Should I Get A Mill?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have enough cash to buy everything you need up front, sure - get a mill. Remember that the cost of the mill is only part of the cost of owning and using a mill...

Otherwise, I reckon you can get better bang for your buck by putting the money elsewhere initially. As has been pointed out, you can get your grain supplier to crush your grain for you. But, you cannot get them to mash it for you, or boil it for you (ignoring the fresh wort kits), nor can you borrow their fermentation fridge.

I am happy that I have the ability to mill my own grain and I am growing my stocks on hand, but if you're about to start grain brewing, I reckon it is a lower priority purchase than some of the other bits of kit required. I'd be buying a refractometer (for example) before a grain mill based on the improvements it can make to your beer.

If you have enough cash to buy everything you need up front, sure - get a mill. Remember that the cost of the mill is only part of the cost of owning and using a mill...

Otherwise, I reckon you can get better bang for your buck by putting the money elsewhere initially. As has been pointed out, you can get your grain supplier to crush your grain for you. But, you cannot get them to mash it for you, or boil it for you (ignoring the fresh wort kits), nor can you borrow their fermentation fridge.

I am happy that I have the ability to mill my own grain and I am growing my stocks on hand, but if you're about to start grain brewing, I reckon it is a lower priority purchase than some of the other bits of kit required. I'd be buying a refractometer (for example) before a grain mill based on the improvements it can make to your beer.

+1
Get your rig setup and working properly first.

But...the mill is actually kinda cheap compared to a lot of other stuff. A SS pot alone would be hundreds, add on top of that the burner and gas bottle, and it's something I will not be able to afford for a while. For the time being I can just use my set of saucepans and stock pots to do the boil on the stove.

A fridge would also be expensive.

A refractometer might be a good idea, but I'd probably enjoy the use of the grain mill more than I would the refractometer, and the refractometer is certainly something that is not entirely necessary for brewing.

I'm still thinking about all this stuff and it will be a while before I get the mill, but I think it will be one of the first things I get other than the stuff that I can't do without.

But...the mill is actually kinda cheap compared to a lot of other stuff. A SS pot alone would be hundreds, add on top of that the burner and gas bottle, and it's something I will not be able to afford for a while. For the time being I can just use my set of saucepans and stock pots to do the boil on the stove.

A refractometer might be a good idea, but I'd probably enjoy the use of the grain mill more than I would the refractometer, and the refractometer is certainly something that is not entirely necessary for brewing.

I'm still thinking about all this stuff and it will be a while before I get the mill, but I think it will be one of the first things I get other than the stuff that I can't do without.

It's your call but an ally pot plus a burner will cost about the same as a mill and make life a whole lot easier than mucking about with stockpots and saucepans ( I know, I've done it). The temperature control you get from a fridge that you can pickup off the nature strip or buy cheaply on eBay will go a lot further to improving the quality of your beer than milling your own grain. Refractometers on the Net are only $30 or so.

I'm with Rob and Spills,

Mills are great, I have one. But on the list of priorities, they are way down there. They do something that your homebrew shop (if you use G&G) will do for you for free. All the economic arguments kind of pale against free.

To save money using the mill you will have to participate in a "bulk buy" of grain, they come about perhaps once or twice a year if someone in a particular state can be arsed organising one. Otherwise, you can use the grain book at G&G to buy your grain at their "bulk" prices, and they will store it for you, they will rotate through it faster than you will so its fresher; and more on topic, crush it for FREE when you decide you want some. If you don't participate in a bulk buy, then a mill saves you absolutely nothing.

For mine, the money a mill costs would give you a $50 ebay fridge and a fridgemate temp controller + plus a refractometer that you will love (and you will probably use 5+ times on every beer you make) and the improvement that temp control will make to your beer, is so stark that a mill doesn't even make it onto the same page of the "bang for buck" equations.

And if you haven't even got a full sized brewing pot - theres things on the priorities list even higher than temp control....

Things I would (and mostly did) buy before a mill because they can make you beer and your brewing process easier and better

Brew pot - aluminium - 65L or so
Burner for said pot
Temperature control for fermentation (fridge etc)
Refractometer
pH meter
Draft system
Filter

Like I said, mills are great, I have one - but until your brew shed is filled with almost every other brewing gadget you could name. There are better things to spend your money on. Then get a mill.

