Show Me You Counter Pressure Bottle Fillers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexbrand

Reaction score
Hey there...

I've done some searches because I would like to renew or redo my counter pressure bottle filler. Actually, it's even less than a provisional arrangement. It works, but not fine enough. I don't want to have an (in parts) automated filler; not necessary. Also no heavy duty filler...
What I'm more interested in is the mecanical point of view when constructing it. I saw a former drill stand, e.g..

Any ideas? Suggestions? :)

Cheers,

Alex

EDIT: Tried to edit the topic...

Hey Alex,

I made a CP filler on the cheap. It doesn't have a stand, you just hold onto it.

Here's a link to a post I made about it some time ago.

I use all the more costly parts that you will see (picnic taps, JG fittings) in other parts of my kegging/brewing operation and the rest probably only cost about $5 or 6. Its only really assembled into the final CP filler when I need to bottle. I have since replaced the bit of vinyl tube on the outside of the elbow and picnic tap, with a piece of 10m OD beer line, which is shoved inside the fittings. It provides a more solid and robust connection. The 10m OD beer line is also what you could use as a direct replacement for the bit of stainless I am using... exactly the same OD.

Oh.. and where I said I was going to replace the threaded fittings... I tried, but for some reason the threaded fittings allow the 10m OD tube through with a loose enough for for the gas to still pass through, but the barbed fittings were "tight" so I had to revert back to the threaded ones.

Thirsty

I've got a really simple one planned and I bought the remaining parts i needed last week. I should be able to whack it together tonight or tomorrow. I'll post a photo.

Anyone experimented with medium term storage of bottles after counter-pressure filling? How were the signs of oxidation? Hop aroma/flavour loss?

regards,
Scott

This may be the drill stand u were thinking of. It is the working end of an "F" clamp welded onto a bit of iron. Works well as it gives you two hands with which to muck around turning the wrong valves off and on so you can get your inevitable beer bath. Picture_5.jpg

moin Alex,

here a pic of mine:

2706.JPG

but Im going to build a new one, a half-automated one with a pneumatic lift, similar to that Ive seen in Albany (got new ideas):

3053.JPG

That one Ive seen in action in "Brewing on Premisses" in Albany (Ale Works) where I spent a day "brewing with the experts", made me alot of new and good ideas.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

I made a CP filler on the cheap. It doesn't have a stand, you just hold onto it.

Here's a link to a post I made about it some time ago.

This one is similar to mine now. Looks very functional! ;) But it's not exactly that what I want to build. But thanks a lot, Thirsty!

This may be the drill stand u were thinking of. It is the working end of an "F" clamp welded onto a bit of iron. Works well as it gives you two hands with which to muck around turning the wrong valves off and on so you can get your inevitable beer bath.

Tony!

Thanks, this could help me a bit. At least it's better than mine now is. I'll keep it in mind! :)

[...] but Im going to build a new one, a half-automated one with a pneumatic lift, similar to that Ive seen in Albany (got new ideas):

That one Ive seen in action in "Brewing on Premisses" in Albany (Ale Works) where I spent a day "brewing with the experts", made me alot of new and good ideas.

Zwickel,

*BLING* *BLING*

This first one looks really nice. Something like this I was thinking of. But I would like to have a more comfortable lever. Whether for the bottle or the filler, don't know yet. the 2nd one is really great, but I don't want to spent so much time / money on an half automated one. This couldbe a toy for me is some years... ;)

Thanks so far, mates! Show me more CP fillers! :)

Alex

Perhaps something involving a second hand super automica style lever capper???

I have been imagining up designs for an eventual unit with facility to not onlt purge with C02, but pre-evacuate the bottle as well... a nice triple evacuate purge cycle is jst about as good as the pro-fillers, and I dont think it would actually be that hard to make.

I reckon zwickel is halfway there already

TB

Geeze Zwickel..............even I'm in bling envy now...THANKS for that......

And here's my effort:

cpfiller.jpg

It's a 1/2" stainless 3-way ball valve with reducers an JG fittings for the beer, gas and fill line. I would have preferred a 1/4" version to avoid the need for the reducers but I scored this on ebay for a good price.

Thanks for all the input, mates. I've ordered a three-way-valve last week. I hope it'll arrive here asap.... I want to build shiny new things...lol...

