Single Hop Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know this thread is getting out of hand a bit, but I think we need to clarify some things on the style

According to BJCP, there are 3 IPA's (rightly or wrongly)
1. English IPA - "A moderate to moderately high hop aroma of floral, earthy or fruity nature is typical, although the intensity of hop character is usually lower than American versions." and "hop flavor should be similar to the aroma (floral, earthy, fruity, and/or slightly grassy)." - you need to use fuggles or goldings for this beer

2. American IPA - "A prominent to intense hop aroma with a citrusy, floral, perfume-like, resinous, piney, and/or fruity character derived from American hops" and "Hop flavor is medium to high, and should reflect an American hop character with citrusy, floral, resinous, piney or fruity aspects."

3. Imperial IPA - "Hop flavor is strong and complex, and can reflect the use of American, English and/or noble hop varieties. High to absurdly high hop bitterness"

I think it is a bit awkward to call any american style beer Imperial :p

If you want to be traditional, then the English version is it. Anyhow, if you wish to enter your americanised version of the IPA in an Australian competition, be prepared for it to be marked down severely as it doesn't meet the 2004 (current) guidelines used in most competitions. The English IPA does meet this style.

Cheers
Pedro

Ok, I'll turn the bitterness switch to OFF for a while (no pun intended, really).
What do you recommend I call my beer if I'm using a number of international ingredients?
I think there's nothing wrong with calling it an International Pale Ale, as it's a bit more severe than an American paley, and obviously has nothing American in it. It meets the gravity and IBU requirements, what is a more appropriate name if it's not an IPA, and not an American IPA?

Dunkel_Boy said:
what is a more appropriate name if it's not an IPA, and not an American IPA?
[post="48172"][/post]​

I would just call it a beer based on the Americanised IPA. As it doesn't really meet the style guidelines, that's all you can do.

Cheers
Pedro

Pedro said:
I would just call it a beer based on the Americanised IPA. As it doesn't really meet the style guidelines, that's all you can do.

Cheers
Pedro
[post="48174"][/post]​

Hmmm, I'm going to get some crap for calling it American, I'll see what Pacific Gem is like before I say it's slightly American (if it is a little fruity, I guess it would fall in the American guidelines). For now, I think I will refer to it as my 'high gravity, high IBU paley'.

Dunkel_Boy said:
For now, I think I will refer to it as my 'high gravity, high IBU paley'.
[post="48177"][/post]​

And the style-nazis breathe a sigh of relief ;)

*sigh* my job here is done.

PostModern said:
And the style-nazis breathe a sigh of relief ;)

*sigh* my job here is done.
[post="48180"][/post]​

Congratulations, you're a hero now...

Yeast was probably going to be Muntons Gold, though I'm a fan of WLP Burton Ale something like Goldings would probably be more suitable for that yeast. So I'll settle on Muntons Gold.

Dunkel_Boy said:
I'm considering doing an all-Challenger down the road, but chose not to mention it in the last post. I'll see how this Pacific Gem turns out first, and see how I go from there. Sorry that my beer has caused so much offense...
[post="48127"][/post]​

If you're thinking of using Challenger as a late hop. Make sure you age the beer well.

I'm struggling to get through a kilo of Challenger Pellets at the moment. When I've late-hopped with it, it has left a bit of a strange and not what I'd call pleasant flavour early on. It's what I'd describe as strangely vegetal.

Give it about 6+ weeks to age and the odd flavours mellow out somewhat into a pleasant fruitiness. I much prefer Target as an alternative British hop.

Think I'll keep the rest (about 600g) of Challenger for bittering purposes only. Definitely not my favourite hop at the moment. :(

However other's tastes/experiences may differ.

Warren -

I've used it successfully in bittering (Challenger that is) but on reading the BYO notes I thought it might be ok for aroma/flavouring as well... apparently not.
Thanks for the heads up. If I do an IPA (ie English, to style) I will probably use two types of hops, don't know that I could do it with just one, unless you can strongly recommend Target...

Now I dont mean to throw a spanner into this wonderful style debate, but I do wish to raise an interesting point.

Many of the tastiest new beers (in my opinion) over here that are being released at the moment are Bitters or "Golden Ales" that use entirely american hops. Cascade, Amarillo, Centennial, Simcoe etc etc.

Now these beers are normally brewed with all english malt, english yeast, and served via pump or gravity. The brewerys label them as bitter, or gold/golden. Lots of them are quite bitter, and have huge american hop flavours (grapefruit, lychee, citrus, pine etc).

IMO these, along with quite a few other beers I've tasted whilst here do not fit into the BJCP style guidelines. There is a serious gap (and quite a few inaccurate notations) in the guidelines when it comes to european beers in general. I guess that can be forgiven though as it is an american style guideline strictly intended for home brew competitions.

FWIW the term "golden" was given to a 50/50 mix of lager and bitter, at least in my corner of the old dart,
.....carry on.