Thirsty

Thirsty Boy has made some excellent points about buying a mill. One other item I would place high on his list is a decent thermometer. This is a vital bit of kit for ag brewing. You want one that is accurate to 1 deg. Many digital thermometers will read to 0.01 degree, but their accuracy may be only +/-2 degrees at the range you want.

Yeah, I will be buying a decent thermometer.

Just when I'd been convinced that I should just go out and get a mill, everyone suddenly tells me I should get everything else first. Haha.

What does a mill cost?

There's the cost of the mill itself.
Then a stand, hopper, cowling, etc.
A motor or a handle. If you've got a drill, then perhaps you will save some money, but chances are your drill will now die quicker.
A bucket to collect the grain in once crushed.
Some decent scales... If you're buying your grain by the sack, you will have to measure it into smaller quantities. Some people like to use cups and buckets and handfulls, but I like to measure and a set of digital scales is what's required in my book.

So, on top of what you pay for the mill, you've probably just dropped another couple of hundred dollars if you like your stuff to glint in the midday sun.

Or, get it done for free and spend the money you've saved on any of the other things identified above, or bourbon...

I'm in the get a mill camp

But if it's gonna stop you (budget wise) from making the beer then it can wait

There must be someone in your area who will loan you a mill to use - or you can get grain from a LHBS and get them to crush it

Cheers

ballzac,

My opinion is that a mill is extremely handy and personally I love the convenience of having one.

However its not something you have to have.

If you're in this for the long haul, and you say you are, then I think setting up properly with a good size pot (SS or ally) and a burner is more important, and covenient, than a mill at this point in time.

And regarding a refractometer, - Before I bought one I wasn't sure it was something I really needed. Its now something that I would struggle without.

My opinion only - Your decision.

Scott

I just recently bought myself a monster mill (as part of the bulk buy) and a couple days ago bought a drill to motorise it. The hopper cost me nothing as my dad was very kind as to build one for me with wood he had lying around. However with that said, I'm on my 48th batch and I *think* my 30th AG. Making AG beer is awesome, but first and foremost you need to get your rig up and running before you start getting into milling and whatnot. It took me about three batches before I got a method down pat, and even then it was kinda dodgy and needed fixing up (after a few burns from very hot water...).

I always love going to experiment with everything, but it's always best to add these things one at a time. I bought a refractometer while I was still doing partials, because they are a really important piece of kit- as has been mentioned before, you would use it several times during a batch. For the boils I bought a 100L pot because I *knew* that I would expand my batches (and soon enough I did, they are all 44L now).

For the time being, hold off on getting the mill. The G&G thing sounds great, I wish that I wasn't being charged for crushing by me LHBS, and the book idea sounds great. Once you've done about ten batches and you think that expanding your experience of brewing would be benefited by getting a mill, then go for it.

Just received my 3D Crankandstein from the USA, landed to my door for $330. Including 1/2' drive shaft and stainless steel rollers.

Mill took only 9 days from ordering, I have not given it a run yet as I am making a hopper and base for it. Bargain at the price compared to buying it in Sunny Australia.

And I just wonted one!!!
Regards Blue.

Just received my 3D Crankandstein from the USA, landed to my door for $330. Including 1/2' drive shaft and stainless steel rollers.

Mill took only 9 days from ordering, I have not given it a run yet as I am making a hopper and base for it. Bargain at the price compared to buying it in Sunny Australia.

And I just wonted one!!!
Regards Blue.
Dunno about that price in Oz, though...recent purchase here.

Price including lexan hopper: Price- $400 or best nearest offer.

Custom job, too. Hand-made.

I didn't realise that I wanted a mill until I saw this unit.

I'm beginning to brew partial mash beer, and certainly do not own a mill. I have some whole grain that I will be using for a batch, and was planning on crushing this with a rolling pin inside a plastic bag. While this may not be the most efficient method, I will still be able to control the extent of the crush...

I'm beginning to brew partial mash beer, and certainly do not own a mill. I have some whole grain that I will be using for a batch, and was planning on crushing this with a rolling pin inside a plastic bag. While this may not be the most efficient method, I will still be able to control the extent of the crush...
that sounds easier than it is.you're likely to just end up with a shreaded plastic bag.

that sounds easier than it is.you're likely to just end up with a shreaded plastic bag.

I agree. Not as easy or effective as it sounds. Get it crushed for you.

