Sight glass calibration

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bender_

Reaction score
G'day all. I'm looking to calibrate my sight glass for my HLT keggle by sticking some printed off numbers to mark the litrerage, this is the model here:

images (2).jpg

The glass is housed inside the partial steel tubing and I'd like to put the stickers directly on the glass itself if possible.

What I'd like to know is, am I able to do this without marking the glass, then emptying the water, then putting the sticker on the glass, or would I have to make all the markings at once as I add each litre then take it apart and add the stickers? I can't see a way of putting the stickers directly on the glass without taking it apart, or just putting the stickers on the steel housing.

Cheers

I use a liquid chalk pen for marking decal placements on painted panels, rubs straight off.
Could use it to mark the increments next to the glass, then pop the stickers on the glass.

Yeah I thought I'd have to go that way. Does the liquid chalk pen mark glass too?

I'm just starting out and bought a bunch of gear second hand off Gumtree from a bloke that started making a 3 tier system but didn't get to finish it so all the gear is basically new and unused.

You could just do the large intervals via direct measurement, i.e. 5 or 10 litres, and mark these with the pen. Then disassemble and do the stickers/decals for these.

Then just interpolate the smaller gradations in between with a ruler/tape measure.

One the liquid level is into the site glass, it should be very linear.

Do you guys know of an Australian company where I can get decals made?

I finally calibrated mine last weekend, and did a brew with them yesterday.

I just used a set of 40kg electronic scales off ebay (bought for less than $40) and water to calibrate the levels. Measured out in 5kg/litre increments, and then just used a ruler to mark the 1 litre intervals.

I do like having the 1 litre increments, very easy to read off and measure quite accurately.

I just used a sharpie on the metal housing of the sight glass. Very easy to clean off with a bit of metho as well, so I'd suggest starting with something like this and then using these marks to locate your stickers/decals if you go that way.

I finally calibrated mine last weekend, and did a brew with them yesterday.

I just used a set of 40kg electronic scales off ebay (bought for less than $40) and water to calibrate the levels. Measured out in 5kg/litre increments, and then just used a ruler to mark the 1 litre intervals.

I do like having the 1 litre increments, very easy to read off and measure quite accurately.

I just used a sharpie on the metal housing of the sight glass. Very easy to clean off with a bit of metho as well, so I'd suggest starting with something like this and then using these marks to locate your stickers/decals if you go that way.

Sorry I don't understand why you did the 5kg increments.

Ended up getting some vinyl decals from Brew Hardware in the US for about $8 including postage and used the liquid chalk pen as suggested to calibrate it tonight:

DSC_0062.JPG
DSC_0063.JPG

I did it in 5kg / 5 litre increments so I didn't have to weigh out 1 litre at a time and mark every point.

Each addition of 5 litres was weighed accurately, so I know these lines are solid. The intervals are a little less accurate as they were just interpolated between the 5 litre marks, but accurate enough for my purposes.

Your decals look quite good, better than my attempt to write small numbers on a curved surface with a sharpie :)

Back