Single hop IPA question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killer Brew

Reaction score
My IPA's have been my Achilles heel. I'm yet to make one that I have been happy with. Comp judges have pointed towards diacetyl as the main fault. But now I have O2 am keen to have another crack.

To increase my chances of success I want to simplify things as much as I can for this batch. I have stripped back the grain bill and am dialling back the ABV to 6% for a 25L batch. Also I want to go with a single hop. Looking at what I have on hand I think Simcoe might be my best option. I only have 100g on hand however so am looking for opinions on best way to use. Am thinking that if I can get to 40 ibu's that would be enough.

So something like:
20g @ FWH (60 min boil)
20g @ 15 mins
20g @ 5 mins
20g @ Whirlpool
20g @ Dry Hop (3 Days)

Thoughts?

Personally I use 100-120g for a dry hop in my 23l IPAs.
That probably doesn't help much but I drink a lot of them and that's how I prefer them.

I'm not sure 100g is gonna be enough to make 25L of decent IPA. But if thats all you have, I'd focus on dry hopping - move the 15 and 5 min additions to the dry hop. Also even though you want to focus only on one hop, move the FWH to the whirlpool and use something else as your bittering addition - you won't taste it anyway.

So
FWH - something high AA for whatever IBU you want
Whirlpool 40g simcoe
Dryhop 60g simcoe

I would focus on the cause of diacetyl rather than brewing another beer with shed load of hops.

LorriSanga said:
I would focus on the cause of diacetyl rather than brewing another beer with shed load of hops.
Diacetyl was a ferment issue. The introduction of my O2 set up seems to have solved it.

Perhaps consider forgetting about FWH & add the bittering addition somewhere between 30 & 20 minutes (90 minute boil).
Get rid of the 15 min & 5 min additions & add them to your whirlpool addition which should ideally give you flavour & no IBU's at all.

Flameout -- chill to 82 -- pump off -- add whirlpool hops & sit for 45 minutes with cover over kettle -- pump on again & chill down.
I would at least double every hop addition in your original post & dry hop at least 3.0g/litre for a decent IPA.

A good way to balance your hop/malt additions is to check your Bitterness Ratio against a website similar to this but don't forget that those recommendations are only average.
http://homebrewmanual.com/media/beer-bitterness-ratio-chart-bu-gu.pdf

While a little expensive, I like to think that my Thunderation AIPA with 300g of various hops in 23 litres is a nice beer for the style. Pretty much my house beer these days.

Thanks Pete. So with my target gravity 1060 that would mean ibu's of around 45 - 50. I have some galaxy that could do the early addition saving all of the Simcoe for whirlpool and dry hopping.

TidalPete said:
add them to your whirlpool addition which should ideally give you flavour & no IBU's at all.

Flameout -- chill to 82 -- pump off -- add whirlpool hops & sit for 45 minutes with cover over kettle -- pump on again & chill down.
40 g of Simcoe in 25 litres subjected to that regime will give you about 8 IBU.

Single hop aborted. Will try another time when I have more hops on hand or the LHBS is open. It is now a mix of US hops instead, all late additions:

Warrior 60g @ 15mins
Simcoe 50g @ 5mins
Amarillo 25g @ 5 mins
Simcoe 25g @ Whirlpool
Amarillo 15g @ Whirlpool
Simcoe 25g @ Dry Hop (3 days)
Amarillo 20g @ Dry Hop (3 days)

Projected ibu's = 62

Sound better?

I still think you're way short on hops, especially your dry hop. You currently have less than 2g/L in the dry hop. FWIW my IPA's start at about 6g/L. IPA's are (relatively) expensive if you want them to taste awesome.

Latest posts

Back