Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my first write up on a brew, so hopefully my untrained taste buds serve me well :p

I'm quite happy to say this was a pretty successful clone.

Clone Attempt.jpg

Sorry for the crappy photography

Mine is on the right. As you can see mine is a little darker. The SN Pale Ale on the left is also clearer. Head on the SN is a shade whiter, but the head was creamier on mine and also had better retention and lacing.

My clone had a slightly bigger mouthfeel, I would probably say that the 250g of crystal had something to do with that. Also I think it made mine a bit darker in colour.

Mine had more of a malty taste but also had more hop flavour which balanced it out. The SN was less malty but also less hoppy.

The clone definitely had a more bitter after taste in the back of my mouth, I would say the magnum is the culprit for this.

They are both well balanced, I just think mine was slightly "bigger".

In all honesty I like mine better, and am quite proud of myself. This is my best brew yet by far.

If you wanted to closer replicate SN Pale, I would suggest less Crystal and also less Magnum hops. Like I said flavour wise its spot on, just needs to be toned down a level.

First review, and a happy one. I'm pretty stoked :beerbang:

I'll post my recipe if anyone is interested

Hi Calobes

What recipe did you go with in the end?

Congrats on the successful clone :)

I looked at a few recipes and took the advice on this thread and came up with this:

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 20.0
Total Grain (kg): 3.250
Total Hops (g): 110.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.059 (°P): 14.5
Final Gravity (FG): 1.015 (°P): 3.8
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.80 %
Colour (SRM): 9.9 (EBC): 19.4
Bitterness (IBU): 37.1 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
3.000 kg Dry Malt Extract - Light (92.31%)
0.250 kg Crystal 60 (7.69%)

Hop Bill
----------------
8.0 g Magnum Pellet (14.4% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.4 g/L)
18.0 g Perle Pellet (6.9% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil) (0.9 g/L)
28.0 g Cascade Pellet (5.6% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (1.4 g/L)
56.0 g Cascade Pellet (5.6% Alpha) @ Flameout (Boil) (2.8 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
1.4 g Whirlfloc Tablet @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 30 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with Safale US-05

Like I said earlier, if you want a closer replication of SNPA I would tone town the crystal and the magnum.

I'll be brewing this again and not changing the recipe at all.

I have Cascade at home but no Magnum, would Centennial go alright in it's place?

stakka82 said:
You're drinking it after shipping. I imagine fresh it's a different beast... the fresher ones I have had are definitely aromatic. I would bet my house it's dry hopped.
It's absolutely delicious out of the bright tank!

abe max said:
I have Cascade at home but no Magnum, would Centennial go alright in it's place?
Magnum is a neutral bittering hop. If you cant get it maybe try horizen or target? Its a pretty small amout so it shouldn't matter too much, maybe use more perle in its place to replace the IBUs. Do you use beer mate or anything?

Centennial marries well with cascade and will be fine in this kind of beer. Otherwise just use all cascade.

Porkchop said:
I brewed it with 500g of crystal and it is the most Caramel tasting beer I have ever tasted. Not bad but it's a bit of a desert beer.
Yep, I saw alot of recipes calling for that much crystal.
I used half that and it was still too much for a clone. Was a delicious beer, but more malty than SNPA

Just noticed that in my write up I stated mine is on the right... It's actually the one on the left.. Dickhead :p

Spiesy said:
You're kidding, right?

SNPA was/is not brewed with the main objective to get you drunk. It was brewed to be an awesome beer, which it is.

No doubt they could have made it cheaper, no doubt they could have made it more expensive - not really the point.
I agree with Spiesy- SNPA is a terrific beer- it's just "mainstream" because it was so good. It was a niche craft beer before a lot of people here were old enough to be drinking beer that's all! It's one of the great success stories of a carefully crafted uncompromising ale becoming very successful.
I also agree that it's way better in the states- I have great memories of consuming large quantities of it in a hot tub in the snow in wyoming a few years back. Yes, there were american girls in bikinis...

Latest posts

Back