Simplest Cider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know a lot about cider but this is what I do know ... if it helps.

1- Can I definitely ferment the brew in my plastic coopers fermenter tub? (23L) Yes no problem. Good to ferment beer, wine, cider.
2- I can use "Woolworths" style canned or plastic bottle everyday apple juice to flavour the brew? Really? Yes, so long as there are no preservetives
3- Should I use the BE1 or BE2 to add some kick to the brew or just the sugar in the juice will be fine? Never done this so not sure. I find there is tons of sugars in the juice already
4- Yeast... It's seems to be 'wine yeast' that is the best one to use judging by many of the posts. Is this okay? Yes. Beer yeast is ok but wine yeast is better.
5- Do I need my Krausen Collar in the yeast adding segment of the brew? Ive never had much krausen with a cider.
6- Is two weeks okay for the initial fermentation? Then ensure consistent gravity is maintained. Two weeks would result in a very dry tasting cider in my opinion. Can ferment out really quickly.
7- Can I use my glass 700ml bottles the second fermentation? Or do I need 5l flagons? Can use any size bottle so long as its finished. I use pet bottle to be safe with cider.

On another note I have started using these. Great for little trial batches. Did a 1 litre bottle last week. Turned out ok. Put it in fridge to stop ferment after 3 days though, not 2 weeks.

http://www.oztops.com.au/

Thanks mate! Helpful info there! Will be getting some more advice from my local home brew shop. Hopefully I can get cracking on this!

Cheers

So... In order to get my head rapt around this I decided to post my questions.

1- Can I definitely ferment the brew in my plastic coopers fermenter tub? (23L) Anything you can ferment beer or wine in will work
2- I can use "Woolworths" style canned or plastic bottle everyday apple juice to flavour the brew? Really? Get the pasteurised juice off the shelf, not out of the chiller.
3- Should I use the BE1 or BE2 to add some kick to the brew or just the sugar in the juice will be fine? The juice itself has enough sugar for around 5%.
4- Yeast... It's seems to be 'wine yeast' that is the best one to use judging by many of the posts. Is this okay? Nearly all yeast will ferment cider to dryness because it is nearly all simple sugars. I prefer ale yeast. S-04
5- Do I need my Krausen Collar in the yeast adding segment of the brew? Not really, cider from supermarket juice normally does not produce much krausen.
6- Is two weeks okay for the initial fermentation? Then ensure consistent gravity is maintained.
Depends on ferment temp. I usually ferment at 16-18'c, because of the ale yeast, rack to a secondary after 14 days, adding Lactose if I want to sweeten. Then I get lazy and might leave it be for 2-4 weeks, or not.
7- Can I use my glass 700ml bottles the second fermentation? Or do I need 5l flagons? I secondary ferment in the racked FV and carb in the bottle. When I bottle in glass, I always fill 1 PET bottle as a carb indicator.
Have a look through the non beer section for my simple cider recipe

Had two goes at cider.

First one the test
2l aldi juice
3 granny smith apples juiced
2 pears juiced
Brigalow yeast (was in fridge)

Only bottled yesterday not bad going into the bottle I think it will be great in two weeks time. Definitely alcoholic. Wife said it is too strong and too much like wine. She likes sweet muscato. left it in the fridge as I was hoping it would clear a little. Not a very dry finish, so the pears may have added a little residual sweetness. It is about a month old now.

Second one
3 l Woolies apple juice
3 l water
2.55 l Gobourn pear juice.
US-05 yeast
Yeast nutrient
Starting Brix 8.0
Checked tonight. Brix 3.8 hydrometer 1.007. Tart start but good fruity aftertaste. Has potential to turn out very well. Not as overtly alcoholic. Will leave for another week before bottling. Will check for completed fermentation before bottling.

Hopefully wife will enjoy them otherwise I may have to drink them myself. Such a pity :p

Latest posts

Back