Regards

Graeme

Yep, I've done that too. Unless you're planning on doing 100g or less, in which case you can do it in a mortar, you will not have a good time.

On the topic of the mill, I still want to get one, but it's kind of going to the back of the list of things that I will get, as I have been thinking about what items will really make my life easier. The next thing I am getting will probably be an aluminium boil kettle. I don't mind using little stock pots for an extract boil, but the boil is much longer with ag, and it could get quite annoying not having a large pot. I will try to find a wide, shallow, 80 litre pot, so that I can hopefully fit it over at least two (hopefully four) burners on my stove untill I invest in a burner or an element. The other option is possibly using my HLT also as a boiler, but I'm not sure if it's big enough. It will certainly be big enough for mash water and then the sparge water can heat while the mashing is happenning, but not sure it could fit the boil. I usually do at least ten gallons or so. Anyway, sorry for going of topic, but seeing as that is one of the main things at the moment that will put back the purchase of a mill, I guess it isn't really off-topic.

Yep, I've done that too. Unless you're planning on doing 100g or less, in which case you can do it in a mortar, you will not have a good time.

On the topic of the mill, I still want to get one, but it's kind of going to the back of the list of things that I will get, as I have been thinking about what items will really make my life easier. The next thing I am getting will probably be an aluminium boil kettle. I don't mind using little stock pots for an extract boil, but the boil is much longer with ag, and it could get quite annoying not having a large pot. I will try to find a wide, shallow, 80 litre pot, so that I can hopefully fit it over at least two (hopefully four) burners on my stove untill I invest in a burner or an element. The other option is possibly using my HLT also as a boiler, but I'm not sure if it's big enough. It will certainly be big enough for mash water and then the sparge water can heat while the mashing is happenning, but not sure it could fit the boil. I usually do at least ten gallons or so. Anyway, sorry for going of topic, but seeing as that is one of the main things at the moment that will put back the purchase of a mill, I guess it isn't really off-topic.

Stovetop boilers:

I did one boil in my big boiler on the stove, positioning it so that I could use two or three burners. Before the boil was finished, I had finance approval to purchase an alternative heat source.

Domestic stoves are not intended for big boilers like we're talking about. My issue was that the heat was getting reflected from underneath the boiler to the surrounding bench. The granite got too hot to touch. Laminates would have melted and scorched and my brewing and breeding prospects would have been severely limited.

Crushing small amounts of grain:

I used to use my stick mixer - you can buy them at the supermarket for $20 and they can ruin all sorts of things. They work fine if you are happy with a fine 'crush' and it beats beating grain hands down. I think you're better off getting your supplier to crush it for you and storing it in an airtight container (than beating it). Alternatively, make friends with someone who owns a mill?

Hey ballzac,

I'm with Thirsty, Spills, & others in suggesting you get many other things first, before the mill.
Don't get me wrong - I have a Monster MM-2, and it's fantastic, but the time and financial cost in setting it up (mill + drill + hopper) was not insignificant.

Before this, I went a few years getting the grain from G&G (crushed) a few days in advance of brew-day. Their crush is excellent, and consistent, and I repeatedly got 75% efficiency, which is about middle of the road. During this time, I did many AG brews, progressively learning a lot, making many mistakes, and spending my pennies on the things that you'll soon find are really necessary:
* Large boiler
* Large pot or Urn for HLT
* Thermometers for HLT and Mash tun
* Fermentation temperature control (fridge off ebay + fridgemate)
* Refractometer
* Accurate stick thermometer
* pH meter (less important)
* March pump (luxury)
* Kegging setup (not essential, but immensly rewarding!)

Ultimately, you will end up buying a mill (I never thought I would, but it happened!), but it is certainly a long way down the wish-list, and something to look forward to once you've got an AG rig that you're happy with.
Hutch.

Domestic stoves are not intended for big boilers like we're talking about. My issue was that the heat was getting reflected from underneath the boiler to the surrounding bench. The granite got too hot to touch. Laminates would have melted and scorched and my brewing and breeding prospects would have been severely limited.

I boil my 23l pot on the stove and I reckon that would be the limit. A 30l pot would hardly fit and would take forever to boil ... I think.
If I were spending hundreds of $$ on brewing the first thing would be a big kettle and a burner.
And then I'd want a new mash tun.
And then I'd prolly be looking at a mill.

Back