Should I Turn Off The Keg Fridge While Im Away?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6tri6ple6

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am going to be away for 5 days, Should i switch off the keg fridge as no one will be using it? The keg fridge is outside under the verandah. Ill turn off the gas, but im not sure about the power to the fridge. My yeast library lives in there as well, which i could transfer to the main fridge inside.
What do you guys do when you go away? Is it really worth it? Are there any issues with turning it off?

Cheers

Richard

I never switch off the keg fridge!

But... if you're concerned about power and you don't have any beer in there I don't see why not.

If you do have beer in there I would think that even if you're not concerned that your beer will change flavour you would use just as much power re-chilling your beer as you have saved by switching your fridge off.

I never switch off the keg fridge!

But... if you're concerned about power and you don't have any beer in there I don't see why not.

If you do have beer in there I would think that even if you're not concerned that your beer will change flavour you would use just as much power re-chilling your beer as you have saved by switching your fridge off.

yeah thats true. Probably take just as much to rechill it all.

and after the long trip home whats the 1st thing your going to need = beer :)

When i am away for an extended period i always shut down fridges etc. Gives the motors & units some time down and lets anything needed to defrost.

If you are turning it off, make sure the door / lid is slightly ajar so you get some air movement, or you might have a mould problem when you return.

Have you got a tempmate - maybe just set it to 12 or something, would do the job and won't take forever to cool it down again..

its only 5 days, if no one is opening the door, it shouldn't use much power...just leave it on, i say

I agree, 5 days leave it alone.

Even if it was 2 weeks I would only knock the thermostat up a couple of degrees and leave it running.

QldKev

Flush the taps out prior to leaving, 5 days with out use they're likely to be a bit sticky and hard to pull open on first use when you come back.

There are a lot of members on here who only drink on weekend so 5 days without use it standard and we all leave ours running.
5 weeks I might concider turning it off.

i last drank from my kegs over 12 months ago ( dont worry i have 3 fermenters full ) left the fridge going all that time with the nearly empty kegs in there

Thanx for all your replies. Yeah think I might leave it on. Not really worth it I guess. Plus, I can have an ice cold frothy when I walk in the door after the 8 hr road trip.
Cheers

Back