Secondary mini regulator or valve for pouring pressure

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trustyrusty

Reaction score
Hi There

Wondering what the best way to maintain pouring pressure on kegs. I am researching spunding type, although more for fermentation and inline valves.
I am fing it hard to set 2 or 3 psi on main reg. I once got blow back full of beer and has never been the same for small changes, works fine for higher pressure. I would rather invest in spunding or inlet and have more fine tuning anyway.

Is there a spunding valve type that sits on the gas inlet? Or is an inlet pressure valve better. Cons I can see is you might need to swap out valve (or have to lines with diferent pressures) when you want more pressure, that is why a spunding valve type might be better is where you control the pressure,after pressurization, not before. I can see how spunding valve can maintain or get to a pressure, but ones I have seen dont seem to have gas in with valve

I was actually looking for a PRV that might be 2 or 3psi but only see 15psi?

Or mini- regulator for the corny keg? I seen mini ones that only seem to for CO2 bulbs?
I need for corny keg set up in fridge.

What are your thoughts.

Last edited:
You can use a mini reg with a full size co2 bottle which is what i did til i bought a decent reg, spunding valve is really only for pressure fermenting.
You need more like 5-10 psi for serving and you can either fit mini pressure reducing valves to each gas line or switch to the adjustable ball lock fittings which i have recently done.
You will constantly have flat beer if you use a PRV at 2-3 psi.

Thanks The only mini regs I have seen are for soda stream fitting, what make is your mini reg.. kegland have inlet pressure valves which might be better, but then you need different ones for different pressures, so mini reg is better.
thanks

I don't have too much experience with this. My kegerator set-up remains the same as it was originally about four years ago. My LHB gave me the details to work to. Basically I set my C02 pressure to 11/12psi to carbonate the keg in the kegerator. Takes about a week. I don't touch the regulator setting and rely on the length of beer hose to the tap to provide sufficient friction to slow the pour down to something acceptable. I think I have a bout 2 to 2.5 meters of hose coiled up into the top of the kegerator. From memory the calculation was supposed to reduce the pour pressure to around 4psi.

I get a bit of foam with the first poor but once the tap is cold subsequent pours are pretty much spot on and the amount of head on the beer is easily controllable. I think there are calculators around on line to work out the line length. I recall my LHB having a chart to work from.

I need to new regulator or invest in a system to control it better, regulator got full of beer and small adjustments are tricky..very stiff.

Thanks The only mini regs I have seen are for soda stream fitting, what make is your mini reg.. kegland have inlet pressure valves which might be better, but then you need different ones for different pressures, so mini reg is better.
thanks
Its a KL reg, you unscrew the soda bomb adapter and it then fits a bottle, the KL plastic mini valves is what i was referring to.

Back