Single Hop Apa Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boostin

Reaction score
How does this look as far as a single hop APA would go? I like a decent amount of hop flavour and aroma. I have read some people say that you can taste bittering hops, and others say you can't, is there any general agreement of the 'best' bittering hops to use?

Here is what Beersmith gave me. Will Ferment @ 18 with US-05.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 12.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 9.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 39.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.80 kg Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 46.15 %
0.30 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 7.69 %
10.00 gm Super Alpha [12.00 %] (60 min) Hops 18.6 IBU
30.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (20 min) Hops 15.5 IBU
30.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
30.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -

Mash Schedule: None
Total Grain Weight: 4.54 kg
----------------------------
Steep grains as desired (30-60 minutes)

How does this look as far as a single hop APA would go? I like a decent amount of hop flavour and aroma. I have read some people say that you can taste bittering hops, and others say you can't, is there any general agreement of the 'best' bittering hops to use?

Here is what Beersmith gave me. Will Ferment @ 18 with US-05.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 12.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 9.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 39.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.30 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 7.69 %
10.00 gm Super Alpha [12.00 %] (60 min) Hops 18.6 IBU
30.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (20 min) Hops 15.5 IBU
30.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
30.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -

Mash Schedule: None
Total Grain Weight: 4.54 kg
----------------------------
Steep grains as desired (30-60 minutes)

I see two hop varieties and haven't had a drink...........yet :lol:

I can taste some bittering hop varieties, personally love Super Alpha as a bittering hop, beautiful when mixed with Amarillo (JS Golden Ale). Don't think there will ever be concensus on a bittering hop. Too many hop varieties, too many brewers :lol:

Screwy

)

I am a little confused too.

However Horizon is a nice bittering hop in an APA and whist I have not made one, but tried Nelson Sauvingon makes for a good single hop beer.

Pumpy :)

Looks fine to me, but it's really a two hop APA, isn't it?
Super Alpha is a very good bittering hop.
The three later additions of Cascade will give you all the hop character you want in an APA. Personally, I love Cascade.
Ferment with US05 or liquid equivalent.
Where does the total grain weight of 4.54 kg come from?

Ahhh yeah I guess what I was trying to say was does it matter if you use a different bittering hop in a single hop APA?

And do the flavour/aroma hop amount look alight?

Looks fine to me, but it's really a two hop APA, isn't it?
Super Alpha is a very good bittering hop.
The three later additions of Cascade will give you all the hop character you want in an APA. Personally, I love Cascade.
Ferment with US05 or liquid equivalent.
Where does the total grain weight of 4.54 kg come from?

Thanks for that. The grain comes from....uh...not sure. But all I am thinking of going in is what is listed. Two cans of LME and come crystal steeped.

I think I've only put one or two recipes through BS that have actually added up the grain weight correctly. I wouldn't worry about it

I made a beautiful APA with Cascade but used a Coopers Pale Ale Kit with some grain, US-05 and BE2 + 500g LDME. It is drinking very nice after about 8 weeks in the bottle. For a 23 litre batch I only used 20g additions for flavour, flameout and dry hopping and the hop flavour is still a little in your face but I like it, depends on your taste preference I guess. The bitterness is spot on but I got mine from the kit and a 15g Cascade at 30 mins addition. I think the 100g of carapils really added to this brew as well. I also used 250g Pale Crystal and 100g Carared and it's my best brew to date. I reckon it would make a difference how you add the hop pellets, I use a hop sock in the boil and dry hopped in a small mesh bag tied at the top. My next brew will be an all extract American Brown Ale using Simcoe for bittering and Willamette for flavour and aroma. I have an American Amber done with all Amarillo that's still a bit green but the way it's shaping up it'll give the Pale Ale a run for it's money.
You might want to consider Simcoe as a bittering hop, I haven't tried it yet but it reads up well.
Cheers.

Amarillo, Super Alpha, Tomahawk, Chinook, etc... all fine bittering hops for APA's.

Easy decision, Simcoe.
My favourite American.

tdh

Yeah +1 to Simcoe as a bittering hop. I have done a few brews with it and Cascade + Amarillo as flavor and aroma additions.

They really complement each other very nicely :icon_drool2:

Cheers Coops :icon_cheers:

Ive got two fermenters of APA going at the moment with cascade and galaxy for bittering. Looking forward to it.
Cheers
Steve

Just tried a couple of beers that are primarily bittered and flavored with Chinook - can't say I'm a big fan. Cascade and/or Amarillo though, that's a different story... big, big fan...

sap.

I see two hop varieties and haven't had a drink...........yet :lol:

I can taste some bittering hop varieties, personally love Super Alpha as a bittering hop, beautiful when mixed with Amarillo (JS Golden Ale). Don't think there will ever be concensus on a bittering hop. Too many hop varieties, too many brewers :lol:

Screwy

Bit of a Magnum man myself.

Batz

I think the hopping regime looks spot on.

If you look at the chemistry of it (i.e. the volatility of the hydrocarbons, keytones and esters) ,it's very difficult to argue how any perceivable characters (other than the iso-alpha acids) remain after any extended boil. I know there are many other compounds in the hop cone like the other hard and soft resins and a few sulphur compounds that survive the boil but from the literature and studies I'm familiar with they don't contribute to flavour or aroma before around 30 minutes from cast.

Here is a link to a well written article. I haven't hear of the author but they know their stuff!

http://www.realbeer.com/hops/aroma.html

I noticed at Craftbrewer online shop "Topaz Hops - (Pellets 90gm) Topaz hop pellets. Australia - Crop '09 (AA 16.2%) NEW SEASON"

What's the best bittering hop?? These look pretty darn good!

Thanks for the replys. Give me a little bit more to think about. I will go with what I originally posted this weekend and see how it goes.

Thanks for the replys. Give me a little bit more to think about. I will go with what I originally posted this weekend and see how it goes.

My 2c

For a 'genuine' single hop APA try Chinook. High AA (at about 11% from memory) so good for bittering and I love the flavour & aroma it gives. Go easy on the late additions though - a little goes a long way.

Back