Sierra Nevada Pale Ale with Northern Brewer Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newts

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just finished primary on my third extract brew. I've just taken a hydrometer reading and wanted some input if possible. It's been in the primary two weeks now and I've only just taken a hydrometer reading as I've been working away. The recipe used was:

3.1 kg DME

Steeped:
0.3 kg Light Crystal 60
0.15 kg Carapils
@ 66-70 degrees C for 30 mins

Hops:
19g 10.1%AA Northern Brewer @ 60 mins
11g 10.1%AA Northern Brewer @ 30 mins
24g 6.7%AA Cascade @ 15 mins
47g 6.7%AA Cascade @ 0 mins (not dry hopped - added before adding yeast)

US05 yeast pitched at 22 degrees C.

The kit and extract beer designer spreadsheet says it should have an OG 1.056 which was spot on.

The hydrometer reading I've taken gives a FG of 1.020 against an expected 1.012. This is my first beer above 1.045 OG - all of my beers seem to be slightly above the mark when estimating FG but this is significant. Does this sound like a stuck fermentation - I don't see why it would be. Nothing has changed from my usual routine. The only thing I'm unsure of is my Crystal which was purchased from Craftbrewer with description : Crystal Malt Pale (Thomas Fawcett).

Other than that can't see why the FG would be so high.

Any input appreciated.

Cheers,

Newts

What temp are you measuring final gravity at? It needs to be at 20C for an accurate reading if I recall correctly.
As temp increases the gravity appears to go down.

And?

Unless he's measuring gravity at 0 degrees, that doesn't answer his question.

OP - crystal grain plus all extract brew can finish high. Look up rousing stalled ferment tricks - I'd offer links but I'm posting on a phone and it's a nighmare

that is not an overly large amount of xtal...I would have expected a lower fg than 1020.

As manticle says give it a stir to rouse the yeast. In saying that I have had some beers finish high for no apparant reason...even after rousing.

One thing you may want to try is taking a sample from the top and the bottom and comparing them.

As for temp when measuring the correction factor is not that great considering that your measurments are all around the 20* mark.

Yeah, thanks guys. Temp would be 18 degrees which is very close to 20. That's using a STC1000.

I probably should have done what ducati said before even posting. I ended up drawing another sample and giving the hydrometer a swirl too get any bubbles out and it actually turned out to be 1014 FG which is close to the expected value. Smells fairly good too. Can't wait to give this one a go! Interested to see how it pours and what it tastes like.

Turned the temp down now. Will cold condition for 5 days in fermenter then into the keg :)

Cheers

Bit of a trick when doing gravity checks.

You will find that drawing samples from the tap will give a higher reading than at the top due to the fact the wort is more dense at the bottom

I thought there shouldn't be any stratification present in finished beer?

Well...there is...I have noticed it occasionaly. I think it may have something to do with the trub/yeast cake causing density issues..

I would start a thread on it......but you know what happens

Latest posts

Back