Selling Your Favourite Brew To Mates Etc. How To Do?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I already make, sell and fly kites. Thanks for your advice though. (Buy the way, if you want to buy one of my, "hand crafted" high performance stunt kites drop me a PM)

Donation box sounds like the go.

Thanks guys.

Can I please have one of your kites, preferably a free fall, crash and burn type. I reckon you'd have a couple on the shelf, near where you brew. :super:

You know it's illegal so why ask the question? If you reckon your beer is so good you just want to flog it off to all and sundry donate it to a good cause, that way you can feel good about brewing great beer and helping out those less fortunate than yourself :)

I've sold my mate a couple of non-fermented wort kits before which is completely OK. He just covers the cost of my ingredients but dunno bout selling the full finished product...the answer is kinda obvious really.

You don't happen to be an ATO agent trying to entrap some potential bootleggers? :ph34r:

I dont know about anyone else but does anyone else have mates that are willing to buy their Hb off them. I know I dont.

Going back to the point. no there is no way to sell HB to your mates witout it being illeagal. silly question. unless you go down the legitimate route as suggested by Post Modern.

What you and your mates choose to do in the privacy of your own lives is up to you, but you certainly dont talk about it on a public forum. If your going to seel it to them illeagally then you just do it. why would there be any trick to it? its illagal so you just change money and beer. again its a bit of a silly question. unless of course we have all missed your point.

a donation tin also doesnt cut the mustard as your not a charity. its your mates just leave $ sitting around at your place then so be it (but then there is actually a legal arugment of theft but I wont go into that).

And no Im not being holier than thou. just making the 1 post on the subject.

You don't happen to be an ATO agent trying to entrap some potential bootleggers? :ph34r:

ATO not that devious or clever

....what's that helicopter doing landing on my lawn ..?

I make home brews for some old men in the local nursing home - they buy the kits and I make it for them. I get that brewing buzz from making beer (you know what I mean) and they get a cheap buzz. I love it when they debate the merits of Coopers kits v Tooheys kits v Homebrand kits - I haven't told them about the steeped grains, the added hops, the added malts. Gives them something to talk about, gives me some satisfaction helping the old blokes out.

I'm just hoping the original thread was sent in tongue in cheek. Blackbock's comments are the most pertinent. well said man.

Threads like this one do nothing but degrade the image of homebrewers. Most of us are trying to promote craftbrewing as a way of obtaining quality brews while carrying out a legitimate and worthwhile hobby.

If people are seen to be selling sly grog, it won't be long before we are all branded moonshiners and the government will pass some law banning homebrewing. People who sell homebrew/spirits are a menace and in most cases they are taking advantage of others anyway. They should, and will eventually be caught, and hopefully be stopped.

I would say do what ever you want, just don't tell the whole wide world about it. I'm sure AHB has its fair share of police, solicitors, government workers, ATO employees etc so it really is a stupid idea to post such a question on a forum.

If the original post was a hoax to try and get people to cough up about doing such activities then for christ sake do you really think we are all that stupid??

But anyway... don't do it, but if you must...keep it quiet!!!

Pok

I agree with all the negative comments and now add one.Presumably any one producing and selling liquids for human consumption has to get some licence to ensure the plant etc meets health standards so you would be in breach of that too.God help you if any of the drinkers ever feels his health has been affected by drinking your brew for which he paid.The ambulance chasing lawyers would have a field day.

I already make, sell and fly kites. Thanks for your advice though. (Buy the way, if you want to buy one of my, "hand crafted" high performance stunt kites drop me a PM)

Donation box sounds like the go.

Thanks guys.

Ok mate, you have the wrong idea and attitude towards homebrewing and i would like to dispell any misconception you may have about my donation jar.
Its not a way to make money, its there so i can that i can continue brewing and the people that want to help me out are free to. They are also allowed to take the beer for free if they wish.

Again, it is illegal what you intend on doing. If you want to make money through it or go through the channels as per the moderators advice. Otherwise get a job!! :p

:party:

So how do you go about selling your best brews for profit whilst dodging the law???

