SG 1018 after 7 days fermenting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAlves

Reaction score
Hi homebrewers

I´m a litle bit worried with the SG(1018) of my beer after 7 days fermenting, however was my first reading. Airlock dont show to much activity, like a booble per minute. Started with an OG 1044.
There is cold at this moment in Portugal, and the fermenter bucket thermometer shows beetween 16 and 18 degrees celsius. All fermentation were processed around 18ºc room temperature.
I made a Australian Pale Ale from Coopers with 1 can of 1,7Kg, and added 6oogr of dry pale malt extract, 400gr dextrose and 250gr maltodrextine. As our online shops didn´t have EB2, i bought the ingridients separately, and change a litle bit the formula, as i wanted a bit more body and abv.

So, i´m having a stuck fermentation?

I just see 2 factors, temperature low wich can lead yeast to go dormant or the maltodextrine adition as a no fermentable ingridient. Underpitched i think is not the problema as i put the packet of Coopers yeast of the kit.

I tasted, and was a litle bit "green" and bitter, as well is hazy/cloudy (Coppers yeast are medium attenuation and floculation?)

Should i transfer for a secondary?

Regards
DAlves :huh:

I don't think its stuck, i leave my beers for 2 weeks in the primary before i rack to secondary. What you are seeing in the airlock is normal.

Consider giving it a good swirl (no need to take the lid off) then making sure it js at the right temp then leave for another week and test again. A lot of people on here leave for an extra week to let things finish off/settle/let the yeast clean up after itself. I would imagine it should finish more near the 1.010 mark with those ingredients

Getting down to 16 degrees is a bit low for the yeast you are using. Consider getting a heat belt and temp controller to keep it above 18 degrees at a minimum. Late in the ferment it helps to raise the temp a bit more to help the yeast to clean up after themselves. It is not unusual to have a long ferment at lower temperatures so don't worry too much, my ales are a two week event at 18 degrees.

Hi

Thank´s for your helpfull comments

This beer was brewed in 14 Dec and after my first mesurement on 21 Dec (1018) which drop for 1016 next day, is stabilized since then (Temperature still 16º). Sunday will make 2 weeks in primary fermenter. However still a bit cloudy, but taste is fine. To get warming equipment, for exemple heat belt by internet takes some more days, temperature still very low in Portugal and i dont live any heater on, in home when working during day, because its impossible control temperature on the range that we want.

Can beer improve more in clarity as result of getting warmer, if already pass 2 weeks since brewed? Do you think it´s better to stay another week in primary fermenter, before bottling?

Thank´s in advance

I'd rouse it as others have suggested, but get the temp up to 19 or 20 first. The yeast that comes with Cooper kits is a good warm weather yeast. If you don't buy a belt you could use a combination of blankets and hot water bottles or whatever your ingenuity comes up with. Be careful that it doesn't overheat if fermentation restarts, though that is unlikely since the sp gr is already pretty low, and people have good luck with that yeast up to 22-23.

In future in winter either get temperature control or use different yeasts. Nottingham is my standby ale yeast for temps down to 12 and 13, but it does tend to drop if the temp falls fast; I have temp control and don't worry about that. US-05 is okay at the temps you're dealing with and does not drop too quickly. German ale yeasts such as Safale's K-97 generally ferment faiirly low and some stays in susoension for many days. They also ferment quite dry.

Clarity can improved by "Cold Crashing" your beer. The idea is to drop the temp down after the fermentation is complete to about 2 degrees for a few days or more. The process will drop most solids and yeast out of suspension and you will end up with a clearer beer, yum.
For your next brew I would recommend getting a heat belt though.

Latest posts

Back