Show Us Your Camping Keg Setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koolkuna

Reaction score
Whether it's a full on keezer setup or as simple as an esky. What works or doesn't work and why. It's disappointing to having to buy inferior beer when the money could go towards something that enables us to drink homebrew [emoji481][emoji481][emoji481] This is my Home Keg Setup ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1484541400.175032.jpg

The super cheapskate method.

Cut the top out of an old 30L fermenter so the keg fits in. Leave the tap in to drain the water as the ice melts. Use a pluto gun and soda cartridges (with adapter of course) for pressure. Cheap. Works.

That's sensational labels, could also add a camping mat or sleeping bag around the fv to further insulate- would have those camping aswell!

I already have a 56L mash tun for an esky that's got about 2" thick walls, just went camping with it... I've used it open before but since we've had a few hotter days...

I got 5 foam boxes, cut the large walls away and glued the right angled tops together to make larger sheets. Glued in lots of 3 layers that fit inside 2 layers for the top side, cut a hole for the keg with about a 10mm clearance which I've lined with a soft foam layer for a nicer seal. There was a bit of steel exposed at the top so 3 more layers of foam around the outside.

15kg of ice, over a warm weekend keg was at 2 degrees for ~48hrs (by which stage it'd just blown), still would have had half the ice in it by the time we'd finished it.

Was going to take a 400g CO2 bottle but we moved it back and forth to BBQ areas, jetty, beach etc so the mini reg and bulb came in handy for not having to lug an extra piece of kit. 2 bulbs managed to push the whole thing.

17016827_10155849075199638_850885703366962615_o.jpg

i buy cheaper beer 4 camping / fishing and then i appreciate my HB - coffee - toilet a lot more when i get home :)

or i take a gallon of the other brewing......

i appreciate the effort you others put in but :lol:

The top esky isn't really a jockey box, just a cheapy to mount the shanks and some ice to keep those cold, 2 beer lines out the back into the very large esky via the drainage plug, used air con insulation on that. holds 3 kegs ice and gas.

dauIruy.jpg

I've got a caravan with one square foot of available space to fit a bar into. Can I do it, you bet I can, A keg takes up less than one sq ft, jeez with that amount of space leftover I can turn it into a pub!

Latest posts

Back