YOU DON'T !!!

Simple as that. No 'contributions to ingredients' or 'research' tin bullshit, no dodgy little grey area side-steps to try and outsmart the tax man or the law.

Being able to make our own brew (regardless of the way you want to look at it) is a priviledge gifted to us by Mr Whitlam - and people who abuse it in the fashion you are considering will only ever end up stuffing it up for the rest of us. The fact that you are talking about 'a tidy profit' from it as far as I am concerned drops you into a different category from us here altogether.

Tell your mates to HTFU and brew it themselves. The 'donations tin' is at the HBS - they can make their 'donation' there & turn up to your place with a bag of grain etc so you can help them make their own beer. I don't agree with the 'if you must do it keep it quiet' advice. Just don't do it. As far as I'm concerned this thread is placing our favourite past-time in jeopardy, and making us all look like a bunch of dodgy little bootleggers - and it should have been removed by the mods the minute it was posted.

Ring your local police, council & liquor licensing board and query the penalties involved for illegal production & sale of alcohol without a licence, tax evasion, excise evasion, breach of council planning & consents, breach of EPA regulations (all of which come into play the minute you want to sell beer) - then there will be legal fees, penalties on top of the unpaid tax, GST and excise, confiscation of equipment and possibly even the property that the brewing was done on (proceeds of crime act), JAIL, CRIMINAL RECORD..........

Hope your 'tidy profit' makes up for all that..... :huh: Surely it's much easier for your mates to come & do a brew day with you instead of make you risk all that? It only takes ONE person to accuse you of selling it for you to be up to your eyeballs in sh*t.

your mates will eventually tire of you making money off them too, so in the long run it's just not worth it. if one of your mates is hell bent on assisting you financially for drinking your brew then go halvies in the ingredients, brew it together then take half each at the end. (I'm no lawyer but that's gotta be legal doesnt it?). As the others have said a forum is not a good place to advertise you're doing something illegal, it's like people who put videos of themselves doing burnouts on youtube.

this has got to be a joke. Who the hell would pay for an extract beer anyway? :p

I just keep thinking, 'give a mate a beer and he will drink all night, teach him how to brew and he will have beer for you to drink all night'....

Scotty

Hey Grinder, you tight arse, how's the flame suit going?? getting a little hot in there I'll bet.

It's got be buggered how you would have any mates to drink your beer.

Hope your 'tidy profit' makes up for all that..... :huh: Surely it's much easier for your mates to come & do a brew day with you instead of make you risk all that? It only takes ONE person to accuse you of selling it for you to be up to your eyeballs in sh*t.

I find this the most amusing part about this thread...I have no doubt at all that there would be some law enforcement types browsing this forum on a regular basis, looking for just such a thread...and unlike the majority think, NOBODY is anonymous on the internet...

Within 24h of seeing a thread like this, they would have the posters name, address, occupation, drivers licence number etc etc and be putting together a nice profile!

Mates who buy from him probably wouldn't even realise that they had been "randomly" pulled over somewhere between his house and home for a visual inspection for homebrews in the car...the coppers might even ask questions about the slabs in the back as if they are brewers themselves...

My advice to Grinder would be, if you were even considering this, I wouldn't think any further as a bust is on it's way to you!

Remember when you get caught (unless you move to Greece or Spain) and go to jail you will become the donation jar. :lol:

I put this to you: If a mate has to make 50% profit off a mate for a beer that he made doing something he enjoyed doing, is he really a mate?

Here here!

gough_whitlam_its_time1.jpg

Don't do it. As has been pointed out in many of the posts above, it's illegal.
Also, don't give the megabrewers more ammunition to put pressure on governments to outlaw home brewing, and force us all into buying their crap instead.

lol this is a funny thread :)

No-one thinks he is just stirring shit? hehe

Completely off topic, not that it's a bad thing in this case, but kudos for FatGodzilla for mixing homebrewing and being a good b*stard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back