Shepherd Neame Beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikem108

Reaction score
:) Liquor on Parade has a wide range of Shepherd Neame beers.
http://www.shepherd-neame.co.uk/

The only bummer is they are in clear bottles and out on display. It would be so much better if they just kept one bottle out and the rest in the dark confines of their original packaging :angry:

Paying $6.50 for lightstruck beer is just not right.

Yep,

Real shame Mike. It's of variable quality I've had the Porter when it's been in top nick and it's really nice. OTOH when lightstruck it's a real shocker. <_<

Spitfire is a top drop too. IIRC it's also bottle conditioned I've even heard of some brewers scavenging the yeast with good results. :beerbang:

Warren -

i think it's the 1698 that's bottle conditioned - think the rest are pasteurised.

when they're fresh shepherd neame beers have some of the best goldings flavour around - i remember liking em on cask when i was in the UK a few years back.

Must be a new container in the country, get them while fresh. I had one last night from the International Beer Shop, The Whitstable Bay Organic Ale. Superb, dry yet malty, lovely hop flavour and aroma.

If you want a bit of a laugh, have a look at the Shepherd Neame Spitfire Ale site. Some of the posters are so subtle. I bought a few of them back from the brewing show in Munich where they were on display in the UK Brewing Indutry stand - not very PC but funny.

www.spitfireale.co.uk/index.htm

Wes

:lol: :lol:
Warren -

STUPIDBOY.jpg

neonmeate said:
i think it's the 1698 that's bottle conditioned - think the rest are pasteurised.
[post="102318"][/post]​

Nup NM. Spitfire was most definitely bottled conditioned last time I had it. Would have been 3 years ago. Not sure now YMMV.

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
neonmeate said:
[post="102318"][/post]​

Nup NM. Spitfire was most definitely bottled conditioned last time I had it. Would have been 3 years ago. Not sure now YMMV.

Warren -
[post="102354"][/post]​

sorry, you're right. some googling reveals it seems to have come out both pasteurised and bottle conditioned over the years.
funny, you don't see a lot of british ales bottle conditioned under 5%.

Oddly enough you're right in a way too NM.

Strange thing is you actually see a lot of bottled Brit. Ales that aren't bottle-conditioned per-se but seem to have some form of murky lees at the bottom. :ph34r:

Think back to such dubious examples as "Old Fart" from Merrimans etc. It's like a lot of the body just dropped out of them to the bottom of the bottle. :eek:

Warren -

why anyone would want to import let alone drink sheepshit and scream beers is beyond me :blink: , I cannot think of any one of their brews that i could reccomend to anyone who can call themselves a beer afficionado they are all as weak as piss and totally lacking in taste.

steve the pom said:
why anyone would want to import let alone drink sheepshit and scream beers is beyond me
[post="102410"][/post]​

OK Steve you've upped the ante. As an expat Pom we'll heed your advice to a degree. :blink: Give us all a few tips on what you'd suggest we should try in your own well-rounded opinion?

Look forward to enlightenment. :beerbang:

Warren -

OOOPS seems like i might have opened a can of worms here , but will try to give a considered opinion to put things straight! well here goes , if you want something that has good flavour colour and strength you can't beat a good pint of Ruddles county a good old fashioned british country ale also another one to try that has all the flavour of the hops is Theakstons old peculiar now I dont know if these brews are available here in oz but if you can find them i would highly reccomend them! :beer:

steve the pom said:
OOOPS seems like i might have opened a can of worms here , but will try to give a considered opinion to put things straight! well here goes , if you want something that has good flavour colour and strength you can't beat a good pint of Ruddles county a good old fashioned british country ale also another one to try that has all the flavour of the hops is Theakstons old peculiar now I dont know if these brews are available here in oz but if you can find them i would highly reccomend them! :beer:
[post="102547"][/post]​

both available here - IMHO Ruddles is the perfect example of an english bitter :chug:

cheers Ross...

Seeing as you are both expat POM's I guess we gotta trust ya.

I tried a spitfire and a bishops finger about 4 years ago,and Quite liked the Bishops finger( :blink: no pun intended LOL), in a non proctological way.

Latest posts

Back