Selling Your Favourite Brew To Mates Etc. How To Do?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grinder

Reaction score
Hi Fellow brewers.
I have come up with some killer recipe's and reccon I could flog em off to my mates (& strangers) for a tidy profit.
It would be a win-win. Making around 50% profit per bottle.
It will be a much cheaper alternative for people to purchase from me than the local liquor shop and there should be repeat business, given the savings. The only problem is the law.
So how do you go about selling your best brews for profit whilst dodging the law???
All (non-conformist)l sugestions welcome
Cheers

Hi Fellow brewers.
I have come up with some killer recipe's and reccon I could flog em off to my mates (& strangers) for a tidy profit.
It will be a much cheaper alternative for people to purchase from me than the local liquor shop and there should be repeat business, given the savings. The only problem is the law.
So how do you go about selling your best brews for profit whilst dodging the law???
Cheers
shhhhh

well its illegal and i dont do it.
But i love brewing and to help me get through the bottles quickly i have a tin in my house that my flatmates donate to which helps me buy more ingredients and equipment. Its a win win situation for everyone... i get to brew more and they reap the fruits of my labour!

:party:

Probably best that you don't go advertising your intentions over the internet.
Cheers
Gerard

I assume you've checked the moderation guidelines grinder and you have confirmed that what you are proposing is legal in the country you are in. It certainly isn't in Australia. If you were suggesting something which was illegal then expect the moderators to delete your post.

Give the beer for free and charge a deposit for bottles.
Of course you'd have to give the money back once they are returned.
:rolleyes:

i will also be placing a donation tin on top of the kegerator just haven't got around to it yet

or you could just get your mates to buy all your ingredients and you can give them 'some' of the beer you make with it back.

The legal way is to apply for a brewers license, an excise license, etc. There is a thread about the topic here: click.

"Dodging the law" is not something we do here on AHB, although wimbymoonshine's suggestion is probably the best one. "Donations towards ingredients" in an honour box sounds pretty grey *this is not legal advice*.

Don't try and make money from homebrew because:

1. It makes you look like a coniver
2. It gives the craft a bad name
3. You could end up in court/jail

Sell them the wort and tell them to ferment there own.

Rich

ekin....just don't do it

"Dodging the law" is not something we do here on AHB, although wimbymoonshine's suggestion is probably the best one. "Donations towards ingredients" in an honour box sounds pretty grey *this is not legal advice*.

what if it's labeled for [research and development for the perfect beer] :D

In best pommy accent "is this a wind-up maate?"

and all this time I thought AHB was a cover for free satellite unlock codes!?

shhhhess!

reVox

Hi Fellow brewers.
Cheers

My suggestion would be to give up brewing and take up kite flying.

My suggestion would be to give up brewing and take up kite flying.

I already make, sell and fly kites. Thanks for your advice though. (Buy the way, if you want to buy one of my, "hand crafted" high performance stunt kites drop me a PM)

Donation box sounds like the go.

Thanks guys.

dont be a tightarse & let ya mates drink your kegs for free money on the fridge sounds like Ted Bullpit

To paraphrase Nancy Reagan

"Winners don't sell homebrew"

You are asking for a whole load of federal law whoopass. I heard a story of a guy who tried to do the same thing, selling homebrew and spirits, a couple of smart "customers" (may have been corrupt cops) told him in no uncertain terms that he was going to supply them with free samples every week from the point of their "discussion". He denied the request and was promptly reported and busted, bigtime.

The idea of pitching in for ingredients is probably about as far as you can go without problems.

Better rent/buy The Dukes of Hazzard and learn from them as they know how to get away with it for years.

Threads like this one do nothing but degrade the image of homebrewers. Most of us are trying to promote craftbrewing as a way of obtaining quality brews while carrying out a legitimate and worthwhile hobby.

If people are seen to be selling sly grog, it won't be long before we are all branded moonshiners and the government will pass some law banning homebrewing. People who sell homebrew/spirits are a menace and in most cases they are taking advantage of others anyway. They should, and will eventually be caught, and hopefully be stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back