Single Hop Apa Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm currently drinking an Nelson Sauvin SMASH APA.
Nothing but Pilsner malt and NS, it's a thing of beauty.
Smooth bitterness and you get plenty of bang for your buck.

If you can get your hands on some Warrior hops, I reckon they'd make an excellent single hop beer. At 16.4%AA, you won't need to use much either!

I'm currently drinking an Nelson Sauvin SMASH APA.
Nothing but Pilsner malt and NS, it's a thing of beauty.
Smooth bitterness and you get plenty of bang for your buck.

At 16.4%AA, you won't need to use much either!

Unless you add your bittering addition @ 20 mins :icon_drool2:

As an extract brewer aswell and someone who wants to learn his ingrediants i think its good to do single hop apa's I've done cascade, styrian goldings, Nelson Sauvin, and galaxy all with the same base (350g 60L Crystal and 250g CArapils) So I think the key is just to do it then find what hops and combinations you like

As an extract brewer aswell and someone who wants to learn his ingrediants i think its good to do single hop apa's I've done cascade, styrian goldings, Nelson Sauvin, and galaxy all with the same base (350g 60L Crystal and 250g CArapils) So I think the key is just to do it then find what hops and combinations you like

Thats what I am going for. Just trying to work out what one thing tastes like at a time.

Doing the same myself, i think its a great idea for people trying to learn about each hop gives. i'm a new BIAG'er and found a tasty base malt recipe and have run through amarillo, galaxy, hallertau and bsaaz. Have Nelson sauvin, summer saaz, green bullet on the list next. Then an IPA or two to see how much i have learned.

Doing the same myself, i think its a great idea for people trying to learn about each hop gives. i'm a new BIAG'er and found a tasty base malt recipe and have run through amarillo, galaxy, hallertau and bsaaz. Have Nelson sauvin, summer saaz, green bullet on the list next. Then an IPA or two to see how much i have learned.

Any favorite out of them so far?

Amarillo so far but i haven't tasted the galaxy its getting kegged this weekend.

That is exactly what I did with Ross's Summer ale recipe.

It was a great learning experience for me where I learnt Nelson really needs something else with it. Though i am going to re visit again soon.

I've been doing the same for the last 2 brews (Nelson Sauvin, then Green Bullet) and have some Galaxy to try at some point. Grain bill has just been a base grain with some torrefied wheat.

The NS is far & away the best thing I've brewed so far, roughly following Ross' Summer Ale recipe in the database. The Green Bullet has only been in the bottle two weeks, but has almost no taste or flavour at all, I don't know what went wrong.

Back