Shopping List

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbo5253

Reaction score
Hey all,

Have been brewing kits for a few years now with the odd hop addition or grumpys boil.

Looking at doing more kits and bits and was going to buy the following from CraftBrewer to get me going.
I mainly brew Pale Ale but always happy to try something new. Below is my list of what I am looking at getting, what other hops are a good base and any other specialty grains? Looking to do kits and bits with steeping the grain.

Cheers

Robbo

CraftBrewer American Ale (Twin Pack 2 x 12gm)
(1 items)
Cascade Hops (pellets 90 gms)
(1 items)
Malt Extract - Light - Dried (1kg)
(2 items)
Caramalt Malt (Barett Burston)
(0.5 Kgs X 1 items)
Chocolate Malt (Bairds)
(0.5 Kgs X 1 items)
Crystal Malt Medium (Bairds)
(0.5 Kgs X 1 items)

If your mainly into Pales then have a crack at Amarillo or Chinook, I reckon they are awesome hops

+1 with the Amarillo and Chinook.
Just add Nelson Sauvin to the mix.
If you made the same recipe pale with a late addition of a different one of these each time, that would be awesome.

Half a kilo of chocolate in that...? ...it isn't going to be pale!

Nelson Sauvin, you might find interesting, or BSaaz.
More traditionally, i like First Gold in a pale...

Cheers for the quick replys people, it is for different recipes, also looking at doing a dark ale or porter or two...
Here are a few recipes I have found that I am looking at using:

Cheers

Robbo

Coopers Pale Ale goo
1kg LDME
100g Med Crystal
25g Amarillo at flameout
Safale Yeast

24 litre English Brown Ale
Coopers Dark Ale
1kg dried wheat malt
Nottingham yeast
1kg sugar
25g Fuggles

2kg LDME
0.5kg Dextrose
0.2kg caramalt & 0.2kg carapils steeped @ 65 degrees
25g of any hops for 60 min
25g of any hops for 5 min (then chuck in fermenter)
Safale.

Coopers Pale can
Coopers Light extract can
30gm Cascade
US05 american ale yeast

Coopers Pale Ale
Morgans Pale LME
100g Crystal steeped.
roughly 50-60g amarillo, divided up into 30min steep, dry hopped, and also dry hopped again 4 days later.
US-56

Coopers Pale Ale can 1.7kg
Morgans Extra Pale Liquid Malt Extract 1.5 kg
Pride of ringwood pellets 24g
Safale S-04 or Safale US-05

if your at all interested attached is a 'shopping list' i did ages ago. I got 10-12 brews out of it. I could even post the recipes for you (i'd have to check at home which ones they were). its a mixed bag or kits and bits and all extract + specialty.

View attachment G_G_order.doc
I know I got a scottish heavy, an imperial stout, a couple pales, a porter, a belgian or 2, a becks clone, JSGA clone, LSPA clone and others.

Many of the New Zealand hops are wonderful in ales and due to quarantine laws they are available as whole hop flowers, not just pellets (we can't get European or USA flowers here). You can really spice up a kit brew by making a pot of hop tea with 20g or so of hop flowers and strain it into the brew after it's been fermenting for a few days.

Great hops to try in flower form are NZ cascade, BSaaz, Green Bullet - and NZ Goldings for UK style ales

Thanks for that CM2, looks rather helpful, if you have some of the recipes and could post them up, that would be great. Just working out a shopping list at the moment, any other recipes that anyone recommends? Or good ingredients to use?
Looking at this recipe, should I just use dex for the 1kg of Sugar? and could I swap the Fuggles for POR Amarillo or Cascade?

Cheers

Robbo

Coopers Dark Ale
1kg dried wheat malt
Nottingham yeast
1kg sugar
25g Fuggles

Why not steer away from sugar entirely for now, and in ppllace, add a 1/2 kg LDME, plus 1/2 kg dextrose. You'll appreciate that extra flavour, and it's only ading about five bucks more to the cost of your brew.

Swapping Fuggles for Amarillo & Cascade will give you an entirely different taste if youre planning to use it later in the boil. IMO, a better one, but that's personal preference.

Thanks for that CM2, looks rather helpful, if you have some of the recipes and could post them up, that would be great. Just working out a shopping list at the moment, any other recipes that anyone recommends? Or good ingredients to use?
Looking at this recipe, should I just use dex for the 1kg of Sugar? and could I swap the Fuggles for POR Amarillo or Cascade?

Cheers

Robbo

Coopers Dark Ale
1kg dried wheat malt
Nottingham yeast
1kg sugar
25g Fuggles

Swap the 1kg sugar out for LDME (Light Dried Malt Extract). I would only use 0.5kg, as you already have 1kg dried wheat malt, but 1kg would not hurt. As an English Ale, being malt driven would be ok.

For the hop addition I would swap the fuggles for EKG (East Kent Goldings). I would also boil all the malt extract for 10-20mins with the hops in it. This will just change it to be more flavour than only auroma.

QldKev

Latest posts

Back