Simpsons Aromatic Malt - Where To Use?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Fester

Old, Grumpy and PROUD of it!
Reaction score
Bretheren,

Not too long ago, I bought a kilo of Simpsons Aromatic Malt. I think it was on the whimsy of making a stout, that never got off the ground.

So, my question to my learned colleagues, is what would be the best way to use this malt? Are there any options other than the original idea of going for a stout?

Any advice appreciated.

As always, a pre-emptive thanks.

Fester.

[EDIT - Spulling]

I tried Aromatic as a substitute for Melanoidin which I found just didn't quite suit my application (mostly ESBs). I've heard Aromatic could be used as 100% base grist but I don't believe it and remain to be convinced, but up to 10% of grist is effective, however I can't stomach more than 5% Melanoidin in anything- for mine it just has a minor fault in part of the flavour profile (a sort of Ribena/ cordial edge which I just don't want).

I used Aromatic in ESBs, Mild and in a Munich Helles, basically it supplies a malt profile boost. It should adequately substitute for decoction, it does give a similar effect which is passable but again, I'm not quite convinced on that.

In a stout I guess it would probably be quite OK, I wouldn't hesitate to try it for a malt boost, where used in a dry stout recipe depending on the rate I guess it would sweeten to the point where it may no longer resemble a dry stout, low rates might be fine though.

My 2c... I could be completely off base though as I've never used Aromatic like that before! :icon_cheers:

Edit: Clarity.

Latest posts

Back