Secondary ferment hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dagryll

Reaction score
This is really a question about yeast though.

I have a lager, about 8% to-be, coming to the end of diacetyl rest. I'd like to add the hop flowers I initially put into the boil into the secondary ferment. These hops were 90g added at 30, 10, and 0 min (30g each), so there's probably still a bit of aroma left in them....? Hops were frozen since boil.

My question, apart from whether I'll get any benefit from the old hops, is whether residual sugars on the hops will re-activate the yeast in the secondary ferment to the point of producing new diacetyl....? The yeast is Wy2278 "Czech Pils". The beer is a kit based Antipodean Schwarzbock experimental thingo, with Motueka hops. Coopers stout kit. Weird beer, I know, but what if....?

I'd really advise against that. You'll likely invite infection or at the least add less than desirable lager flavours. If you really need to dry hop it why not source some fresh hops. That way if it does turn out to your liking you're more likely to be able to reproduce it. But at the end of the day its your choice.

I can't imagine you'd get new diacetyl from any skerrick of anything fermentable on the hops - dry hopping doesn't create any discernible new fermentation. However I wouldn't do it.

If you really need to re-use the hop flowers, use them as extra flavour hops in a brew you will boil and see what you get from them. Freezing flowers wet means the cells will rupture and you can get weird flavours so tread with caution (or use new hops).

I've got to say, this beer turned out a treat. I didn't reuse the hops. In addition to that stated above it has 1.5kg of LDM and 450g dextrose. The Czech lager yeast and the B-Saaz work a treat, and not in the way I thought they would. It's just a super smooth brew leaning more towards a strong Porter rather than Stout. Not really a Baltic Porter though. And It hasn't even gone into lagering yet....

The kit's 71 IBUs must be just right for the gravity. Well balanced at 8% abv.

I've noticed much better results with kits using a lager yeast. The "twang" doesn't seem to be nearly as prominent, if it's there at all. Why is this?

Latest posts

Back