not in attendance they will be notified and prizes sent to them after the event.

Prizes will be given for 1st 2nd and 3rd for each category and Grand champion (best of show). The Grand champion will have the opportunity to brew their recipe at Six String Brewing Co.

Failure to observe the competition rules will result in disqualification of the entry or in some cases the brewer.

Entrant names and pictures may be used in publicity material following the event.

Judges, organisers and stewards and any affiliated parties are NOT permitted entries in the competition.

KEY DATES:
Entries Open - June 22nd
Entries close – July 30th
Category judging takes place – August 4th
Best of show judging and winners announced – August 6th

Categories:
• Pale Ales
• Indian Pale Ales
• Stouts
• Specialty beers

Got permission to post the entry form.

Entries to be in before 5pm 30th July

Attachments

• Six Strings Homebrew Entry Form.pdf
    65.8 KB · Views: 97
Entries close for this one this Sunday.

cool, i will be visiting my mum up in copa this weekend and have been meaning to visit that brewery, may as well kill two birds with one stone and drop an entry off. any idea on how many entries they have so far?

cool, i will be visiting my mum up in copa this weekend and have been meaning to visit that brewery, may as well kill two birds with one stone and drop an entry off. any idea on how many entries they have so far?
When I called them >2 weeks ago, they only had a couple, but that will get exponentially more as the deadline creeps up.

So I dropped off the winning entries last night and got my number.
Wasn't able to get any info on what time the announcement will be made on the 5th August... Would like to be there, but if I don't get an indication on the time, I wont be able to.

So I dropped off the winning entries last night and got my number.
Wasn't able to get any info on what time the announcement will be made on the 5th August... Would like to be there, but if I don't get an indication on the time, I wont be able to.

What did you enter? I have a beer I wanted to enter but I'm sure the bigger beers in the speciality would dominate. If they had a lager category, would've sent a few in.

Belgian pale ale
American pale ale
English IPA

See how they go.

Apparently the tasting is going on atm.

Six Strings Facebook said:
Today, International IPA Day, the brewers are judging the entries to the Home Brew Competition.

This Saturday, we are holding the Presentation for the Home Brew Competition here at the Brewery @ 4PM. Our awesome Events Coordinator, Che, will be doing a blind tasting beforehand @ 2:30PM. Gold coin donation to enter the blind tasting and you're in the running to win a ticket into next weeks Märzen Brew Day!

Hey Braydon, congrats on second place with your American pale ale or was it the Belgian?

Any idea if we can get the score sheets?

They were handing out the score sheets on the day, might pay to get in contact.

From my feedback, the judges were generally good, however, with comments like 'estery hops', I think they need a crash course on terminology.

Back