Simple Wheat Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattyh77

Reaction score
After a bit of advice. I have made up a simple wheat recipie as this will be my first time trying a wheat beer from AG.

Any advice please, want to get 25L into FV

3kg Wheat
2.5kg Pilsner
Was thinking 300g of Caramunich for a bit of colour
30g Tettnang at 60min
And some wheat yeast, whatever the LHBS has.

Mash for 60mins at 66, mash out at 78, boil for 60mins.

Wanted to keep it simple. Wil lbe my 4th AG, and first with wheat. Do you need rice hulls in this?

Recipe looks good.

Mash it at 63c for a dryer finish. The wheat malt will balance the mouthfeel with the correct 3.5volumes of carbonation.

The caramuncih for colour will be good.

Pitch the yeast packet directly into the wort, it will stress the yeast and throw phenolics into the beer flavour/aroma of the beer.

Rice hulls might be necessary if you have a taller/narrow lauter tun (say, a round drink esky/cooler or keggle). I have a rectangular esky with a copper manifold (prepared to Palmer's recommendations) and I have not yet had any lautering issues.
As Pratty said, 63°C is a good mash temp for a wheat, but in future you may want to utilise a multi-step mash profile, with an acid/hydration rest, protein rest and saccharification rest.
Also, are you aware of the need for 30% headspace above the wort for wheat beer? The ferment can become quite vigorous and throw a huge kräeusen. If your fermentor is smaller than 40 litres, you might be safe with an underpitch, but I can't guarantee that.
In my experience, stressing the yeast leads to more esters, rather than phenolics, which is probably what you want in a first weizen, until you become familiar with the appeal of balancing the phenolics.

Good luck and weizen on!

Thanks for the replies and tips. I'm using a Robobrew so will look at the multi step.
Will also mash at 63.

My best what was 70:30 wheat:pils with a touch of carasomething
Check out MJ's Bavarian Wit yeast if you can get it, ferment at ~17C for a week and package
be prepared for it to evaporate 'specially in summer

I reckon drop the cara-whatever. The wheat and pils malt will give you every thing you need.

Mash lowish (63-64) and if you can follow the 30 degree rule (i.e you pitch and fermentation temp should add up to 30 degrees). If you ferment at 18, pitch at 12. Has never let me down yet.

Tett is a good hop, but any of the german/czech hops are a good options (halletauer or saaz all work equally well).

Bet bit of advice I ever got for wheat beers was don't try and over complicate them. Keep em simple, pitch a good amount of healthy yeast and drink fresh.

JD

Latest posts

Back