The BJCP guidelines (and the AABC ones for that matter) are not static (nor should they be). The '99 BJCP list did not even include Irish Red Ale, for example. As new styles appear commercially and eventually in homebrewed form (or vice versa) they are added. Beers styles come and they go, and they change... and they are understood and interpreted differently in different parts of the world. I've never said that home or commercial brewers should stick to existing defined styles. How boring would that be?

We, as serious homebrewers, are custodians of the craft. As such we should endevour to leave a legacy of information for future brewers, not misinformation. This site is getting higher and higher prominance in search engines so the "information" entered here by homebrewers should be accurate. Matching SRM, IBU and OG alone does not put a beer into a category (as my attempts at "Baltic Porters" will testify).

Misuse of style names serves only to foster ignorance rather than promote learning.

Given the fervour of American brewers, original styles like IPA could be forever forgotten in the swarm of citrus flavoured brews, which is why I got back on my hobbyhorse in this thread.

Dunkel_Boy, I apologise for taking your thread off track. I hope you enjoy your single hop pale ale.

(FWIW, I'm brewing a Burton style IPA this weekend - provided my old WLP023 kicks into life).

PostModern, you are forgiven.
What are your hops like in this Burton IPA?

warrenlw63 said:
Dunkel_Boy said:
I'm considering doing an all-Challenger down the road, but chose not to mention it in the last post. I'll see how this Pacific Gem turns out first, and see how I go from there. Sorry that my beer has caused so much offense...
[post="48127"][/post]​

I'm struggling to get through a kilo of Challenger Pellets at the moment. When I've late-hopped with it, it has left a bit of a strange and not what I'd call pleasant flavour early on. It's what I'd describe as strangely vegetal.

[post="48237"][/post]​

Sorry guys. I'm a dickhead. Have to print a retraction here. :(

I'm forever stuffing up names. The hop I was talking about was PROGRESS not CHALLENGER. Why the bloody hell do I always stuff these two up.

Can't comment on Challenger haven't tried them.

However Progress is the one I meant. Strange finish in the beer early on. Mellows out up to 6 weeks or so later.

Apologies to anybody I've put off using Challenger. :blink:

Warren -

I'll weigh in a little on the stylistic purity debate here as well;

If you're ambivalent at all about this. Brew your stylistically-correct beers for comps if that's your thing.

Do your left-of-centre, experimental type beers for yourself and your drinking peers. IMO That's where they're really appreciated.

Guidelines are strictly that. They're a way for judges to keep some form of uniformity in comps. Which is basically needed to keep some form of sanity.

However. If you're just pumping out 25 litres for your own consumption IMO some of the best beers you can make are the ones that think outside the box.

Warren -
(again)

Ross said:
Even my favourite little micro in Sussex, UK is now using Cascade hops in some of their brews - they're no longer making the single hop Progress IPA that inspired my version...

http://www.kingfamilybrewers.co.uk/seasonal.htm
[post="48327"][/post]​

Hey Ross,

I'm getting thirsty just looking at their labels. Not bad looking labels actually.

One question though. With the bottled Mallard. How do they shove the duck in the bottle?? :lol:

(or should that be duck shove)

Warren -

Warren,

I've had exactly the same problem with my progress pellets - My single hopped progress IPA nearly went down the sink - thought it had badly oxidised - but after 3 months it has developed into a wonderfully unique beer, with what I can only describe as a rich "turkish delight" choclate flavour - was the hit at our monthly brew meet recently at my place...

I've found it imparts that grassy type flavour even when used just for bittering, when looking back on my brewing notes - so must admit i haven't used it at all since... but now rethinking??...maybe one for long term bottling?...

P.S - fully agree with your style comments as well.... :chug:

Ross said:
Warren,

I've found it imparts that grassy type flavour even when used just for bittering, when looking back on my brewing notes - so must admit i haven't used it at all since... but now rethinking??...maybe one for long term bottling?...

P.S - fully agree with your style comments as well.... :chug:
[post="48333"][/post]​

Yep, agree wholeheartedly. Mellows out really nice. Only problem is I put mine into a couple of lowish grav. bitters which I was looking forward to consuming within weeks of brewing and also a Summer Ale.

I've tried them dry-hopped. (Not for the feint-hearted). Putting them in at strikeout (nearly as bad) and flavour hopping with no further additons, 15 minutes from strikeout and still pick the weedy flavour.

But yes, about 6+ weeks in develops very nice (berry/currantish?) type flavours and typically English Ale tasting.

Think I'll keep the balance of the kilo I purchased and put them into a keeping type beer like a Barley Wine or Imperial Stout. Can give it six months or so to mellow out and would be most interested to check the flavour profile after this. :chug:

Yep, style comments stand. Conformity is for comps or those who actually derive joy from following rules. I like to say whadthef... and break them occasionally. ;)

Warren -

Okay, I can give you some info on Challenger hops.

From what I have read it is the second most used hop for bittering in the UK behind Target.

I have been using it for over a year and love the flavours it imparts. In my single hop IPA with Challenger it gave a real marmalade type flavour and even aroma.

I use it mainly for bittering and often combine it with Fuggles for bittering which is definately to my taste. :beerbang:

C&B
TDA

Latest posts

Back