Siphoning Boiling Wort?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BusinessTime

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been reading up on the no-chill method and was thinking I would like to give it a go, I have an empty 15L wort pack that i was going to fill up when i do my next brew.

I was wondering how you guys go about getting the boiling/near-boiling wort into the no chill cube safely.

I was thinking that siphoning it would be the safest approach, using some kind of high heat tolerant tubing (ala neoprene tubing tho it's quite expensive).

I've only ever started siphoning liquids from a fermenter and usually i just pre fill the tube with sterilised water to get the suction going, I assume doing this with boiling liquid is probably a bad idea as even if i start the siphoning with cool water at some point the tube will heat up to nearly the temp of the wort.

Would love some advice on the matter.

Thanks,
Dave

siphoning is ok. I've done it before when i had some hops block my kettle tap. Best off IMO getting a tap put on your kettle though, much easier.

When i did it i just stuck some tubing in, sucked real hard, burnt my tounge and it started flowing straight into the no chill fermenter.

siphoning is ok. I've done it before when i had some hops block my kettle tap. Best off IMO getting a tap put on your kettle though, much easier.

When i did it i just stuck some tubing in, sucked real hard, burnt my tounge and it started flowing straight into the no chill fermenter.

Thanks for the advice, did you have to use special tubing i.e. silicone or neoprene ? I only have a small 20L pot i got from BigW so i'm not really at the stage of putting fittings into it.

If you are using a 20L pot why no chill? You can easily cool that down in a sink of water!

I wanted to do the boil at my place then brew elsewhere. I thought it would be easier to move to cooled wort around. Also the convenience of not having to pitch etc on the same day is useful as i dont have heaps of time etc....

You can also use a jiggler syphon. Buy them at autoparts stores.
http://www.gimmecarparts.com.au/search.cfm...hCategory=TP920
I use one at present, as I haven't had the courage as yet to drill through my new 40 litre alu pot to install a tap, although I'll have to do it one day.

Thanks, that looks like a good solution, so do you use a special plastic tubing ? Are there issues with the plastic melting at hot temps etc ... ?

you dont need "special" tubing as you say - i just use the stuff my homebrew store sells. Its food grade. Yea the tubing gets pretty hot and goes soft but its not gonna melt.

Make yourself a racking cane out of a bit of copper pipe. Bit of a bend at the botttom to keep the end up out of the trub etc and a bend at the top (like an elongated S) to hook/hang over the side of the pot. Push your tubing over the end of the pipe. Stops the tubing kinking over the edge of the pot when hot and stopping the flow.

you dont need "special" tubing as you say - i just use the stuff my homebrew store sells. Its food grade. Yea the tubing gets pretty hot and goes soft but its not gonna melt.

Bit like the Bombers hey Fents....when the heat is turned up they go sssoooofffffttttttttttttt :D

Rook

[RANT]

Oh dear - They have one good season Rook and now all the supporters come out of the woodwork.

You need another good 7 or so premierships to give me shit mate :p

maybe whilst Ess get their shit together over the next 4 years you guys can catch up eh? ;) hahahaha

[/RANT]

BACK ON TOPIC! huhuhuh

Back