Short fermentation -help please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobby brewer

Reaction score
Hi,
I put down the following kit brew last Saturday afternoon and I think it has stopped fermenting after 2 days?

Coopers English bitter extract can
Coopers brew enhancer no.3 (1kg)
Safale s04 yeast
20gms Goldings hop pellets on flame for 15mins
20gms Goldings hop pellets off flame
21 litres filtered water
Yeast pitched at 25 deg C

My fermenter is not airtight and doesnt have any air lock but I'm quite sure it has stopped fermenting.
Ive brewed kits many times before but this is my first time using Brew enhancer no. 3.

Is it possible that all the sugars have already fermented out.?

Ive still got the coopers yeast should I throw that in to see if it restarts fermenting?

Personally, I wouldn't add anymore yeast. I would leave it a few days and check the gravity again

Just went and had a look at what is in BE3
Coopers Brew Enhancer 3 50% Light Dry Malt, 30% Dextrose, 20% Maltodextrin (500g/300g/200g).
That with your kit and you aren't too far from finished, perhaps another couple of points but that Maltodextrin is largely unfermentable.
SO-4 is a ripper yeast (I like it a lot more than US-05) and if the fridge is set at 20oC odds on the inside of the brew is a couple of degrees warmer (heat generated from fermentation) so a fairly warm ferment, as S.E. said its probably pretty much done.
One of the good things about S-04 is that it drops fast and very clear, so if its starting to clear its all good.
Mark

How long would it take to drop from 25 deg the yeast was pitched at to the 20 deg.

I hadn’t spotted the 25c pitch.

If the fridge was set to 20c and yeast pitched at 25c the wort is unlikely to have dropped to 20c while it was fermenting if it started and finished as quickly as it did.

Probably only dropped and fermented at around 22c-23c

Edit: Thinking about it even 22c-23c may be a bit of a low estimate.

Last edited:
I brewed that can once, I checked my brew log and I used 500g dlme and 250ml of maple syrup and us05. Fermented for 5 days at 18°c then changed setpoint to 20°c for 10 days then dry hops and cold crash for 4 days. Finished at 1.010.

I have only used s-04 once recently and reckon that it is great. I think that your brew is close to finishing and should be aloud to rest for a few more days

personally I'd leave it another few days for sure . 1015 on that kind of brew would make me a little nervous without leaving it a good while to be sure

Latest posts

Back