Show Me Your Double Batch Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henno

Beermologist
Reaction score
I'm in the process of going double batches. I have a mate that can make me a double batch kettle but he asked me today how an extended keg type vessel would go. Could you get two keg type vessels and cut out a cylinder of one and weld it into the other to make a tall keggle? I realise the thing would be high and long and the problem would be surface area for the volume would be small. Having said that I have a keg type vessel at the moment very similar to one made by mr toohey and it is shorter and squatter than most so extending that with another one would at least make it a bit rounder for it's height.

I am interested in seeing anybody's pics on how they have conquered the double batch problem. I think I can muddle through with just the keg and balance the HLT and MT with what I have at the moment but any pics of the whole lot on a larger scale so I can get some ideas for my welder mate would be appreciated.

Thanks Wally, I'd love to get my hands on one of those big boys but alas can't find one anywhere. Have you blown out your HLT and MT to match or just the kettle?

Randyrob thanks for nothing. One sentence narky little replies like that are the reason I hear a lot of people stay clear of this site these days. Spose it made you feel all knowledgeable though. Will DAFSFFS.

Randyrob thanks for nothing. One sentence narky little replies like that are the reason I hear a lot of people stay clear of this site these days. Spose it made you feel all knowledgeable though. Will DAFSFFS.

Heya Henno,

I would love to sit here all day and discuss welding stolen kegs with you but alas it's against the posting and moderating guidelines of ahb :D

Cheers Rob.

Heya Henno,

I would love to sit here all day and discuss welding stolen kegs with you but alas it's against the posting and moderating guidelines of ahb :D

Cheers Rob.

It is? I mustve missed that rule.. well not me, but everyone else on here :p
Well, in light of that, not talking about stolen kegs in particular, but i think your best bet would be if you had something roughly the same dimensions as a cub keg or wider still, to make it a little less tall and skinny. Id probably just go 100L robi tho...

Heya Henno,

Cheers Rob.

Who said anything about kegs being stolen? Thats an assumption you've made.

Honestly if you cant say something nice, then say nothing at all...........

ummmmm...... Have a nice day.

Hi everyone
Speaking of mash tuns I am going to make one out of an esky tommorrow I have a tap out of a small water bottle I will put in it. Any ideas on the false floor.

Cheers

Hey Brad,

1/2 inch copper tube with 8mm holes in it will work as well as anything you could buy.

cheers

Darren

Who said anything about kegs being stolen? Thats an assumption you've made.

Honestly if you cant say something nice, then say nothing at all...........

ummmmm...... Have a nice day.

+1

Tooheys style kegs does not mean tooheys keg just some thing that looks like it.

Just like saying "tits like my wifes" does not mean my wifes tits :)

Hi Wally,

When you drill the 8mm hole, apply pressure to the drill untill it just "pushes through". It gives a "countersunk" hole that does not block. Worst filter I ever used was a "flyscreen"/"easy hooker" type screen. Small holes (less than 8 mm in 1/2 inch copper will block with husk)

cheers

Darren

EDIT: Of course you would close the end of the 1/2 inch tube or you would have a 1/2 inch hole 8)

Could you get two keg type vessels and cut out a cylinder of one and weld it into the other to make a tall keggle?

Hey Henno,

if you have the two kegs and your mate is willing to TIG them up for you I'd run with it, really the height is not going to be that much of a drama,

interested to see a few pics when you're done, maybe i can even make the next brew day :icon_cheers:

Speaking of mash tuns I am going to make one out of an esky tommorrow I have a tap out of a small water bottle I will put in it. Any ideas on the false floor.

Cheers

Hey Brad,

have a look here how i made my manifold, there's a few pics etc..

MANIFOLD

cheers
Yard

All RR was pointing out was this.

http://www.allquip.com.au/home/index.cfm?f...amp;startrow=21

Touchy Touchy.

I use one of the old 80 liter kegs too I have a pre boil volume of 65 liters and it works tops.

50 liter HLT and 50 liter mash tun does the job

The pic is during rig construction years ago. Im on a different computer and dont have a recent shot but you get the picture.

If you cant find one...... try putting a wanted add in the local paper saying:

Wanted.
Old style 18 gallon keg.

You will be suprised how many people just have them lying around

cheers

the_rig.JPG

can you say robinox?

I can say ally and usually wind up in deeper shit than Rob. :lol:

Seriously, all the big bad scary ally things aside. You can probably go 80 litres for less than $150.

Also, I don't see anything "narky" about what Rob said. He's only posting a genuine (legal) alternative.

Warren -

Theres a huge scrap yard (CMR Metal) in Woonona that has about 100-150 of those old kegs. Stainless is like money in the bank at the moment - but a much larger interest rate. They are just sitting on them and watching the value rise...

Hi Wally,

When you drill the 8mm hole, apply pressure to the drill untill it just "pushes through". It gives a "countersunk" hole that does not block. Worst filter I ever used was a "flyscreen"/"easy hooker" type screen. Small holes (less than 8 mm in 1/2 inch copper will block with husk)

cheers

Darren

EDIT: Of course you would close the end of the 1/2 inch tube or you would have a 1/2 inch hole 8)

I'm confused, are you sure you don't mean 0.8mm??? Or do you mean get an 8mm bit and drill until it just starts breaking through the copper (thereby only leaving a small hole)?

My double-batch brewery? See my avatar!

No, seriously :D

Cheers - boingk

Hey Henno,

if you have the two kegs and your mate is willing to TIG them up for you I'd run with it, really the height is not going to be that much of a drama,

interested to see a few pics when you're done, maybe i can even make the next brew day :icon_cheers:

Hey mate,

We are in the process of tigging up a taller kettle. I just sent you a PM.

I can say ally and usually wind up in deeper shit than Rob. :lol:

Seriously, all the big bad scary ally things aside. You can probably go 80 litres for less than $150.

Also, I don't see anything "narky" about what Rob said. He's only posting a genuine (legal) alternative.

Warren -

:unsure: my 100L alu cost $110!!

Latest posts

Back