Singapore - Where To Drink

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curry

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

After an absence of a few years I am going to be travelling to Singapore at least every month and I am after suggestions of where to drink.

Last month I was only there for a night so I ended up in the new German Bar in Raffles City Shopping Centre called Brotzeit. It was your typical foreign German bar, but as I am a big fan of German Wheat's I couldn't resist. Didn't try the food as I couldn't bring myself to eat a knuckle in 30 degrees & 90% humidity.

Has anyone been to Brewerkz lately? It use to be a good lunch option I thought.

I have just read about the Archipelago Brewery Company, not having tried any of their beers I thought I may give Archipelago Craft Beer Hub a go next week.

I have also just found the Red Dot BrewHouse, looks quite flash but it is a bit further from downtown than the others.

I'll report back on what I find but I am keen to hear from anyone who has been recently.

Cheers

I hit Brewerkz in August of 2007 and it was fantastic! Expensive.. but hey It's alcohol in Singapore. Food was fantastic as well. I can't recommend it highly enough.

yeah, Brewerkz is beautiful. Good beers and good food.

:icon_cheers:

yeah, Brewerkz is beautiful. Good beers and good food.

:icon_cheers:

And...the trick is to find out when is happy hour, waaaay cheaper than paying the full price. I actually missed happy hour, but the guy gave me the beer at that price anyway.

If you need to get a quick fix then 711 sells Carlsberg Special Brew which is handy for stocking the hotel minibar.

Brewerkz also owns a micro in the new terminal at the Singapore Airport.

A beautiful sculpture:

DSC03435.JPG
DSC03439.JPG

Forget about beer, just go to Clark Quay and watch the show. Really good on the optic nerve :D

I was at Brewerkz Clark Quay a few weeks ago on my way to Europe, the price is heaps cheaper early in the arvo the price gose up as the night drags on. So get there by 3pm have a skin full before 6pm then sit back and take it easy, they had an Amber Ale that was about 7% few big ones of them should see you right, foods good too.

Cheers Monkale

So I get the impression that Brewerkz is still pretty good ;)

This topic reminds me of when me & a mate were in Singapore in 2007, he was dead keen on trying a "Singapore Sling" at Raffles (allegedly where it was invented). Two Slings, and two Tiger beers later, the bill came for about $85.00!

At an average of $20 a drink, I would suggest NOT going to Raffles for a session :)

This topic reminds me of when me & a mate were in Singapore in 2007, he was dead keen on trying a "Singapore Sling" at Raffles (allegedly where it was invented). Two Slings, and two Tiger beers later, the bill came for about $85.00!

At an average of $20 a drink, I would suggest NOT going to Raffles for a session :)

But the peanuts are free.

On the topic of Brewerkz - seriously - IMHO - the beers are good for singapore and when compared to the local swills - but I thought they were all pretty bland. Just my 2c.

RM

That Tiger beer is CRAP. Still the worst hangover I have ever had, lucky I had a ready supply of Entonox the next morning :D

I was over in Singapore September last year and did most of these. Despite the reputation for expensive alcohol, it is related to the product - wine is very expensive, spirits stupidly so, but beer is pretty cheap. You can get 2 500ml cans of super strength (10% or more) beer at every 7-11 for of the order of $10-$15, and often they have specials for less than that. In that context, yes, Brewerks is pretty expensive. The beer is quite ok, food pretty good and it gets pretty crowded, but certainly look for the early sessions (as noted in this thread). The one in T3 at Changi was a great way of getting rid of excess Singapore dollars on the way out of the country, but I notice a sign on their website saying it is closed now. I went to the one at Clark Quay as well for dinner, and certainly pretty good beer and a couple of guest taps as well.

Pumphouse was similar in price, although I was there during the middle of the day. I think, from memory, that the brewers are Aussies. Again, beer that was above the average in a city full of average commercial stuff, wouldn't describe it as the best microbrewery beer but certainly satisfied need for some good beer over there. I enjoyed their Bohemian and Wheat.

I also went to Paulaner Bruhaus, and it was both good and bad - good beer, but only really two or three locally brewed on tap, but they were exact clones of the standard Paulaner. They supply the Brotzeit I think from memory some of their tap beers - I got caught in an absolute downpour and had to shelter in the Brotzeit. There were people ordering food who were Germans I think, and they pretty much sent back their pork knuckles - it looked very disappointing fare, and I stuck to the bretzen. The one caveat I would put on the Paulaner joint is finding it - that took quite some doing, as the address doesn't really help, and it is quite a distance away from where you would expect to find it. It is in the general region of Millenia walk.

Don't knock cheap half litre bottles of Tiger with the great, cheap local food in the sweltering heat, though (the heat probably more like what was responsible for a hangover I would suggest...).

Thanks again for all the replies, hopefully this thread will help someone in the future doing a search on Singapore.

My standard swill drink in Singapore is Tsing Tao, doesn't hurt anywhere near as much as Tiger!

My standard swill drink in Singapore is Tsing Tao, doesn't hurt anywhere near as much as Tiger!
I was in Singapore March last year and my drink of choice was Tiger. Alcohol is quite expensive over there (even more so considering I had just left the Philippines) so I usually bought my beer from Seven Eleven and when I was out would drink my beer at food stalls, hawker centres etc. Most bars charge an arm and leg, and some will even take your kidneys.

I used to travel to Singapore a lot (few years ago now). I can vouch for Brewerks. Their stout was a little disappointing but the others were pretty good. Given that it was a few yaers ago it may have changed.

I think I tried the pumphouse on my last trip. It was pretty new at the time. Expensive, noisy and the house beers were not very good. Again, couple of years ago... just opened.. may be better now.

Cheers
Dave

In singapore a couple years back I couldnt help indulging a bit of Tiger, don't mind it at all really for a nice cold inoffensive beer on a hot-humid day.

Speaking of which, has anyone else been to the Tiger LIVE tour in Singapore? The funniest thing I had seen in ages. I was of the impression we would get a tour of a brewery, but instead it was a sort of walk through a warehouse where they had 3d displays and stuff of the origins of tiger, then a 3d cartoon movie of how beer is made. Not to spoil it, but the movie (from memory) involves Mr and Mrs Malt getting it on, with the help of some rapping "Hip-hops", with some special effects like the floor moving up and down, air blowing on you from above, a cascade of falling bubbles, the whole thing is a crack-up.

When we did it there was only my partner and I, and everytime something wierd happened, like a wall would slide away revealing another part of the "set" we would look back at our guide-guy who would give us an excited thumbs-up and indicate that we were supposed to move this or that direction. At the end there is just some souveneir shops and you get to pour a schooner. First they get you to touch the font, enthusiastically illustrating the fact that it is frosted, and boasting that this is the coldest Tiger you will get anywhere in Singapore. No real educational value, but I thought the whole thing was quite funny, but then praps I had already had a few...

I believe you get a free ticket to this (amongst other things) when you have a stopover in Singapore.

Anyone recomend drinking in Malayasia?

Hitting Kota Kinabalu on April 6th for 10 days then off to Kaula Lumpar for 4 days...

im expecting shitty asain lagers.

Back