Selling Your Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The alternative is to go the Contract Brewing route where you pay lets say $200 per keg to get your beer brewed at a licensed brewery and then you only have to convince the club to pay more for your beer than they do for VB.
Are there still licencing requirements for contract brewing?

Whilst the contracted brewery would hold the producers licence, would the person contracting the brewery to make the beer also require some kind of licence ie wholesale licence?

Are there still licencing requirements for contract brewing?

Whilst the contracted brewery would hold the producers licence, would the person contracting the brewery to make the beer also require some kind of licence ie wholesale licence?

Our producer/wholesaler licence only permits us to sell to someone with a liquor licence, so in the the opening case of this thread, we could only sell direct to the Bowls club.
We can still contract brew for someone who has no licence, but we have to make the sale direct to their customers who are licenced.

cheers Ross

2 things you cant avoid are

1. Death
2. taxes

just a reminder

Our producer/wholesaler licence only permits us to sell to someone with a liquor licence, so in the the opening case of this thread, we could only sell direct to the Bowls club.
We can still contract brew for someone who has no licence, but we have to make the sale direct to their customers who are licenced.

cheers Ross

Ross,

Just as a matter of interest, was it a pain in the ass to get the producer/wholesale license?

Laws are funny things aren't they?

Did you know that brothels are legal in NSW, but its illegal to advertise that anal penetration is available. So how would you charge out / request that particular service I wonder?
Talk about awkward!

I guess the lady may say she was 'gifting' her bottom, and the gentleman was simply 'donating' $75 because he's a bit of a philanthropist and fan of irony, and no agreement was entered into.

You may find a similar way to circumvent those pesky liquor laws.

A bit like this bloke.
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technolog...0602-1fhfp.html

Laws are funny things aren't they?

Did you know that brothels are legal in NSW, but its illegal to advertise that anal penetration is available. So how would you charge out / request that particular service I wonder?
Talk about awkward!

I guess the lady may say she was 'gifting' her bottom, and the gentleman was simply 'donating' $75 because he's a bit of a philanthropist and fan of irony, and no agreement was entered into.

You may find a similar way to circumvent those pesky liquor laws.

A bit like this bloke.
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technolog...0602-1fhfp.html

NICE! and the booze delivery service is funny too.

Ross,

Just as a matter of interest, was it a pain in the ass to get the producer/wholesale license?

No, we bought an exsisting brewery which made the process pretty straight forward. Would hate to do it from scratch.

Cheers Ross

What if you were export your homebrew? Would it be legal to sell in NZ etc?

Or anchor a barge in international waters, set up your brewery and sell booze to P&O cruise ships.
Where there's a will, there's a way.

Yeah, somewhere between Australia and Indonesia might see a steady flow of punters :lol:

Unless you can brew halal beer you may be in strife.

I'm thinking some corridor that sees a lot of Italian shipping. They seem to like a drink.

If the ATO get a snif that you maybe brewing beer and not telling them, they will tear you a new one, and it wont be pretty.

And the ATO dont muck about when it comes to illegall sale of ANY alcohol product

Yeah, I have to admit I didn't realise about the excise license stuff - it doesn't apply to wine or cider. I guess the government considers beer producers to be a much bigger risk than cider producers. Fair enough, they are a pretty disreputable bunch. still, if you can't post ill-informed opinion on a site like this I don't know what it is for. If you make cider you don't have to bother with all that stuff, just get a producer/wholesalers license and go for it. You can sell by the glass or at farmers markets, no trouble.

I stand by my comments about enforcement, there really isn't any enforcement of these things, the days of Al Capone vs the revenue men is long gone. But I also think, even if it was legal, it would hardly be worth it.

Yeah, I have to admit I didn't realise about the excise license stuff - it doesn't apply to wine or cider. I guess the government considers beer producers to be a much bigger risk than cider producers. Fair enough, they are a pretty disreputable bunch. still, if you can't post ill-informed opinion on a site like this I don't know what it is for. If you make cider you don't have to bother with all that stuff, just get a producer/wholesalers license and go for it. You can sell by the glass or at farmers markets, no trouble.
I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter what kind of alcoholic beverage you produce (beer, cider, wine or spirits), you need to be licences to produce/sell and pay excise to the government.

But I also think, even if it was legal, it would hardly be worth it.

It's really is not worth opening a microbrewery and pursuing your passion in this country. Who would want to shell out $50-100k and not be guaranteed to even get approval to open? Big business will, but the real brewers with passion, drive, and business acumen generally will not. There are better much things to do which won't risk your house, family, etc.

Latest posts

Back