Prost,

Alex

howdy homebrewers,
today Ive finished my new toy, although its not yet Chrismas time ;)

You know, sometimes you wanna bring some bottled beer with you to friends, or youll go somewhere and youd like to have your own beer with you. For that reason Ive built a brand new half automated bottlefiller. My old one was not good enough anymore.

So here it comes, the new toy:

The case is built by aluminium profiles and perspex. So it will be easy to clean after use.
The heart of it is the pneumatic unit, that lifts the filler head and presses it to the bottles aperture.
The head is up
DSC03534.JPG

the head is down
DSC03535.JPG

the guts on the backside, top the 5/2 pneumatic valve, in the middle the beer valve and down the gas valve for CO2. On the bottom the power supply for the 24V solenoids
DSC03537.JPG

finally I mounted a lamp inside for a better view at the level rise
DSC03539.JPG

there are only two switches, one to move the head and the other one to prefill the bottle with CO2 and switch over to fill with beer.
DSC03543.JPG

a side view
DSC03545.JPG

on the left side behind are the intakes, from top:
the beer hose
the vent
CO2 inlet
compressed air inlet
Power

DSC03542.JPG

All I have to do is to put an empty bottle in, switch the upper switch to lower the head, switch the lower switch to the right to fill the bottle with CO2, wait 10 sec. then switch the same switch to the left for filling the bottle with beer, then set the switch into the middle to stop beer flow. Wait for another 10 sec to wind down the pressure. Switch the upper switch to lift the head. Cap the bottle.

I havent tested yet, but Im very confident it will work.

That looks unreal Zwickel love your work
Franko

it appears that some of us (zwickel) have tooo much time on our hands ...

very nice job indeed..

:eek: Damn near speechless, that is a nice bit of handy work! Provides some motivation...

howdy homebrewers,
today Ive finished my new toy, although its not yet Chrismas time ;)

You know, sometimes you wanna bring some bottled beer with you to friends, or youll go somewhere and youd like to have your own beer with you. For that reason Ive built a brand new half automated bottlefiller. My old one was not good enough anymore.

So here it comes, the new toy:

The case is built by aluminium profiles and perspex. So it will be easy to clean after use.
The heart of it is the pneumatic unit, that lifts the filler head and presses it to the bottles aperture.
The head is up
DSC03534.JPG

the head is down
DSC03535.JPG

the guts on the backside, top the 5/2 pneumatic valve, in the middle the beer valve and down the gas valve for CO2. On the bottom the power supply for the 24V solenoids
DSC03537.JPG

finally I mounted a lamp inside for a better view at the level rise
DSC03539.JPG

there are only two switches, one to move the head and the other one to prefill the bottle with CO2 and switch over to fill with beer.
DSC03543.JPG

a side view
DSC03545.JPG

on the left side behind are the intakes, from top:
the beer hose
the vent
CO2 inlet
compressed air inlet
Power

DSC03542.JPG

All I have to do is to put an empty bottle in, switch the upper switch to lower the head, switch the lower switch to the right to fill the bottle with CO2, wait 10 sec. then switch the same switch to the left for filling the bottle with beer, then set the switch into the middle to stop beer flow. Wait for another 10 sec to wind down the pressure. Switch the upper switch to lift the head. Cap the bottle.

I havent tested yet, but Im very confident it will work.

Mmmmmm Mmmm! Noice Zwickel, how have you restricted collar pressure on the bottle to prevent breakage.

Screwy

Mmmmmm Mmmm! Noice Zwickel, how have you restricted collar pressure on the bottle to prevent breakage.

Screwy
Screwy, Im using an air pressure regulator. My intension is, if I fill the bottles under the CO2 pressure of around 100KPa, so Id need only about 120 to 150 KPa air pressure to hold the head down closely.

Thats almost the same as to fill the bottles manually, you have to use only a little bit more pressure to hold the head down, than there is pressure is inside the bottle.

I have tested the bottles already until a pressure of 500KPa, have no worries about it.

:icon_cheers:

Screwy, Im using an air pressure regulator. My intension is, if I fill the bottles under the CO2 pressure of around 100KPa, so Id need only about 120 to 150 KPa air pressure to hold the head down closely.

Thats almost the same as to fill the bottles manually, you have to use only a little bit more pressure to hold the head down, than there is pressure is inside the bottle.

I have tested the bottles already until a pressure of 500KPa, have no worries about it.

:icon_cheers:

You do think of everything mate !

I dont think it will work.

I think you should send a few cases over to Aus just so we can check it for you ;)

Kabooby :lol:

Latest posts

Back